Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

9 hours ago, Massdriver said:

If these mechanisms were in place, I wouldn't view wealth concentrations as a large concern since everyone would be guaranteed a decent standard of living. Between universal healthcare, a negative income tax, and wage subsides, I think that should alleviate enough net suffering. Inequality would still exist, but inequality itself is not a real concern in this context.  The concern is the well-being of the poor and middle class. That is the issue of moral significance. If the poor and middle class are doing well, then I don't feel compelled to destroy the upper class just because I want less inequality. 

I am also concerned about the global poor and absolute poverty, which is getting better. Markets and trade are giving billions of people better lives. The poor throughout the world mean something to me. I don't just consider how the system affects America. 

Edited

The problem is you seem to think any of these proposals would "destroy" the upper class, lol.  What would actually destroy the upper class is inequality getting to a point where this happens.

167640-004-90B75054.jpg

10 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

It's not getting worse - Compare the conditions of the poor in America 100 years ago to today and they are much better off in every imaginable way, despite the fact that there is a huge gap between the poor and rich today.  I simply reject the idea that income inequality, on it's own, is a nefarious thing, given the increasing standard of living and government benefits that afforded to the poor in America. 

The benefits to the poor (or middle class for that matter) in this country is a joke, and are constantly under attack from wealthy interests via the Republican party (primarily). And even still, compared to other wealthy countries even when controlling for taxes an transfers, we have a higher rate of poverty than comparable countries. Sure, we have cheap TV's and cell phones, (one time purchases which can be saved for and have varying degrees of quality) but we also have a decreasing life expectancy and millions with diseases related to extreme poverty and third world living conditions.

People  have little idea of how bad it is in some places here, and it goes double for those who try to minimize or down play how bad poverty is and how fucking good the wealthiest have it

21 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

A winning platform from another billionaire

I'm really wondering where the GOP goes when Trump loses in 2020, they've gone all in on him, and are considering not even allowing challengers, it seems almost like this is their last stand, and i can't imagine it survives in its current form.

43 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

I'm really wondering where the GOP goes when Trump loses in 2020, they've gone all in on him, and are considering not even allowing challengers, it seems almost like this is their last stand, and i can't imagine it survives in its current form.

The GOP will be fine for the foreseeable future. We’re not even a decade removed from the last time people predicted the death of the Republican Party. 

12 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

It's not getting worse - Compare the conditions of the poor in America 100 years ago to today and they are much better off in every imaginable way, despite the fact that there is a huge gap between the poor and rich today.  I simply reject the idea that income inequality, on it's own, is a nefarious thing, given the increasing standard of living and government benefits that afforded to the poor in America. 

This strikes me as a rather obtuse and shortsighted way of looking at income inequality. 

41 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

The GOP will be fine for the foreseeable future. We’re not even a decade removed from the last time people predicted the death of the Republican Party. 

This strikes me as a rather obtuse and shortsighted way of looking at income inequality. 

10 years ago there were 20 million less eligible millennial voters and 2 million more boomer voters, with Gen z looking to be even more hostile to the GOP than millennial. We are now at the tipping point where it will become impossible to win with just boomers especially with the younger gens being 2-1 against you and one of them hitting the age where they vote far more regularly. 

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

You mean the argument "You're not living in a shack with a dirt floor and the probability of dying from cholera/dysentery in your early 30s is practically non-existent" simply isn't sufficiently compelling enough to justify the existence of obscene concentrations of wealth?!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

We are also two years removed from the last time people predicted the death of the Democratic Party. Politics are fun lol.

5 minutes ago, Jose said:

We are also two years removed from the last time people predicted the death of the Democratic Party. Politics are fun lol.

The longer term problem for the party is their deepening embrace of rural white grievance politics, when whites are becoming less and less of the electorate as gen z and others are more diverse than ten years ago and able to vote in greater numbers,  and the country is becoming more Urban/suburban. 

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The longer term problem for the party is their deepening embrace of rural white grievance politics, when whites are becoming less and less of the electorate as gen z and others are more diverse than ten years ago and able to vote in greater numbers,  and the country is becoming more Urban/suburban. 

While this is true, we have to be careful to not overstate this effect. Had any other Republican been President during this midterm election, we would not have seen these absurd gains in suburbia. 

3 minutes ago, Jose said:

While this is true, we have to be careful to not overstate this effect. Had any other Republican been President during this midterm election, we would not have seen these absurd gains in suburbia. 

At the same time, I'm not 100% that rural America would have the turnout it does now since they came out in larger percentages in 2016.

6 minutes ago, Jose said:

I think Trump is just speeding the existing trends along. And is not like this is an overnight process that can't be reversed, but the Republican party should understand their brand for people that are now growing up is two of the objectively worst presidencies bookending an average president, or at least not god awful in comparison.

11 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

But also, here's something fun

If he runs as an independent there's a much, much better chance that Trump gets a second term

There's a much better chance he pulls from Trump more than any dem though, he wreaks of fiscal conservative, and would likely pull Republicans who don't like Trump. Put another way, dems especially younger ones are on the verge of demanding an official headsman position and putting people like him to the block on WH lawn. 

I can more easily see him pulling disaffected "centrists"/"moderates" from a bloody democratic primary that ends up putting someone more progressive as the nominee rather than a Joe Biden type. Trump may have some damage right now but the waivering Republicans will fall in line behind Trump no matter what come 2020, just like they did in 2016

2 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

You mean the argument "You're not living in a shack with a dirt floor and the probability of dying from cholera/dysentery in your early 30s is practically non-existent" simply isn't sufficiently compelling enough to justify the existence of obscene concentrations of wealth?!!

Poors these days aren’t crippled from polio yet they have the sack to be all “what have you done for me lately?” 

5 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

10 years ago there were 20 million less eligible millennial voters and 2 million more boomer voters, with Gen z looking to be even more hostile to the GOP than millennial. We are now at the tipping point where it will become impossible to win with just boomers especially with the younger gens being 2-1 against you and one of them hitting the age where they vote far more regularly. 

Maybe, but nothing is predetermined, and history is dialectical—pushes in one direction lead to the emergence of countervailing forces.  Look around the world: Orban , Duterte, Bolsonaro, Erdogan...all emerging long after everyone assumed, given the fall of the USSR and the end of the Cold War, that liberal democracy plus globalization would be the ‘way things are’ for the indefinite future, and some in places (ahem, Brazil) where the right wing was assumed to be ‘dead’.

Be complacent at your (and my) own peril.