Oculus Quest 2: ~4k, 6GB RAM, 90hz, starts at $299

TwinIon

We should have a VR meet up this weekend and have what I think would be the first D1P VR meet up! Some VR chat rooms can have 30+ people. Let me know if you'd be interested and Ill set up an official meet up thread. Thinking Friday or Saturday night. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Does Alyx run without the cable?

16 minutes ago, Stickey said:

YES!!! Virtual Desktop, look at the tips thread!

The beauty of Virtual Desktop is that it allows you to play all the tethered PC VR games, wirelessly to the oculus and with better visuals than with the Link cable

27 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Does Alyx run without the cable?

Perfectly. I'd honestly avoid Link in general. It might be slightly better performance, but it's really a nightmare imo. USB-C cables simply aren't designed to be plugged into something that's constantly moving and twisting and the tips wear out over time. Which is a big deal given how fucking expensive the cables are.

Just now, Stickey said:

Did you get the headstrap or have you started modifying it yet? How's the strap comfort wise?

I'm using the elite strap. Almost all reviewers said it was a must have so I haven't even tried the stock strap. The elite strap is amazing. So much better than the Quest 1 imo.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rev said:

Perfectly. I'd honestly avoid Link in general. It might be slightly better performance, but it's really a nightmare imo. USB-C cables simply aren't designed to be plugged into something that's constantly moving and twisting and the tips wear out over time. Which is a big deal given how fucking expensive the cables are.

with all the reviews I've watched/read, they all say that VD is better visually than with the link cable because it compresses the visuals when it's connected via link

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Anybody have a good tutorial on setting up virtual desktop?

Virtual-Desktop-featured.jpg
TECHTIPSVR.COM

With Virtual Desktop from Virtual Desktop, Inc. you can use your PC from your within your Oculus Quest VR headset. You can do all the normal stuff you would do on your desktop like web browsing, spread-sheeting, or pretty much whatever else you might do on your computer, but with an resizable screen in a VR environment!Event Better, you can also play your PCVR (SteamVR or Oculus Rift) games wirelessly on your Oculus Quest by adding a...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Anybody have a good tutorial on setting up virtual desktop?

Go into your settings on your Oculus app on your phone and turn on developer mode. To do this, you click on the device then More Settings, then turn on developer mode. Then plug your Quest into your PC and download/run Sidequest. Once you're in, go to virtual desktop and install it to your Quest (this is just an add on to the virtual desktop you already paid for, assuming it's already installed on your Quest). That's it. Now when you run Virtual Desktop and link to your PC, you should see a tab for Games or SteamVR. There's also a Virtual Desktop Streamer app you need installed on your PC.

Mine didn't arrive until late in the evening so I didn't get to play before work :nottalking: I haven't decided what I will play first maybe (most likely) Rez Infinite so I can compare it to the PSVR version... However I've got very little experience with motion controls (like just a few minutes of a bowling game on the Wii) so maybe I will start with Until You Fall :thinking:

So I searched in the store and couldn't find Rez got Until You Fall as my first game instead... There are so many things I love about the system and the image quality is amazing (screen door effect is almost gone). Until You Fall is great and feels like it will be one of those games I always come back to. After a bit of Until You Fall I wanted to get something music heavy on and hit the store again to find Rez. I got Rez, put my Velodyne V-Pulse's on (dunno if these are still available but I highly recommend them for music games) and zoned out till the battery died. Max system volume seems a little low maybe gonna have to hook up an amp on my next go :thinking:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Derek said:

Is this one of those 'better buy it now or you'll never get to' items?

No I've heard that they drastically increased production after the last model kept selling out.

I've decided to wait on some of the older titles I want to go on sale. The next game I buy will be Dash Dash World then Pistol Whip when I get some controller shells.

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

I was hoping that I wouldn't need any of the add-ons, but I think I might have to get the "elite" head strap and the fit pack. I spent a long time last night trying and failing to get it to fit comfortably without any reality spilling in. 

• Thanks 1