Oculus Quest 2: ~4k, 6GB RAM, 90hz, starts at $299

TwinIon

On 9/25/2020 at 3:36 PM, thedarkstark said:

It looks great but I'm not really interested in buying anything owned by facebook. I'll wait to see with the next valve and htc offerings bring.

Being owned by Facebook was never great, but was something I could have overlooked. Fuck having to use your Facebook account to use the headset, though.

If you don't have a Facebook, then you can just create a blank one and use that, then it's the same as having an Oculus account. They have no extra info about your social media stuff that they can sell. If you do have a Facebook, then you should probably get rid of it if you dislike Facebook that much. I can understand just not wanting to support Facebook financially and not buying the Quest because of that, though.

On 9/23/2020 at 9:16 PM, DPCyric said:

I thought it was weird no one was talking about this didn't expect the thread to be in the PC area since it is a standalone device. I'm planning on getting one and I would like to note Costco has a bundle with the elite strap for $430!

Would anyone object if I moved this to the main gaming board?

9 hours ago, Rev said:

Surprised at how shitty the Index looks.

120 to 144hz is what would really set these headsets apart, also the Index controllers are the best out right now.

9 hours ago, TwinIon said:

That's a very impressive comparison. I kinda wish he threw an older headset in there as well. Still, it's obviously a huge upgrade from my Rift CV1.

Here's the Rift S comparison.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

I'm choosing to take the silence as a "no". :p

Can we get a special tag for VR at least :p 

3 hours ago, Rev said:

Nice, apparently VD is already streaming games wirelessly at 90fps. 

The part about Virtual Desktop, only one guy is working on it, all the while Oculus cant even get it to beta.

2 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

I'm probably going to be waiting until the PSVR 2 to get into VR.

Hopefully they introduce room scale games, not just look around ones!

I have mine coming next Tuesday to replace my OG Quest..also have a Vive Pro.  I'll send that one to my brother.

I think VR is gonna kill movie theaters for me completely.  I really enjoy watching horror movies in VR Movie theatres.

Playing Star Wars Squadrons in VR has been nothing short of Amazing.  

As for Facebook...I mean...create a FB Account and just leave it blank.  You're not required to friend anyone or add things you like or follow anything. It is useful as a social hub for VR if you're into that, but you don't have to. You can leave all the personal stuff about completely blank.  

Just use it as a login.  So FB tracks what games you buy or how much time you spend gaming or in VR.....  not exactly something for me to worry about.

1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I'll pay more attention when they actually lose in court. Making an accusation is far different than proving it. If I had to worry about corporations being sneaky...I wouldn't have any apps on my phone or iPAD.

Besides.. the data from my SF86 including my biometric fingerprints already got stolen from OPM....Not much left to steal lol

I think it's very likely that almost all of my valuable data will be stolen and distributed within the next 10 years, so I'll jump at chances to actually benefit from it to some degree. However, I can respect people just refusing to give Facebook money.

2 hours ago, stepee said:

I’m pretty sure with the quest 2 right now they are at best breaking even with its new tech and price point. Just only hook it up to pc and use side quest and free stuff and bam you are sticking it to the man.

I was thinking of doing something similar. Maybe disconnect it from from the internet, but not the network to still use Virtual Desktop.

17 hours ago, Alpha1Cowboy said:

I have mine coming next Tuesday to replace my OG Quest..also have a Vive Pro.  I'll send that one to my brother.

I think VR is gonna kill movie theaters for me completely.  I really enjoy watching horror movies in VR Movie theatres.

Playing Star Wars Squadrons in VR has been nothing short of Amazing.  

As for Facebook...I mean...create a FB Account and just leave it blank.  You're not required to friend anyone or add things you like or follow anything. It is useful as a social hub for VR if you're into that, but you don't have to. You can leave all the personal stuff about completely blank.  

Just use it as a login.  So FB tracks what games you buy or how much time you spend gaming or in VR.....  not exactly something for me to worry about.

I'm pretty sure Facebook will purge completely inactive accounts. 

Facebook doesn't like alts

Facebook is a community where people use their authentic identities. It's against the Facebook Community Standards to maintain more than one personal account.

1*4ZTJDA2gw-ExgjyI0A8r8g.jpeg
MEDIUM.COM

Responsible employee, trend-setting social influencer, fun-loving party goer — we wear many hats in our day-to-day lives and social media…

Facebook Community Standards clearly forbid multiple personal profiles. A personal profile on the social network is for non-commercial use, to be used by a real individual. If someone reports one of your profiles as suspicious or if there are other red flags, Facebook may lock you out of that profile and ask for proof of your identity. If found to be “inauthentic,” administrators can shut it down permanently.

If you make an alt just for your Oculus you could risk getting all your account shut down and being locked from using your games.

48 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Facebook doesn't like alts

1*4ZTJDA2gw-ExgjyI0A8r8g.jpeg
MEDIUM.COM

Responsible employee, trend-setting social influencer, fun-loving party goer — we wear many hats in our day-to-day lives and social media…

If you make an alt just for your Oculus you could risk getting all your account shut down and being locked from using your games.

I didn't interpret him as talking about an alt. If people dislike Facebook, wouldn't the account they make be their only account?

2 hours ago, Rev said:

I didn't interpret him as talking about an alt. If people dislike Facebook, wouldn't the account they make be their only account?

Some people already have an account and they don't want their games and such tied to their social account they don't even want to use anymore.

With Facebook recently moving to require the use of a Facebook account with Oculus headsets we wanted to understand how violations of the company’s Facebook Community Standards would intersect with its headsets. The company says that violations—including accounts that do not use the user’s real name and date of birth—can result in losing access to Oculus headsets.

While the company says that permanent bans would be reserved for the most egregious violations of the Facebook Community Standards, lesser violations could lead to temporary suspensions which restrict the use of Oculus headsets for up to thirty days.

It isn’t clear how Facebook verifies that accounts are using an authentic name and date of birth, but the company says such accounts may be “flagged,” requiring users to remedy the violation before regaining full access to their headset.

Road to VR

On 10/5/2020 at 2:25 AM, Jason said:

I'm pretty sure Facebook will purge completely inactive accounts. 

The account wouldn't be inactive since you're using it to log into VR.    There's no requirement to have lots of stuff on your page or like things or even post.  I do get that some people don't want this...but FB is a company and overall the work they did with the original Occulus Quest was awesome......you buy a Google product like the DayDream VR and they just straight fucked their users.    

Facebook on the other hand continued with solid experience changing updates from Day 1 on the Quest and immediatly followed up with a solid upgrade a year and a half out.  That's a big reason why I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt here on this decision. They have proven to be a company that seems willing to bring VR to broad public use....

btw  I heard some really good buzz about Blair Witch VR.....  

1 hour ago, Alpha1Cowboy said:

The account wouldn't be inactive since you're using it to log into VR.    There's no requirement to have lots of stuff on your page or like things or even post.  I do get that some people don't want this...but FB is a company and overall the work they did with the original Occulus Quest was awesome......you buy a Google product like the DayDream VR and they just straight fucked their users.    

Facebook on the other hand continued with solid experience changing updates from Day 1 on the Quest and immediatly followed up with a solid upgrade a year and a half out.  That's a big reason why I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt here on this decision. They have proven to be a company that seems willing to bring VR to broad public use....

I dislike Facebook quite a bit and I show that displeasure by avoiding all of their services sans Oculus. However, I agree that they've largely been good for VR. Especially given how slow VR has been to evolve and how many other big players we've seen essentially abandon it, I think having a company like Facebook continue to put out excellent hardware and support devs has been really important in keeping VR going.

2 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

Should I get this, Vive, or Index? Or wait I guess for Index 2? Are there any rumors for that? 

I want to get one for Star Wars and Rick and Morty.

I have the Vive Pro and Quest and I fully enjoy each....right now the Vive Pro offers me an overall better visual experience, but the Quest 2 will catch up so to speak in the visuals department.  The only thing that makes me hesitatnt about the Quest 2 is that it does not have full IPD adjustment..it has several options with sort of set ranges....which may or may not work for some people including myself if I fall outside of thos eranges.  I'm getting it from Amazon so if the IPD doesn't work for me I'll just stick with my OG Quest And Vive Pro.  

The next real advancement is putting foveated rendering in the lower priced headsets.  But as for this...I think $299 will give you a solid product and pricepoint for both standalone and connected use.

On 10/5/2020 at 12:26 AM, Rev said:

On 10/5/2020 at 3:26 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

Some people already have an account and they don't want their games and such tied to their social account they don't even want to use anymore.

I have a bunch of international people I wouldn't have a great way of keeping in touch with otherwise. But I don't want to associate anything more with in than I absolutely have to.

8 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

Should I get this, Vive, or Index? Or wait I guess for Index 2? Are there any rumors for that? 

I want to get one for Star Wars and Rick and Morty.

If you want to be free of cords, go with the Quest 2. If you want better visuals and better PCVR support go with HP Reverb