Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

Last I checked, Bernie did better than Hillary in West Virginia in 2016, but that didn't stop Manchin from endorsing Hillary (and later regretting it, which he likely just said because he was running for reelection).

I feel like long-term, Democrats having a consistent platform where these "far-left" ideas -- which actually would benefit people in his state -- would be more beneficial, but guys like Manchin don't deal with long-term solutions.

• Guillotine 1

35 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Yes, because government-owned multi-family units are very safe and well maintained. And wealth accumulation through home equity, as opposed to perpetual rent payments? Pft, who needs it.

Community land trusts are a far better usage of government land, money, and time.

Don't forget tenant-association owned apartments as an option, with construction funded by government money.

Look, the US has problems that make any solution impossible.

• Can't do rent control because then no new units will be built
  • Can't do big new private projects because people don't like big buildings beside them
  • Can't do government housing because the US government sucks at doing most things, and is also regularly gutted/defunded by GOP

In a properly-run state, government housing can work (it does in my city, quite well). You need what we call Crown Corporations, basically public entities that are operated at arm's-length to government, but receive all (or most of) their funding from it. 

18 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

In a properly-run state, government housing can work (it does in my city, quite well). You need what we call Crown Corporations, basically public entities that are operated at arm's-length to government, but receive all (or most of) their funding from it. 

That doesn't sound a whole lot different than a municipal authority, and in the US those are among the worst entities imaginable; they are run by unelected bureaucrats who are incredibly hard to hold accountable, and who have a keen sense to look out for their own interest above all else. 

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Look, the US has problems that make any solution impossible.

• Can't do rent control because then no new units will be built
  • Can't do big new private projects because people don't like big buildings beside them
  • Can't do government housing because the US government sucks at doing most things, and is also regularly gutted/defunded by GOP

My dude we can't get inlaw suites in detached garages, let alone put a duplex where a SFH currently stands

2 hours ago, Chris- said:

That doesn't sound a whole lot different than a municipal authority, and in the US those are among the worst entities imaginable; they are run by unelected bureaucrats who are incredibly hard to hold accountable, and who have a keen sense to look out for their own interest above all else. 

ELI5 community land trust. 

8 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It’s certainly true that the Southern Strategy was a big part of Nixon’s two electoral victories, (something the Atlantic doesn’t mention, which destroys that article’s credibility)—and that it wouldn’t be as effective today given the South’s changing demographics; how much of a factor it was vs the support for McGovern’s policies is kind of impossible to say, given the dataset we have and the difficulty in getting people to be honest about their racism in polls.  That still leaves Dukakis, though.

That’s why I say nobody really knows if a highly progressive/left candidate like Warren or Sanders could win convincingly.  Everyone has their narrative and their dataset and feels like they know—but they don’t.  You’d have to nominate and run one to find out.  But it’s hard to criticize people for being skeptical, as if it’s ‘obvious’ they’re wrong—whatever your argument is, the fact of the matter is that no candidate as progressive as Warren or Sanders has been elected since...well probably Roosevelt. (and Roosevelt didn’t fight very hard against racial inequity, thus giving him the support of the Dixiecrats and the electoral WMD of the South)  Maybe running one is a risk worth taking at some point, but when the price of being wrong is four years of a completely ‘off-the-leash’ Donald Trump, I don’t blame people for being risk-averse.

2 hours ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

That still leaves Dukakis, though

Only Michael Dukakis, who defeated centrists Al Gore and Gary Hart and went on to lose to George H. W. Bush in 1988, was anywhere close to the party's left flank. Even then he still defeated Jesse Jackson in the primary, who was briefly tied with Dukakis on the strength of his "Rainbow Coalition" messaging about building up a cross-racial working class movement — which as Ryan Grim writes in his book We've Got People, inspired wild panic among the Democratic party elite, who professed absolute certainty that a left-wing black man could not possibly win.

And this ignores the absolutely terrible candidate that was Dukakis, and the very strong economy of the US in 1987/1988. The tank photo op, the answer to the question of the death penalty, and fitting Donna brazille for bringing up ghwb's extramarital affair, especially after Dukakis bring chosen the nominee due to Gary Hart dropping out in large part.... Due to an extramarital affair.

36 minutes ago, elbobo said:

Warren released her plan to pay for her version of medicare for all, a big portion comes from a wealth tax which is very likely to be ruled unconstitutional so I don't know if that real qualifies as a solid plan.

I remember when the ACA would "likely" get struck down in 2012.

I can also conceive of some ways in which something resembling a wealth tax could pass constitutional muster.

I.e. combined assets for individuals and corporations valued over $50mm that have not been subject to income taxation in y number of years would have a penalty assessed at a rate of x% of the value of the combined assets over $50mm. Combined with increased corporate, capital gains, and income taxes on the wealthy and vigorous enforcement you could end up raising sufficient amounts of money to fund social programs, and get some capital off the sidelines as well. At first glance, this would appear to pass muster in a manner like in NFIB v Sebelius,

... it is abundantly clear the Constitution does not guarantee that individuals may avoid taxation through inactivity. A capitation, after all, is a tax that everyone must pay simply for existing, and capitations are expressly contemplated by the Constitution. The Court today holds that our Constitution protects us from federal regulation under the Commerce Clause so long as we abstain from the regulated activity. But from its creation, the Constitution has made no such promise with respect to taxes.

27 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

What's in it? I trust you'd understand a lot better than I lol

Every solution offered is the low end version of every disability sub group's little niche.

My big issue is Long Term Support Services, and the bulk of his solution in that area is the Disability Integration Act, something everyone running also supports. I love the Disability Integration Act, but it is a band aide solution over a fundamentally broken system, the Medicaid Waiver System. All the DIA does is give the states 10 years to eliminate waiver wait lists. This does nothing to address the fact that services vary greatly state to state based on the waiver program. New York and California have amazing 24/7 services, others barely offer 40 hours a week. Nothing about Medicaid privatization which has gotten PWDs killed. This plan does nothing to address coming Long Term Care crisis that the Boomers are going to cause in 10 years or so.

The other issue is worker with disabilities retaining Medicaid eligibility and therefore their Long Term Support Services. Most of use get Medicaid through SSI, but many of us have advanced degrees, so indexing SSI income and asset limits is nice, but it's still a massive economic restraint on workers with disabilities. I make about $40k a year but I can't have more than $2k in my bank account. I can't have a 401k, I can't have an HSA, and I can't have any liquid assets. What I am allowed to have is an ABLE Account, a government bank account with massive restrictions on how it can be spent. Oh, and those accounts may implode.