Nintendo should just make a powerful console.

CastletonSnob

4 hours ago, CastletonSnob said:

Why do we give Nintendo a pass for not making a powerful console like Sony and Microsoft? Why do we let them be different for the sake of being different? A triangular wheel is different, but that doesn't make it useful.

If Nintendo wants to get third party support, they need to make a powerful console. It's as simple as that.

They should just release their games on other platforms.

2 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Nintendo may just stumble into it to some degree with DLSS 2.0.  Producing a handheld as capable as a 2060 could work well enough, especially at handheld resolutions.  Nvidia was a great partner choice for them.

A 2060 mobile has ~115W power draw.  The Nintendo Switch is 15W.  It is going to be awhile before a <25W 2060 comparable chip can be produced.

2 hours ago, SimpleG said:
1280x720.jpg
WWW.NINTENDOLIFE.COM

Overtakes the NES - The Nintendo Switch has reached a grand total of 68.30 million hardware sales, officially overtaking t...

Clearly they should stop making hardware

That's fantastic. Even though I think Nintendo is garbage I understand that they are innovative and have a much larger user base. 

4 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

A 2060 mobile has ~115W power draw.  The Nintendo Switch is 15W.  It is going to be awhile before a <25W 2060 comparable chip can be produced.

Fair enough.  But it really wouldn’t need to be anything close to that if reconstructed-to 1080p was the handheld target.

"We" don't let Nintendo do anything. People who have a life style heavily centered around gaming like to believe we could make Nintendo change their ways. That is not reality. Nintendo's brand has mass appeal and they can and will release whatever the Hell they want, and the world will buy it, virtual boy and Wii-U aside! :p Most casual gamers do not give a damn if a system sports the latest graphics and Nintendo has sculpted its IPs art styles to support a minimal hardware requirement approach. Since the time of massive corporations decided to swim in the same waters as Nintendo, they have wisely decided to focus on what they can do differently. I'd say it's not hurting them one bit! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

They should just release their games on other platforms.

Why on Earth would they do that? 

46 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Nintendo is like the apple of consoles. People see the name and buy it no matter what. Even though Nintendo is pretty much the worst company out of the 3 when it comes accommodating their fans. As long as they can get away with it they'll keep doing what they want to do.

I don’t want to blame you for forgetting all about the Wii U... but I kind of do.  I mean, it’s a lot more recent than the Virtual Boy.  Or even the 3DS’s struggles out if the gate (and Nintendo’s response to it).

Real true gamers love their Nintendo hyperbole I suppose.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

I don’t want to blame you for forgetting all about the Wii U... but I kind of do.  I mean, it’s a lot more recent than the Virtual Boy.  Or even the 3DS’s struggles out if the gate (and Nintendo’s response to it).

Real true gamers love their Nintendo hyperbole I suppose.

Wii U was an interesting situation. Just like Microsoft trying to push the all digital future or voice controlled devices, they were ahead of the game. (Guess what people are starting to come around on both) Wii U was the first step up console, like the PS4 pro or XboneX, or like how people were saying, "It's confusing there is series X and S" but guess what they're all selling out of the butt! Wii U was just too ahead of it's time.

• Guillotine 1

46 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It's true... The PS3 also helped Bluray beat HD-DVD. The Ps2's DVD player was pretty good too for the price.

PS3 kind of blew up in Sony's face though because of how many people bought it solely because it was being touted as the cheapest Bluray player and then never bought a single game for it. Which is something I'm sure Nintendo looked at as validation for their business model. 

Fucking ridiculous the Switch still doesn't have Netflix doe. 

7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Wii U was an interesting situation. Just like Microsoft trying to push the all digital future or voice controlled devices, they were ahead of the game. (Guess what people are starting to come around on both) Wii U was the first step up console, like the PS4 pro or XboneX, or like how people were saying, "It's confusing there is series X and S" but guess what they're all selling out of the butt! Wii U was just too ahead of it's time.

Either you never paid enough attention to what the Wii U was or this is a joke post.

34 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Either you never paid enough attention to what the Wii U was or this is a joke post.

Hes not wrong though. The marketing on it was terrible and they drastically underestimated the casual markets desire to upgrade their Wii. They also clearly were already thinking of the Switch concept. It is an interesting console. It’s not a good console. But def interesting. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Hes not wrong though. The marketing on it was terrible and they drastically underestimated the casual markets desire to upgrade their Wii. They also clearly were already thinking of the Switch concept. It is an interesting console. It’s not a good console. But def interesting. 

He absolutely is.  The Wii U is not akin to the Pro/X1X.  There's a hard generational divide between it and the Wii.  It's still Nintendo's biggest leap in specs in nearly 2 decades.  Infamously their development teams weren't ready for the jump, causing delays of games like Mario Kart 8 and Pikmin 3.

Bad marketing doesn't change what the Wii U physically was.  Nintendo thought Wii to Wii U would be interpreted the same way as NES to Super NES.

• Guillotine 2

6 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The Wii-U was Nintendo’s Kinect - except they couldn’t unbundle the Wii-U controller. It was an expensive accessory that added nothing to gameplay in most games, yet added significantly to the cost of the hardware. 

Probably more of a Kinect 2.0 that couldn't be unbundled, given the circumstance of a new console releasing with it.

Nintendo is a shit company that is run like they're smarter than everyone else when in reality they'd have gone belly-up after the wii-u if they didnt have 30 years worth of nostolgia to fall back on. 

I like my switch but I think it will probably be the last nintendo console i ever buy if they dont pull their heads out if their asses and stop fucking over their fans with their bullshit policies and shitty hardware.

13 hours ago, Joe said:

Why on Earth would they do that? 

Because they are making half the profits and selling half the units of hardware they were 10 years ago -- despite having a best selling console in the Switch.  They have demonstrated that while they can make hardware that is a "hit" -- like Wii, SNES, Switch, DS, Gameboy -- they are also capable of releasing sales disasters -- like Wii-U, Virtual Boy, N64 and Gamecube.

For the most part, unlike Sony and MS, they haven't been able to drive significant subscription services and 3rd party game royalty sources of revenue.

They could dramatically increase their potential audience, and reduce their revenue/profit risk (see what happened over most of the last 10 years).  Because they are limiting their audience to their hardware, when they have the inevitable sales "miss" (which historically seems to be ~ half the time), the sales on their software falls dramatically.

1 hour ago, thedarkstark said:

Nintendo is a shit company that is run like they're smarter than everyone else when in reality they'd have gone belly-up after the wii-u if they didnt have 30 years worth of nostolgia to fall back on. 

I like my switch but I think it will probably be the last nintendo console i ever buy if they dont pull their heads out if their asses and stop fucking over their fans with their bullshit policies and shitty hardware.

Well said.👌 

I'm sure they are gonna miss you big time

5 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I'm sure they are gonna miss you big time

I mean i buy a ton of games, so yeah losing people like me hurts. Obviously one person won't make or break them but it's not like I am the only person who feels this way. If people like me leave en masse it's going to hurt. The casual gamers who only buy pokemon and animal crossing aren't moving the needle. 

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Because they are making half the profits and selling half the units of hardware they were 10 years ago -- despite having a best selling console in the Switch.  They have demonstrated that while they can make hardware that is a "hit" -- like Wii, SNES, Switch, DS, Gameboy -- they are also capable of releasing sales disasters -- like Wii-U, Virtual Boy, N64 and Gamecube.

For the most part, unlike Sony and MS, they haven't been able to drive significant subscription services and 3rd party game royalty sources of revenue.

They could dramatically increase their potential audience, and reduce their revenue/profit risk (see what happened over most of the last 10 years).  Because they are limiting their audience to their hardware, when they have the inevitable sales "miss" (which historically seems to be ~ half the time), the sales on their software falls dramatically.

They were on pace to match their previous revenue highs before COVID hit. They are not going the way of SEGA anytime soon, thankfully.

I mean i buy a ton of games, so yeah losing people like me hurts. Obviously one person won't make or break them but it's not like I am the only person who feels this way. If people like me leave en masse it's going to hurt. The casual gamers who only buy pokemon and animal crossing aren't moving the needle. 

The only things they've done lately to piss the average consumer off are the online paywall subscription (which PSN and XBL should also be chastised for) and the lack of price drops.  And really, I don't think many people are all that pissed about any of that.  Smash, Zelda, 3d Mario, etc, are selling much better than they did in the Wii era, which was already gamgbusters for them.  Animal Crossing is the biggest it’s ever been as well, its audience got much bigger with COVID.

There's drama with the Smash community and Youtube, but that's all par for the course for them and is nothing new.  If you're outraged about it, you've always been outraged about it.  People were much more pissed about loot boxes, or Sony's hesitancy toward cross-play, than anything Nintendo's done with the Switch.

I'm just not seeing outrage that’s going to break their back again.  They'd have to fuck up their next hardware release in ways we don't yet know about to get to another Wii U-like flop.