Breaking: suspected car bomb explosion in downtown Nashville

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

@CayceG - this is your neck of the woods so can you inform us on this one?

I'll update later with what I know. 

First off, I'm fine. I'm actually out of town at my Mom's for Christmas. We're about 2 hours away in the country. 

All my friends in town--no matter where they lived--heard this. 

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Fuck. Is this in a commercial area, residential, etc? Does anyone know?

So where this exploded is 2nd avenue. It's one of the heaviest tourist areas in the city. There are residences nearby, but all the street level businesses are things like bars, restaurants, and shops. 

I guess it happened some time around 630 am on Christmas Day.... so there wasn't anyone on the street. 

3 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I mean, are we to the point where we have to consider such actions by 5Gers?

I know they were destroying towers in England for a while....

Maybe?

I just don't know what goes on in that building--or the conspiracies as to what might be going on in them. 

Update from the FBI and ATF:

Several buildings on 2nd Ave have structural damage. They will sweep the buildings and inspect them with the Fire Departments to determine damage. 

In the briefing, the FBI said officers responded to a shots fired call (this matches many reports from witnesses). They encountered an RV that was playing a "go away" message. The FBI says there were announcements coming from the RV.  (Witness accounts and the videos say that the announcement was "please evacuate the area" and also included a COUNTDOWN timer starting at 30 minutes. Starting at 15 minutes it went minute-by-minute). The police went door to door to evacuate people after arriving on the scene, then the RV blew up.

They do not know whether anyone was in the RV when it blew up. Similarly, they don't know yet whether the AT&T building at the explosion site was the target, or whether it was merely coincidence. 

Just now, marioandsonic said:

What the fuck is going on?

Normal aftermath after an attack. 

News now reporting that A) power is shut off to the area, and B) AT&T has shut off some of their generators in their building. These make perfect sense as to why there's internet and phone outages. 

Here's damage to the building:

unknown.png?width=1191&height=670

AT&T reports service may be affected due to damage to their facilities. They are in contact with law enforcement and working quickly to restore service. 

Corporate stuff. Whatever. But they acknowledge that the outages are due to damage from this blast--not due to volume.