Target joins Costco in dropping coconut milk brand over forced monkey labor allegations

19 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

How is this worse compared to us using animals to plow are fields, carry heavy loads and other animal labor work even today?

Monkeys' are seen as a higher intelligence being

On a small scale it really no different then a hunting dog or using a hawk but this is large scale and the animals are not coming from a domesticated source ,these are ripped out of the jungle. It also sounds like they being severely mistreated, most not all people who use animals to help farm or to hunt typically dont abuse their animals, they are expensive as hell and a well treated animal works harder then a mistreated one.

12 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:
slave-girl.jpg
LISTVERSE.COM

Slavery came to an end in 1865, and the world never had to deal with the ugliness of forced labor ever again. Sadly, only part of that sentence is true.

Why can’t both animal mistreatment and [human] labor abuses be bad and condemned? Your post seemingly infers we should only choose one to be upset about or that the alternative to monkeys being mistreated is slavery.

11 hours ago, SimpleG said:

Monkeys' are seen as a higher intelligence being

On a small scale it really no different then a hunting dog or using a hawk but this is large scale and the animals are not coming from a domesticated source ,these are ripped out of the jungle. It also sounds like they being severely mistreated, most not all people who use animals to help farm or to hunt typically dont abuse their animals, they are expensive as hell and a well treated animal works harder then a mistreated one.

Its not the same as a hunting dog. Hounds live for following trails, even if they have never been trained. Same with Labs and retrieving. I would say its more akin to oxen or horses pulling carts and being used to plow, as said above. But even then workehorses (Clydesdales usually) were also bred to work. 

I don’t know, none of those things seem anywhere near as problematic as forced labor of monkees, but I also am sure my own prejudice is a part of that.

15 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Why can’t both animal mistreatment and [human] labor abuses be bad and condemned? Your post seemingly  infers we should only choose one to be upset about or that the alternative to monkeys being mistreated is slavery.

I think he was just inferring humans are terrible 

8 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Why can’t both animal mistreatment and [human] labor abuses be bad and condemned? Your post seemingly infers we should only choose one to be upset about or that the alternative to monkeys being mistreated is slavery.

Target and Cosco stopping the sale of one product while continuing to sell thousands of other items made by animal mistreatment and [human] labor abuses. Why pick one item to be upset about and ignore all the others?

29 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Target and Cosco stopping the sale of one product while continuing to sell thousands of other items made by animal mistreatment and [human] labor abuses. Why pick one item to be upset about and ignore all the others?

Better to ignore all of them, yeah? Great point.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

Cool cool cool. Better to just not care about any of them, right?

:rolleyes:

EDIT: lol, I didn’t even notice @Joe’s post above :p 

This just seems like they are trying to earn good PR over allegations... Maybe instead they should take a stand against the slave labor in China. Boo hoo maybe some monkeys are being forced to climb a tree... meanwhile Nazi German I mean China is forcing an ethnic minority into concentration camps.

2 hours ago, DPCyric said:

This just seems like they are trying to earn good PR over allegations... Maybe instead they should take a stand against the slave labor in China. Boo hoo maybe some monkeys are being forced to climb a tree... meanwhile Nazi German I mean China is forcing an ethnic minority into concentration camps.

Yes, and tell me, what control do they have over china?

So absurd to be upset about this.

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Wait, absurd to be upset about human rights violations in China?

No, absurd to be upset because Costco took a stand against one. 

There is nothing costco can do about china except for destroying their own business.

These same people happily buy Nintendo products (myself included), while they DIRECTLY profit from chinese slave labor of Muslims.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

There is nothing costco can do about china except for destroying their own business.

These same people happily buy Nintendo products (myself included), while they DIRECTLY profit from chinese slave labor of Muslims.

Got it. Thanks for clarifying. 
I think there’s room to be upset about all of it without “what about X?!?!?” in all honesty. :sun: 

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

Yes, and tell me, what control do they have over china?

So absurd to be upset about this.

Well they have removed a product over allegations alone (from fucking PETA). Why not remove products with more substancive evidence? 

53 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

There is a list of companies directly profiting from Muslim slave labor they can stop carrying those products. My desire to buy any products from the companies on that list have severely diminished. This stand on potential slave monkey labor just seems rediculous with whats going on in China.

11 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

There is a list of companies directly profiting from Muslim slave labor they can stop carrying those products. My desire to buy any products from the companies on that list have severely diminished. This stand on potential slave monkey labor just seems rediculous with whats going on in China.

I'm fairly certain we can be outraged over all of these issues, all at once. No?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

Doesn't appear that way from Costco and Target.

We're talking about ourselves, not them. Companies will do whatever is most beneficial for them first monetarily, then PR secondarily. Nothing else enters into their calculus most of the time. That's been true for as long as there's been companies/merchants.