Former Facebook Exec Worries That Site Could Spark a Civil War

I want to delete my account, but I do enjoy keeping up with certain people through it. And I'm in some enjoyable groups...for the most part. I just can't help but be amazed by how petty and hateful people can be over the dumbest shit. And the fucking misinformation. Christ almighty. I've removed a lot of the worst people and unfollowed some others(like family). It's helped some. I've also turned off all notifications.

I only created a fb account because it was required when I did contract work. Now that that is in the past I only keep it around so I can video chat with my parents on their portal (yeah I bought it for them) and because it's the only place I chat with people about 1/4 - 1/8 scale arcade replicas which I think is too much/nerdy for this board. :) The rest of FB I don't give two shits for.  

It’s pretty easy not to be FB friends with dipshits, but it probably helps that I’m from a historically blue county in mid-Michigan. I’ve effectively purged my friends list of anyone with opposing political views, thus creating an echo chamber, which is fine because none of it fucking matters. Hell, even this place, for all its intelligent and nuanced discussion, can get pretty echoey at times.

3 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

It’s pretty easy not to be FB friends with dipshits, but it probably helps that I’m from a historically blue county in mid-Michigan. I’ve effectively purged my friends list of anyone with opposing political views, thus creating an echo chamber, which is fine because none of it fucking matters. Hell, even this place, for all its intelligent and nuanced discussion, can get pretty echoey at times.

Cept here it's echoey like this

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Uaarkson said:

Even amongst like minded folks with similar political views the ignorance and misinformation on Facebook is astounding. I've only ever lived in three blue states and most of the people I've intereacted with are pretty reasonable... until you see their Facebook feeds. Far from spreading right wing political views, the bigger problem with Facebook is its blatant distortion of fact and truth. The worse part is Facebook KNOWS this is happening and allows it anyway. 

• Like 1

This site is a social as I get with media. I have a facebook account, but it has absolutely nothing related to me on it, and I use it for promos only. I have twitter, but I have never tweeted once. I think of twitter as a listening post that transmits oddities. Overall though, this kind of stuff is human crap salad. Facebook is the toilet of mankind's soul. In honor of that fact, "Webtoilet" is the name of my account! :sun:

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, osxmatt said:

Facebook is a right wing hellhole.

That sounds about right. Facebook is awful and literally at fault for much of the hyper partisanship and shit like QAnon going around. You think grandma is on Reddit and 8chan learning about Satanic cabals or whatever?

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

That sounds about right. Facebook is awful and literally at fault for much of the hyper partisanship and shit like QAnon going around. You think grandma is on Reddit and 8chan learning about Satanic cabals or whatever?

I had one grandparent left come Trump and I think he may have been the only person who hated Trump more than I do. <3

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

I had one grandparent left come Trump and I think he may have been the only person who hated Trump more than I do. <3

There's the old cliche about how "I liked that band before they were cool!".

Senior citizen progressives need a shirt that says,  "I hated Trump before he tried to kill us all".

52 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

When my grandfather was on his death bed, his last words were “Damn, I wanted to see Trump lose.”

Sadly, if my dad were still alive I have no doubt he would have been a hardcore Trumphead. He was the type that would have been drawn to Trump's tough guy act. Lifelong John Wayne fan.

My mom never really liked Trump, but she disliked Hillary even more. Mainly because she was the type of person that never thought Trump could win so she devoted very little time to having much of an opinion of him at all.

While she was mostly resistant to my criticism of Trump ever since his election(again, more indifferent than actively a fan) this past year with the virus has really turned her against him. Where as for the first three years I found myself sometimes having to stop myself from going off on yet another Trump rant, now she is the one sending me anti-Trump stuff on Facebook :lol:

Not sure if algorithm or coincidence. Today I saw a Toyota hybrid ad (part of a series featuring owners of Toyota hybrids) on Facebook and on seeing the 2 names in the caption I checked it out. It was my last elementary school teacher and his wife. Bit of a weird way to find out he had a stroke. 

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Turns out there's an off switch for this shit, but zuck doesn't want to

This isn't really news. Facebook employees have, for years, written up algorithms that would fix many of the problems associated with Facebook. It just hasn't happened because Zuck is a terrible person.

Nobody is forcing his hand. The largest social media conglomerate on the planet is run by a right wing sycophant who's more than glad to make authoritarian governments happy, but will do nothing for the mental health of its users. As long as the unwashed masses keep clicking and the authoritarians don't ban them, he's happy.