Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

10 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Lincoln Chafee will run for president in 2020 as a Libertarian. Republican->Democrat->Libertarian

He made one debate in 2016 and promptly left the race the next day.

Moderator: why did you vote to repeal Glass-Steagall?

Chafee: I just arrived in the senate. My dad just died.

Moderator: ... are you saying you didn’t understand what you were voting on?

Chafee: *self-implodes*

I mean... I admired his use of the Homer Simpson defense 

793-E7-F70-D128-46-BE-9775-1-F78-B164-AB

53 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Which is more realistic: M4A or Mitch working with a democratic president?

M4A is more realistic. A theoretical Democratic majority in 10-15 years after a bunch of the boomers in the Senate die/retire. Plausible.

I don't see a scenario where McConnell would work with a Democratic president at anytime before his demise. He'd retire before he ever got to that point.

2 hours ago, Uaarkson said:

What is happening to the world. It’s just like an endless, shitty spiral into darkness. This must have been what it felt like to the educated classes of Europe in 1938.

A lot of terrible things happening on climate change and Trump. 

Image result for 28% of the wealth ever created

There are some good things happening too.

37 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

A lot of terrible things happening on climate change and Trump. 

Image result for 28% of the wealth ever created

There are some good things happening too.

Not getting into the criticism of these items and how they're presented, but writing off the one thing that will undo most of this progress is an interesting take

19 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Not getting into the criticism of these items and how they're presented, but writing off the one thing that will undo most of this progress is an interesting take

Assuming that human progress will stop because of climate change is a bewildering point of view.

9 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

How much of that "28% of all wealth ever created" went directly into the hands of the ultra-elite?

"Extreme poverty being halved" is also a very tenuous data point and furthermore, the rate of its "reduction" has slowed in the last few years.

Using a source listed in the image

Stagnation for the poorest

Many of the world’s poorest today live in countries that had very low economic growth in the past.9 Consider the case of Madagascar: In the last 20 years GDP per capita has not grown; and the number in extreme poverty increased almost one-for-one with total population.

Development economists have emphasized this for some time: The very poorest people in the world did not see their material living conditions improve.10 This fact is surely one of the biggest development failures of our time. Yet the stagnation of the world’s poorest countries is not as widely known as it should be – one reason is that we are not paying attention to poverty lines low enough to focus on what happens to the very poorest. This is an important reminder that one poverty line is not enough and we need to rely on several poverty lines – higher and lower than the international poverty line – to understand what is happening.

A rising global middle class and stagnation of the world’s poorest will also mean that a new divide at the lowest end of the global income distribution is opening up. We miss this if we only follow what is happening to the rapidly emerging global middle class or if we rely on global poverty lines that are not capturing what is happening to the poorest.

The projections suggest that over the coming decade the stagnation at the bottom will become very clear. The majority of the world’s poorest today live in economies that are not growing and half a billion face the prospect to remain stuck in extreme poverty.

This is terrible news.

Unfortunately, this is exactly how I thought the graphic would be greeted by some, as if the world can’t be getting better in some ways, even while we regress in others, and as if things can’t get better even if things are still bad. Carry on wallowing in sorrow. Forgive me for trying to offer a sliver of light and goodness to any subject here. 

28 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Or it will drive it. The article even talks about mitigation, but simply assumes these things wouldn’t be affordable.

We're not mitigating a damn thing. Whatever mitigation is necessary, we're doing the opposite.

For two, even half as much warming will cause millions to be displaced, and put billions more in danger of a major calamity

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Assuming that human progress will stop because of climate change is a bewildering point of view.

Especially when history is replete with instances where Humanity has, time and again, invented its way out of crises of its own making.

That’s kind of the cadence of our story, IMO. We screw things up and then, through some implausible feats of ingenuity, somehow fix it all at the last second.  Then, in the process of fixing it, we begin a new, yet greater screw-up.

I won’t deny climate change is a huge challenge we have to face, but I’m bullish on our chances of cleaning up our latest mess.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

We're not mitigating a damn thing. Whatever mitigation is necessary, we're doing the opposite.

For two, even half as much warming will cause millions to be displaced, and put billions more in danger of a major calamity

Mitigation of the effects...like, what the article you linked to discusses. 

Just now, sblfilms said:

Mitigation of the effects...like, what the article you linked to discusses. 

The only effective mitigation is prevention.

5 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Especially when history is replete with instances where Humanity has, time and again, invented its way out of crises of its own making.

That’s kind of the cadence of our story, IMO. We screw things up and then, through some implausible feats of ingenuity, somehow fix it all at the last second.  Then, in the process of fixing it, we begin a new, yet greater screw-up.

I won’t deny climate change is a huge challenge we have to face, but I’m bullish on our chances of cleaning up our latest mess.

Unless we start electing politicians who take climate change seriously, I am decidedly not.

5 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The only effective mitigation is prevention.

Prevention would be best, but it’s a flat out falsehood to say it’s the only thing that would be effective.