Valheim - Ashlands Major Update Released

JPDunks4

So Valheim has been taking the gaming world by storm the past 2-3 weeks.  I jumped onto it really early after seeing a few tweets about it.  I love this Genre, and this game has been top notch in the genre.  It's installation size is 1 GB, but the game itself is packed with content, and the way it handles progression and moves you forward through the game is extremely well done.

I was kind of shocked to see no one talking about it on here.  I have like 150-200 hours into it already.  I just finished basically the full "Story" that is available in the Early Access now, so will finally take a break to wait for more updates, but most likely will still jump on to play with friends.  

I have never played Terraria, but I've read its extremely similar in game design to that.  Others have said its a mix of Minecraft, Skyrim, and Dark Souls.  

If you have a PC capable of running it, I'd definitely recommend trying it out, especially if you have a small group that dig this style of survival/action rpg hybrid. 

A few screenshots of my first base setup with added bridge.

61A2A79D5718E4E15170B0DD14CAAFA53633548A (2560×1440)

949962E3B33D0D4B7BD125F7C46AA781E98C1AE0 (2560×1440)

B4D887571A5716163ACE978CA7E87090BC41DD9B (2560×1440)

This game is fucking dope. These are the kinds of games that I find myself more and more attracted to, far more than any big name exclusives. Not survival games, good lord I'm tired of survival games, but this kind of game in particular, something that seems so similar and like a known quantity on the surface, but just gets cooler and cooler and cooler the more you play. Baddass fucking game.

41 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

Do you need a group of people to enjoy this?

You can play Solo, I spent a lot of my playtime solo.  Our server had 3 dedicated players, but we all made our own bases in different areas of the map and did a lot of stuff ourselves, and only joined up for certain adventuring and boss fights.  If you prefer playing alone, I think it can still be enjoyed solo.

One of the great things about this game as well, is your character isn't tied to a server.  You can jump from world to world with your character and inventory, and continue to progress and collect items, so the drop in/drop out co-op aspect is very well done.  So even if you have your own private world you play on, you can always also have a separate server to play with friends as well.  

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It seemed  to come out of nowhere. Husband has been playing it obsessively with a group of his friends for the past couple weeks.

I love these types of games, and pretty regularly will search up and try to find upcoming multiplayer survival style games, and never saw this mentioned at all.  I happened to see a few people I follow on Twitter tweet about it, and mention how it had Overwhelmingly Positive reviews for an Early Access game.  I saw a few of their screenshots and checked out a few trailers, and bought it immediately.

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

how is the combat?

Fairly basic, but still fun and serves its purpose.  It's essentially a Dark Souls lite type of combat. 

The game is heavily based on a Stamina Bar.  Sprinting, Jumping, Swimming drain stamina, then attacking, dodging, and blocking also take stamina.  In combat, you can't attack if you are low stamina, if you try to block with low stamina you'll most likely fail and get damaged.  You can dodge roll with invincibility frames, but again, as long as you have stamina.  The more damage an attack is gonna do, the more stamina it'll take. 

There are different types of weapons, that all play slightly different.  A few different shields.  One shield allows you to time a parry which allows you to get critical hits.

There is also pretty good enemy variety as well for a game like this.  Each biome has its own unique enemies, and they all offer fairly unique challenges.  The difficulty progression as well feels pretty good.  And the 5 big Boss Battles, while not overly difficult at all, were all pretty well done as well.  

Dying drains some skill points, but if you die, you get a timer where you can retrieve your body without penalty of more skill drain if you die again.  Your grave will be there forever to retrieve your body as well, even if you die multiple times.  

• JPDunks4 changed the title to Valheim - Surpasses 5 million Sales and 500k Concurrent Players
9 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

I’ve been playing, it’s a blast. I like how the building actually requires you to follow general laws of physics as opposed to minecraft. 

Yeah, it's not perfect but generally speaking, needing proper structural integrity when building has been pretty cool.  Based on the name of the 1st Update they listed, seems like it might revolved around more Building options.  

See the source image

I found a very cool looking river running between two mountains, and wanted to build a Castle/Fort with a bridge spanning the mountains..  It's coming along, but man do I fear heights like crazy trying to do construction out on the limbs so high up.  I died once to fall damage thus far during the process.  I'll post when I'm almost complete.

I also am hosting a server on G-Portal, if anyone is interested I might be willing to let some others join in.  We have like 5 people that were pretty dedicated, most are taking breaks now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

So is this like Conan Exiles, but good?

I played a little Conan, but never got into it like I did Valheim.  Valheim feels much more like an ARPG with some minor survival elements.  I think a game like Conan was a bit more survival focused.  It really feels like the Devs took the most annoying aspects of survival games and kind of fixed or streamlined them.  

The main draw in this game is the way you progress through the game.  There are 5 big Boss's, and defeating each boss will drop something that helps open up the next step of the game, or reason to explore the next Biome.

So you spawn in the Meadows, the game gives you the location of the 1st Boss.  From there its up to you how to progress.  You can go try to tackle the boss immediately with essentially no gear.  You can go build a house and start exploring and collecting materials to be able to craft better armors and weapons to use on the 1st Boss.  You can advance to the other Biome areas, but are limited in what you can do there until you beat that 1st Boss. 

After killing that boss, you get certain stuff that opens up new crafting recipes, ect.  You can now craft new gear to use in the next Biome.  In that next biome area, there will be the location of the next boss hidden somewhere, so you need to explore those Biomes until you find it.   All while collection new materials to craft better gear. 

Then you beat that 2nd Boss, it drops something that opens up things that can be used for the next Biome, ect.  This repeats through the 4 Bosses, with the 5th boss currently being the end of the game.  It still is Early Access though so I believe there are a few more Biomes coming.  

Enemies and Biomes feel progressively harder and crafting better gear will definitely be a necessity.  Setting out to find new Biomes as you progress feels like an adventure, and there is a lot of cool stuff to run into.  The sense of discovery was really fun with my group of friends.  It's also one of the few games I've ever felt a sense of relief and safety returning back to my "Home" after a long expedition out to collect materials.

I had an absolutely blast playing it, and even though I think I've seen all there is to see for now, I still jump on to work on my new Fortress.

5 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Seems like the seed on our dedicated server is one of the rare, bugged ones where the interacting with the altar that puts the 4th boss on the map doesn't work. :/ Boo.

I believe there are 2 Alters for each boss, is it like that at both of them?

7 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Can't find the altars themselves... but I found 2 of the stones that should put the altar on the map and neither of those work.

Ah interesting.  Well if needed, could always let you know the login info for my Server, and your group could come  to my world to just do the Boss fight.  Due to the location of the 4th Boss, I think with some exploring you guys could find one of the Alters after some time.

2 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

Ah interesting.  Well if needed, could always let you know the login info for my Server, and your group could come  to my world to just do the Boss fight.  Due to the location of the 4th Boss, I think with some exploring you guys could find one of the Alters after some time.

I may do that, thanks. Seeing mixed reports online... some people think that if you run into the bug the altar doesn't exist at all, which is a bigger problem. :p

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

I bought this during the early hype but haven't played it yet. Is it fun if I just want to play solo and not work with anyone else?

I'm playing it mostly solo with friends hopping in here and there. Personally I love it, but it's one of those games - minecraft or what have you. If you don't like the monotony of going out, grabbing shit, coming back, crafting, going out again by yourself it won't be your bag. 

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

I know i'm necroing an old topic, but are any of you all still playing this?

I've only got about 400 hours into it, but i love the enhancements to the engine they made with Hearth and Home, and framerate is so much more stable with a lot of construction and ground deformation, compared to before

12 minutes ago, LionFranco said:

I know i'm necroing an old topic, but are any of you all still playing this?

I've only got about 400 hours into it, but i love the enhancements to the engine they made with Hearth and Home, and framerate is so much more stable with a lot of construction and ground deformation, compared to before

It being in early access was always kind of a sticking point for me. I really wanted to play it more as I had a ton of fun, but I'm to this day waiting for it to be complete.