Oculus Quest 2: ~4k, 6GB RAM, 90hz, starts at $299

TwinIon

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

What are the specs on the Reverb? Is it better than the Index?

Specs are great, but it isnt everything. Is the headset better, yes and no. Is the tracking better, yes and no. Are the Index controllers better, yes.

2160x2160, each eye 90hz.

I looked it up myself. The HP Reverb G2; RGB sub-pixel screen, so no BS pentile screen with screen door. FOV is 114, for reference: the Index is 130, Vive is 110, Quest is 90 (which is why I will never buy or recommend a Quest, btw - that FOV kills it for me, as I cannot imagine having an immersive VR experience at that FOV). Tracking is via built-in front and side cameras so no need for base stations.
If it were wireless I’d consider getting it.

What other specs do you need :P

Hp Reverb G2 has a higher resolution 2160x2160 vs 1440x1600, lower hz 90 vs 120.

No lightboxes required for G2 for tracking, though the light houses do track a bit better.

G2 is a collaboration with HP, Microsoft and Valve so the design/build quality is similar to the Index.

With MS collaboration, this will probably be the official headset for Flight Simulator.

And the Index wins the controller department by quite a bit with the finger tracking on the controller.

2 minutes ago, Stickey said:

And the Index wins the controller department by quite a bit with the finger tracking on the controller.

The Index controllers should work with any headset, no (at least in SteamVR)? I already have an OG Vive, so I’d just keep my base stations for the Index Controllers if need be. Plus, some games seem to have issues with the Index controllers, so it’d be good to have the alts the Reverb comes with... just needs a wireless adapter and I’m all in :p 

12 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m not sure how being concerned about FOV on a friggen headset could make you a snob. That’s like calling someone a snob for wanting high refresh rate or screen resolution on a VR headset :lol: 

Honestly its never been an issue for me. I haven't tried any high end headsets so maybe I dont even know what im missing, but i don't think that's keeping people from a great VR experience. Adding a higher resolution and framerate makes a big difference in VR, more so then a regular monitor, due to the screen door effect and motion sickness. So these are typically the most highlighted areas. I'll try to be a bit more techie next time I post specs.

14 minutes ago, Stickey said:

Honestly its never been an issue for me. I haven't tried any high end headsets so maybe I dont even know what im missing, but i don't think that's keeping people from a great VR experience. Adding a higher resolution and framerate makes a big difference in VR, more so then a regular monitor, due to the screen door effect and motion sickness. So these are typically the most highlighted areas. I'll try to be a bit more techie next time I post specs.

The screen door effect is more-so from pentile screens that don’t have full RGB sub-pixels. Going higher res with a pentile screen still has screen door, it’s just “thinner” due to more pixels. The correct solution to screen door is not to use cheap screens, which is finally starting to happen. Pentile screens have less sub-pixels per pixel, meaning there’s literal blank spaces within each pixel, causing said “screen door” effect, whereas RGB is typically uniform without those added spaces occurring from less sub-pixels. Normally, pentile is fine and a good way to save money with little downside... but that’s because it’s not meant for screens that are a few inches from your eyes. Using pentile screens for VR headsets was always a ridiculously stupid decision.

In regards to FOV, if you don’t know what you’re missing then you’re speaking purely of bliss ignorance. It makes a huge difference in immersion as it stops the feeling of looking through a “box” as your peripheral vision is filled, just like in real life. The same argument can be made that a lower resolution isn’t “keeping people from a great VR experience” either. Acting like an increased FOV, or in my case, diminishing my current FOV, doesn’t affect VR is just incorrect. FOV is just as important as resolution.

12 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The screen door effect is more-so from pentile screens that don’t have full RGB sub-pixels. Going higher res with a pentile screen still has screen door, it’s just “thinner” due to more pixels. The correct solution to screen door is not to use cheap screens, which is finally starting to happen. Pentile screens have less sub-pixels per pixel, meaning there’s literal blank spaces within each pixel, causing said “screen door” effect, whereas RGB is typically uniform without those added spaces occurring from less sub-pixels. Normally, pentile is fine and a good way to save money with little downside... but that’s because it’s not meant for screens that are a few inches from your eyes. Using pentile screens for VR headsets was always a ridiculously stupid decision.

In regards to FOV, if you don’t know what you’re missing then you’re speaking purely of bliss ignorance. It makes a huge difference in immersion as it stops the feeling of looking through a “box” as your peripheral vision is filled, just like in real life. The same argument can be made that a lower resolution isn’t “keeping people from a great VR experience” either. Acting like an increased FOV, or in my case, diminishing my current FOV, doesn’t affect VR is just incorrect. FOV is just as important as resolution.

BTW, to clarify, I’m by no means “trashing” the Quest/Quest 2 for the 90 degree FOV. If you don’t own a VR headset (or have a garbage one :p ), it’s a great value and a great piece of hardware; it’s generally very impressive. For me, however, I own an OG Vive, and while I’d be gaining wireless-ness and higher res, I’d lose 20 degrees of FOV, which is a huge negative to overlook when I already notice the “end of screenage” with my Vive - the 110 is fine, but, I can’t really imagine going more narrow. If the Quest 2 was even 105+ I’d probably be all over it (well, pending if it’s PC-Link stuff wasn’t janky anymore :p), and then @HardActcan finally get my Vive :sun:

14 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I still don’t know if I’m ready to go all-in on VR. I ordered a Quest 2 last night as a way of kinda dipping my toe into the pool. If I really like it, at some point I’ll invest in a top of the line set. 

If you ordered a Quest 2, you're going all in buddy!

The Index controllers should work with any headset, no (at least in SteamVR)? I already have an OG Vive, so I’d just keep my base stations for the Index Controllers if need be. Plus, some games seem to have issues with the Index controllers, so it’d be good to have the alts the Reverb comes with... just needs a wireless adapter and I’m all in :p 

Wait so I can buy the index controllers eventually?

BTW, to clarify, I’m by no means “trashing” the Quest/Quest 2 for the 90 degree FOV. If you don’t own a VR headset (or have a garbage one :p ), it’s a great value and a great piece of hardware; it’s generally very impressive. For me, however, I own an OG Vive, and while I’d be gaining wireless-ness and higher res, I’d lose 20 degrees of FOV, which is a huge negative to overlook when I already notice the “end of screenage” with my Vive - the 110 is fine, but, I can’t really imagine going more narrow. If the Quest 2 was even 105+ I’d probably be all over it (well, pending if it’s PC-Link stuff wasn’t janky anymore :p), and then @HardActcan finally get my Vive :sun:

:daydream:

I received updated shipping information Amazon says mine is shipping on Tuesday! I am upgrading from PSVR  so the FoV size isn't a problem and I never bothered to set up the Move controllers. I will be buying Rez (this is getting up there as one of my most purchased games), Until You Fall, Moss, Tetris Effect, Superhot, Echo VR and Virtual Desktop! I should be able to get some time with it next weekend (assuming Amazon isn't lying to me) and if my PC can handle it I'm going to throw some odd stuff at it (I might have a PC code for Bloodstained that I would like to try in VR!).

1 hour ago, DPCyric said:

I received updated shipping information Amazon says mine is shipping on Tuesday! I am upgrading from PSVR  so the FoV size isn't a problem and I never bothered to set up the Move controllers. I will be buying Rez (this is getting up there as one of my most purchased games), Until You Fall, Moss, Tetris Effect, Superhot, Echo VR and Virtual Desktop! I should be able to get some time with it next weekend (assuming Amazon isn't lying to me) and if my PC can handle it I'm going to throw some odd stuff at it (I might have a PC code for Bloodstained that I would like to try in VR!).

For reference, the FOV on PSVR is claimed at 100, but tests from users and sites seem to put at between 100-105. So, yes, you are losing FOV, but are getting a much better VR system and experience otherwise  - as, the case with PSVR vs Quest 2, the benefits/improvements greatly outweigh the decreased FOV, as the PSVR’s tracking is so, SO, bad (I have one alongside my Vive), and it’s using a single 1080p screen across both eyes (instead of dual screens; one for each eye), and neither the PS4 or PS4 Pro are truly capable of outputting the graphics you’d want for VR.

9 hours ago, DPCyric said:

Dont hesitate on Blade and Sorcery. I've been having WAY to much fun with that game.

On 10/7/2020 at 2:55 AM, Zaku3 said:

Preordered the Reverb 2. Hype time boys.

Hearing good things about that one too.   You know...the FOV thing.....I wonder if it's because I do Paintball and Scuba that it doesn't bother me that much.  When I switch between my VIVE PRO and Quest it never really bothers me....

18 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

For reference, the FOV on PSVR is claimed at 100, but tests from users and sites seem to put at between 100-105. So, yes, you are losing FOV, but are getting a much better VR system and experience otherwise  - as, the case with PSVR vs Quest 2, the benefits/improvements greatly outweigh the decreased FOV, as the PSVR’s tracking is so, SO, bad (I have one alongside my Vive), and it’s using a single 1080p screen across both eyes (instead of dual screens; one for each eye), and neither the PS4 or PS4 Pro are truly capable of outputting the graphics you’d want for VR.

Fortunately it's been long enough since I've used PSVR (just too many cables) that I doubt I will notice!

10 hours ago, Stickey said:

Dont hesitate on Blade and Sorcery. I've been having WAY to much fun with that game.

Needs more neon :thinking:

12 hours ago, Iculus said:

pre-ordered on Tuesday through Amazon. Expected delivery is the 15th. I'm a little surprised that it's that close to release. I wonder if they will let me pull mine off of the belt, and take it home if I see it. lol

I'd go with Best Buy instead. They're still listing it as release day at most stores (some actually say sold out now).

There is a kart racer out now:

Character designs seem really generic but very clean and well done for customizable characters. The developers have been very active on Reddit looking for feedback and have committed to a 90 Hertz update for Quest 2 (they were surprised that almost everyone wanted that over better graphics)! I am commiting to PC upgrades and Quest 2 this year the next gen systems can wait (until Halo comes out at least).I just have so much on PC from bundles, Epic and Twitch Prime that I can enjoy with a small upgrade new systems just don't seem worth it yet.