Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

Bloomberg takes more shots at Trump as he inches toward 2020 run

Bloomberg, who has made fighting global warming and the gun lobby central tenets of his political identity, made the case at Anselm College that climate change poses one of the biggest challenges to the planet, from increasing the risks from hurricanes and wildfires to killing iconic wildlife.

“To me, the government shutdown was an utter failure of executive leadership, and it's an example of just totally incompetent management that needlessly hurt millions of people,” Bloomberg said.

“I’m glad the shutdown is over for now, but the American people will continue paying a steep cost for the White’s House incompetence,” he continued, “because the president is fixated on a wall we don’t need instead of the real challenges we face: Creating good paying jobs; making health insurance more affordable; stopping the opioid crisis that is tearing so many families and communities apart; improving our public schools and making college more affordable; investing in our infrastructure; and the list goes on and on.”

Just now, Jason said:

I guess going after progressive ideas and Social Security/Medicare is a great way to siphon Democrats?

I mean, I guess we don't know if he'd play a spoiler role anyway (for all we know, the election won't be close either way), and I guess it's possible he can take more from the Dems, but I don't get why people already think that he'll cost Democrats the election (and I'm including non-Democrats in the people saying this).

7 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

He’ll pull anti-trump Republicans .. and with elective participation I can see why this might make some nervous .. but I don’t think those people could be relied on to vote dem anyway. 

I thought this was interesting/relevant. Crazy how close the support/oppose numbers are if you put the shoe on the other foot

3 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I guess going after progressive ideas and Social Security/Medicare is a great way to siphon Democrats?

I mean, I guess we don't know if he'd play a spoiler role anyway (for all we know, the election won't be close either way), and I guess it's possible he can take more from the Dems, but I don't get why people already think that he'll cost Democrats the election (and I'm including non-Democrats in the people saying this).

Because we've seen this movie before..  when Nader cost Gore the election and we got eight years of Bush. Some Dem strategists have run the numbers and have concluded that A Shultz run would indeed hurt the Dems and could cause Trump to get elected to a second term.

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Because we've seen this movie before..  when Nader cost Gore the election and we got eight years of Bush. Some Dem strategists have run the numbers and have concluded that A Shultz run would indeed hurt the Dems and could cause Trump to get elected to a second term.

Assuming hes going to pull from dems is silly, hes running very much on a fiscal conservative platform, and doesn't seem he will run at all anyways.

1 minute ago, PaladinSolo said:

Assuming hes going to pull from dems is silly, hes running very much on a fiscal conservative platform, and doesn't seem he will run at all anyways.

Hopefully he won't run... but it's not silly at all to assume he would pull from Dems and that kind of thinking is why Dems often lose races they should otherwise win.

16 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Hopefully he won't run... but it's not silly at all to assume he would pull from Dems and that kind of thinking is why Dems often lose races they should otherwise win.

You're trying to compare him to Nader, but hes nothing like Nader, who ran to the left of Gore, all but ensuring anyone who voted for him would have voted for Gore otherwise, Schultz is running to the right of every dem, even Bloomberg.  Polling on targeting SS and Medicare is in the single digits for support, which so far is like the only policy hes put out there, that and wrongly saying most americans don't support taxing the wealthy.  It just annoys me they keep calling him a centrist which apparently means hes not going to ban gays, put kids in a cage, and call people names.

41 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah, but in Nader's case, he could make a case that he's a progressive and not a corporate Democrat. Ideologically, he's completely different from Nader, and someone like Perot, who ran on opposition to NAFTA but with a socially liberal bend as well, was shown ultimately to not be a spoiler and attracted people from both parties (which makes sense since opposition to NAFTA attracts progressives and conservatives like Trump).

Is there actually an article that says Dem strategists did polling on this? I was under the assumption that people were just freaking out prematurely, but if they ran numbers, then that's really surprising to me.

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

"For years, Gabbard has been regarded as a rising star in the Democratic Party, and supporters hoped she could use a presidential bid to pressure party elites toward a non-interventionist foreign policy. But her early campaign stumbles and problems back home—where at times she’s had sky-high approval ratings—call into question whether the Hawaii lawmaker can compete on the national stage."

Very interesting.