The dueling town halls -- Joe Biden on ABC and Donald Trump on NBC, starting at 8pm Eastern (Biden's is 90 minutes, Trump's is 60)

19 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The idea of this being what I was inferring is really fucking stupid, bud.

So is the idea that pointing out that SNL is sucking is calling for censorship. Yeah wanting the show to be better, be funnier is us wanting to censor it... :rolleyes:

I swear people don't even know what censorship means these days. 

2 minutes ago, Brick said:

So is the idea that pointing out that SNL is sucking is calling for censorship. Yeah wanting the show to be better, be funnier is us wanting to censor it... :rolleyes:

Echoes of right wing ghouls getting "cancelled" on twitter, only to be continually elevated professionally

31 minutes ago, Brick said:

What? When did I say anything about censorship? Did you quote the wrong person?

EDIT: nvm, you were talking about BH, I didn’t see his second post :p 

The Update guys are the best thing about SNL these days. The "We have a type" joke by Michael Che was better than anything they've done with Trump in those cold opens. But maybe that's because I enjoy stand-up more than sketch and Update is basically 2 stand-up routines. 

2 hours ago, Brick said:

They weren’t pointing out SNL sucks (which im sure most of us agree with). They were complaining about them attacking Biden the same way they do Trump. 

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

They weren’t pointing out SNL sucks (which im sure most of us agree with). They were complaining about them attacking Biden the same way they do Trump. 

That’s not even the complaint, actually. I said that they’re being “both sides-y” in their depiction of Biden. What do I mean by that? I’m talking about displaying Biden as senile; a Trump and GOP talking point that they’ve been pushing for months. SNL’s previous depictions of Biden, during the primaries, were hilarious - they poked fun at reality, that he’s a gaffe machine and says ridiculous shit and tells ridiculous stories. This depiction isn’t even parody: it’s helping the “he’s mentally unfit” crowd of nutjobs who claim Biden is just a puppet for Harris and other Dems.

2 hours ago, Chollowa said:

The Update guys are the best thing about SNL these days. The "We have a type" joke by Michael Che was better than anything they've done with Trump in those cold opens. But maybe that's because I enjoy stand-up more than sketch and Update is basically 2 stand-up routines. 

Seriously, the Don Jr and Eric Trump bits on weekend update are amazing.

There have been so many good skits on snl since I started watching on and off in 2016. Black Jeopardy with Tom Hanks was pretty damned good and one of my favs, but there's plenty. 

They've put a lot up online. I had no idea Darrell Hammond did All Gore in 2000. Holy smokes, he was on fire.

• Haha 1

SNL is kinda like wrestling. While it’s going on you feel like it sucks and isn’t even close to as good as it was a long time ago. Then you get 5-10 years removed from it and realize there was a lot of funny shit. 

SNL has almost never fired on all cylinders for whole seasons at a time. But there’s always some good stuff from each cast. There’s lots of funny shit right now they just can’t seem

to hit any HR complete episodes.

54 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

SNL is kinda like wrestling. While it’s going on you feel like it sucks and isn’t even close to as good as it was a long time ago. Then you get 5-10 years removed from it and realize there was a lot of funny shit. 

SNL has almost never fired on all cylinders for whole seasons at a time. But there’s always some good stuff from each cast. There’s lots of funny shit right now they just can’t seem

to hit any HR complete episodes.

I agree. Like More Cowbell. Great skit, but the whole episode didn't consist of a bunch of skits of that caliber. The Tom Hanks one from 2016 was as close to perfect as I remember recently.

Sketch comedy is a format that tends strongly towards boom and bust. It’s a tricky art form. But watch an episode from the 80s and most of it won’t land for you. I think the big difference to me is that some casts are better at over-performing weak sketches than others. I like that now I can just see the well liked sketches instead of tuning in to see a whole show which may only have one good bit the entire night.