Nintendo should just make a powerful console.

CastletonSnob

God I have so many things I agree and disagree with in this thread for vastly different reasons especially with the OP. 

Do I wish Nintendo made more powerful hardware? Yes? I mean it would be nice, and I’m willing to pay more for like better hardware that will run games better... but what is this 3rd party discussion? You’re not going to play third party games on your Nintendo console even if they’re there. Come on now. Nobody does that, and if you do do that with some of the games that are on there, what’s wrong with you and why do you hate yourself? 

Nintendo is a very anti consumer company, I totally agree with many people on that, it’s hard to argue they’re not. I also don’t believe the people making some of the most important decisions at Nintendo understand what does and does not make their hardware successful - they often learn the wrong lessons from their success. 

At the same time I think calling them a shit company is hyperbolic. They still make fantastic software and overall I think the switch is an excellent console even though I have my quibbles with it. 

Also I think anyone who thinks the PS2 sold so well because it was a DVD player probably wasn’t around in those days lol 

"The casual gamers who only buy Pokemon and Animal Crossing aren't moving the needle".

Have you seen the sales for Sword and Shield and New Horizon? Clearly, they ARE moving the needle. And casual gamers make up the majority of gamers, which is why the Wii sold so well, and why mobile gamers outnumber console and PC gamers COMBINED.

4 minutes ago, CastletonSnob said:

"The casual gamers who only buy Pokemon and Animal Crossing aren't moving the needle".

Have you seen the sales for Sword and Shield and New Horizon? Clearly, they ARE moving the needle. And casual gamers make up the majority of gamers, which is why the Wii sold so well, and why mobile gamers outnumber console and PC gamers COMBINED.

Are you like from a time machine from 2005? 

I swear you posted another thread that just was like you missed 15 years of discourse lol. 

3 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

So you haven't enjoyed Nintendo in nearly 20 years, but the most recent Zelda is one of your favorite games. Gotcha.

I will say the most amazing thing I ever witnessed in videogame history imo was playing Mario 64 for the first time. Nintendo has given me good memories I'm not denying that. It's just basically from the Wii on Nintendo has been trash to me. Of course there are a few gems throughout the years but overall I really dislike Nintendo. Their target audience is 8 yrs old.

21 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I will say the most amazing thing I ever witnessed in videogame history imo was playing Mario 64 for the first time. Nintendo has given me good memories I'm not denying that. It's just basically from the Wii on Nintendo has been trash to me. Of course there are a few gems throughout the years but overall I really dislike Nintendo. Their target audience is 8 yrs old.

I really have stepped back 15 years in the past.

9 minutes ago, Joe said:

If you need Nintendo games to have amazing graphics, you are not the target audience for Nintendo games. And that's ok! 

Power doesn't mean better looking.

More power could also lead to better performance in the games. For instance in animal crossing when I go up a hill and the framerate drops because there are so many flowers, that's kind of embarrassing.

I've done what I almost never do and just skipped to the last page without reading literally any of the thread because I'll just state this: Nintendo should make games at least as powerful as they need to be to run their own games very well. The Switch hasn't even been powerful enough to get their first-party shit running up to par. Odyssey may have ran great, but BotW ran and continues to run like ass, just less like ass than at launch. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was a performance disaster, and I think that kind of showing is a damn shame. I don't care if their console is "powerful," just that maybe they should take their most intensive game, and get it running at native res (whatever that might be) and 60 FPS, and then that should be the minimum power their machine should have.

And also whoever is in charge of their online infrastructure needs to be bled out on a street corner so I can watch them suffer. But only a little bit. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I've done what I almost never do and just skipped to the last page without reading literally any of the thread because I'll just state this: Nintendo should make games at least as powerful as they need to be to run their own games very well. The Switch hasn't even been powerful enough to get their first-party shit running up to par. Odyssey may have ran great, but BotW ran and continues to run like ass, just less like ass than at launch. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was a performance disaster, and I think that kind of showing is a damn shame. I don't care if their console is "powerful," just that maybe they should take their most intensive game, and get it running at native res (whatever that might be) and 60 FPS, and then that should be the minimum power their machine should have.

And also whoever is in charge of their online infrastructure needs to be bled out on a street corner so I can watch them suffer. But only a little bit. 

God I love you. 

On 1/2/2021 at 5:53 PM, CastletonSnob said:

The PS2 sold as well as it did because it was a lot of people's first DVD player.

No, it sold as well as it did because of games.

Which is why your original argument is absurd, because Nintendo has some of the best games ever made, and that's all that matters. It's also why the switch is the best selling console 25 months straight.

On 1/2/2021 at 4:39 PM, best3444 said:

I personally stopped enjoying Nintendo after the GameCube. I think they're garbage now. Their prices are ridiculous and they release one good game every 2-3 years. Thank God for Microsoft and Sony.

Yeah, it's obvious you ignored Nintendo since GC if you believe anything you just wrote. 

19 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

I mean i buy a ton of games, so yeah losing people like me hurts. Obviously one person won't make or break them but it's not like I am the only person who feels this way. If people like me leave en masse it's going to hurt. The casual gamers who only buy pokemon and animal crossing aren't moving the needle. 

The 26 million who bought animal crossing last year don't move the needle? Some of you are being absurd. The switch is selling at a faster pace than the wii, and everything Nintendo touches sells 10+ million.

And when they release a Switch Pro, they'll sell another 40m. They are like Apple, except with IP's. The idea they need a powerful console is absurd when they are literally the console sales leader.

18 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Is it? Name the AAA titles that came out last year...or the year before.

Animal Crossing (26m sold), Paper Mario, of course other games got delayed due to this thing called a pandemic. Pokémon games (not for me, but definitely AAA), Luigi's Mansion, Links Awakening, Mario Maker, Fire Emblem, Yoshi's Crafted World. And that's just for Switch.

Just now, best3444 said:

Rdr2 is my favorite game this gen. We just have different tastes.

And that's fine, but you saying Nintendo doesn't release games is absurd. Nobody said you have to like Nintendo, but saying they target 8 year Olds is a terrible take. 8 year Olds didn't buy 70m consoles in 3 1/2 years.

31 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

And that's fine, but you saying Nintendo doesn't release games is absurd. Nobody said you have to like Nintendo, but saying they target 8 year Olds is a terrible take. 8 year Olds didn't buy 70m consoles in 3 1/2 years.

If we’re talking about terrible takes, You also said that a remake of a 25-year old Gameboy game was a AAA-release. 

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Animal Crossing (26m sold), Paper Mario, of course other games got delayed due to this thing called a pandemic. Pokémon games (not for me, but definitely AAA), Luigi's Mansion, Links Awakening, Mario Maker, Fire Emblem, Yoshi's Crafted World. And that's just for Switch.

You could probably add the Xenoblade Chronicles remake to that with the effort that was put in.

I'm not that impressed by Nintendo's Switch output after its stellar first year or so, especially after consolidating their teams to work on a single platform.  

...But it's not bad either.  Just wish we could have seen Metroid Prime 4 by now.