New Switch revision to use new Nvidia chip supporting DLSS

crispy4000

The new Switch iteration will support Nvidia’s Deep Learning Super Sampling, or DLSS, a novel rendering technology that uses artificial intelligence to deliver higher-fidelity graphics more efficiently. That will allow the console, which is also set for an OLED display upgrade, to reproduce game visuals at 4K quality when plugged into a TV, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the plan is not public.

The U.S. company’s new chipset will also bring a better CPU and increased memory. DLSS support will require new code to be added to games, so it’ll primarily be used to improve graphics on upcoming titles, said the people, including multiple game developers. Bloomberg News previously reported that the new Switch is likely to include a 7-inch OLED screen from Samsung Display Co. and couple the console’s release with a bounty of new games.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-23/nintendo-to-use-new-nvidia-graphics-chip-in-2021-switch-upgrade

Bit of a shame DLSS can't be applied universally.  Although not unexpected, since that's how it works on PC.  I really hope some of those 1st party games with troubles (ie: Age of Calamity, Xenoblade 2) get patched.

DLSS will make the 720p display less of a downside too.  At the right quality settings, it has a similar benefit to supersampling, resolving detail that wouldn't be there.  Results at 1080p have been pretty nuts, so hopefully it works out well here too.

... Also, fuck yes.  Lot of people said it just wasn't happening because no chip existed to fit the need.  But Nintendo would also be crazy not to fully leverage this tech and their partnership.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Better than PS5 confirmed.

If you really want to go there, AMD recently announced their ‘super resolution’ feature will not be AI based and will launch later this year.

We could see it on the PS5/Series consoles around the same time as the new Switch.  Probably won't be as good as DLSS, but we'll see.

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, GameDadGrant said:

$400?!? 

Fuck right off.

I'll pay it (after a trade in).  The Switch needs this more than the PS4/XB1 needed the Pro/X1X.

I'm not even mad at what the Switch was initially.  It's just that developers overshot it, including Nintendo themselves, practically from onset.  At this rate, I'd expect BoTW2 to run worse on an og Switch than BoTW1 did on Wii U.

DLSS on this thing will be worth paying for anyways.

10 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

$400 is a good price. The OG will still work for you bumpkins who don’t care. I would like to play games at a frame rate that doesn’t make me nauseous. 

I enjoy the nauseous feeling. It gives a sense of real immersion. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brick said:

Metroid Prime 4 launch for the Switch 2? I'd be OK with that lol. 

Either Metroid Prime 4 or BOTW 2. Damn it. Now I have 3 consoles I need to buy this year. I'd buy this just to play BOTW 2 in 4K with a steady framerate. This is a much needed update from Nintendo so my respect for them has elevated a little.

@SimpleG Still no way they’re going all in though.  I fully expect it to be equivalent to DLSS 4K performance mode, which upscales from 1080p.  Which still isn’t bad for the results it gets.  There would be trouble if Nintendo sets the bar any lower, like the ‘ultra performance’ mode reconstructing from 720p to 4k.  It’s not convincing.

I’m excited about 4K output regardless.  I may consider buying more indies on Switch now. 

4 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

$400 to play existing catalog at a steady frame rate and give games like Metroid 4 a chance to run decent?

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

Metroid 4? I've had it on preorder with Amazon since August 2018, I put it in as a speculative preoder right before they killed the 20% off preorders Prime benefit. :lol: