Uber and Lyft rise as investors expect California voters to pass Prop 22

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

People will unfortunately vote for convenience over labour rights.

The most batshit part of the proposition is that it requires 7/8ths of each chamber of the legislature to make any changes to it. Requiring 60% is one thing, but 87.5% is just nuts. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

The most batshit part of the proposition is that it requires 7/8ths of each chamber of the legislature to make any changes to it. Requiring 60% is one thing, but 87.5% is just nuts. 

Almost as if the very companies this regulates had a say in writing the law.

22 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

People will unfortunately vote for convenience over labour rights.

Yup, asked a few cousins and friends that live out there, all will vote for Joe today, but they will also vote for 22.

The rationale I've been given, they don't want to potentially take away jobs from people that want them, nor do they want to pay more for their rides. I'm sure the later is more important than the former. 

WWW.MSN.COM

In a major win for gig economy companies, CNN projects California voters have passed a costly and controversial ballot measure to exempt firms like Uber and Lyft from having to classify their gig workers in the state as employees rather than as independent contractors.

Robert Reich, a public policy professor at UC Berkeley and former Secretary of Labor in the Clinton administration who endorsed a No vote, told CNN Business last week that the outcome of the vote will be "very significant."

"Uber and Lyft figure if they win in California they can win political fights in the rest of the states, and probably Congress," said Reich in an e-mail. "Labor unions recognize its importance as well. If Uber and Lyft win this, more employers around the country will classify more of their employees as contract workers. That would mean big savings to employers, since contract workers don't get Social Security or worker's compensation, minimum wage, or other labor protections. By the same token, workers would be disadvantaged."

18 hours ago, Commodore D said:

Yup, asked a few cousins and friends that live out there, all will vote for Joe today, but they will also vote for 22.

The rationale I've been given, they don't want to potentially take away jobs from people that want them, nor do they want to pay more for their rides. I'm sure the later is more important than the former. 

I think you’re right. The yes on 22 propaganda was strong. I don’t even know if I saw one No on 22 commercial. They got fooled into bailing out million dollar corporations. 

Talked with some of my coworkers about this today and it seems like a lot of them just werent informed about prop 22 (not surprising considering the massive amounts of money pumped in from uber). I explained it to them and they seemed to regret voting yes on 22. They didnt even know uber and lyft were spending so much money on this. They just saw ads where it seemed like people would lose their jobs and were like ok that seems bad. I guess I should have been campaigning. @Jason

9 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Did anyone actually think people would vote to raise the price of their Uber/Lyft rides? That was a non-starter. I'm not at all shocked to see those one win out.

This is a win for consumers.

And for people who want a $15 ride from SNA to Disneyland.  

• Haha 1

Just now, mclumber1 said:

This is a win for consumers.

And for people who want a $15 ride from SNA to Disneyland.  

It's also a loss for the workers since they don't really get much in the way of protections. The problem is that people don't vote to protect workers at the cost of goods. Sure, they'd vote to increase workers' wages, but they aren't going for added protecting. Most aren't going to connect the dots when it comes to something as nebulous as the difference between employee and contractor. That was an impossible hill to climb.

3 hours ago, johnny said:

Talked with some of my coworkers about this today and it seems like a lot of them just werent informed about prop 22 (not surprising considering the massive amounts of money pumped in from uber). I explained it to them and they seemed to regret voting yes on 22. They didnt even know uber and lyft were spending so much money on this. They just saw ads where it seemed like people would lose their jobs and were like ok that seems bad. I guess I should have been campaigning. @Jason

Prop 15 also failed. :(

@b_m_b_m_b_m

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

California deserves everything it gets

Ugh, it looks like three of the four incumbents who were up for reelection on the city council here got voted out. They're replaced with idiots like one guy who put in his candidate statement "our only skyscrapers should be palm trees" (these morons think anything over two stories is a skyscraper). 

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK

New housing development here is going to grind to a complete halt for at least the next several years because of this. 

17 hours ago, Jason said:

Ugh, it looks like three of the four incumbents who were up for reelection on the city council here got voted out. They're replaced with idiots like one guy who put in his candidate statement "our only skyscrapers should be palm trees" (these morons think anything over two stories is a skyscraper). 

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK

New housing development here is going to grind to a complete halt for at least the next several years because of this. 

Paint all the new skyscrapers to look like palm trees.

duh-michelle.jpg?w=298&h=300

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
8 hours ago, outsida said:

Conspiracy Theorists: I never believed in global warming until I saw so many billionaires try to leave earth

I mentioned to someone the other day about how many billionaires have bought land in New Zealand, she didn't believe it, so I brought proof. It was funny.

To be fair, if I had that kind of money I'd probably own land on every continent, but there's a very specific reason billionaires want to buy land in New Zealand.