The official RTX 3000 series launch event thread & subsequent quest to strive in vain to find one!

Mr.Vic20

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Alright, this is killing me and I’m weak. What do you guys think I could get for my 2080 Ti? 
Do you think the 10gb VRAM of the 3080 could hurt it compared to the 12gb in the 2080 Ti?

I’ve always gotten a good return by preordering/ordering the second it goes on sale and then selling my card on ebay instantly. You’re out your card for a bit while the new card arrives but I think some people don’t pay attention right away or say fuck it if they are sold out and pay more than they should around then.

9 hours ago, stepee said:

I’ve always gotten a good return by preordering/ordering the second it goes on sale and then selling my card on ebay instantly. You’re out your card for a bit while the new card arrives but I think some people don’t pay attention right away or say fuck it if they are sold out and pay more than they should around then.

Yea, desperate/stupid people are my hope for selling my 2080 Ti :p 

I really keep going back and forth as 10gb on the 3080 keeps giving me pause. I think I’ve been traumatized from my old 980 having 4gb of VRAM and it choking in later games because of that :p 

8 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Its a truly beastly showing for Nvidia, an provided they can actually stock the damn things, they have left very little on the table for AMD and intel to provide a compelling alternative. Let's hope this isn't a paper launch! 

It also makes the ridiculous prices being rumoured for a 10 TFLOP console less credible.

5 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

True.  However, if those $500+ prices are correct, the price/performance for console compared to buying a new gaming PC has never been worse.

I get the feeling that this generation might be a good one for PC as Sony brings more titles to the platform and the cost of entry declines more and more. A smart shopper (read: not me! :p) could really clean up this generation. By this time next year, the entry level GPUs and CPUs available on the market will easily outpace both new consoles as ridiculously low prices. Nvidia has now put a ceiling on AMDs GPU cost line that will likely see a 200.00 card that is better than the GPU in the Xbox Series X! That is crazy! Add in basically ANY zen 2 cpu a cheap ass stick of RAM and mobo and you'll be set. I know there are other parts, but again, cheap ones! 

5 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I get the feeling that this generation might be a good one for PC as Sony brings more titles to the platform and the cost of entry declines more and more. A smart shopper (read: not me! :p) could really clean up this generation. By this time next year, the entry level GPUs and CPUs available on the market will easily outpace both new consoles as ridiculously low prices. Nvidia has now put a ceiling on AMDs GPU cost line that will likely see a 200.00 card that is better than the GPU in the Xbox Series X! That is crazy! Add in basically ANY zen 2 cpu a cheap ass stick of RAM and mobo and you'll be set. I know there are other parts, but again, cheap ones! 

I've been a "launch" console purchaser for several generations (I've purchased every Sony console on day 1 or before), and I'm not even considering getting one this time -- which blows my mind.

6 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Consoles are attractive for more reasons than just price/performance. 

True, but its a big part of the attraction.

30 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

With one child's birthday just around the corner, another child looking at colleges, and my wife out of work at present, I certainly have less than I usually do! But I still have nothing to complain about! I am a thankful man, living a thankful life! 

Isn’t your happiness of a new GPU a gift for your entire family, though?

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Consoles are attractive for more reasons than just price/performance. 

No doubt that's true, with their existing ecosystem of games.trophies/achievements, and friend groups. That said, I think the point is that cheaper PCs and Sony exclusives can only mean more PC gamers. 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

No doubt that's true, with their existing ecosystem of games.trophies/achievements, and friend groups. That said, I think the point is that cheaper PCs and Sony exclusives can only mean more PC gamers. 

I doubt PS5 Sony exclusives will be hitting PC until near the end of the console cycle  

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Nah, even for enthusiasts. There’s a lot of users on this board that prefer consoles for their simplicity compared to PC gaming. No one that posts on a video game forum isn’t an enthusiast, IMO.

step brothers yep GIF

Just now, Spork3245 said:

Nah, even for enthusiasts. There’s a lot of users on this board that prefer consoles for their simplicity compared to PC gaming. No one that posts on a video game forum isn’t an enthusiast, IMO.

You're right, its hard to generalize.

This board has a lot of "old farts", very few users (if any) in their teens or early twenties.  A lot of us are stuck in our ways.

The PS3 launch showed us just how sensitive gamers can be to prices.

I wish consoles were half as "simple" as people make them out to be. They're often huge hassles in their own ways. Just initial downloads and large updates are currently miserable on every single console. Know what's simple? An update that takes like half a minute and then me playing the game. God save my soul when the Switch downloads a fucking patch bigger than 5MB.

Heads up, Microsoft’s DirectStorage API, which RTX i/o relies on, is not going to be made available to developers until 2021.

Direct Storage will also requires an nVME drive, so SATA SSD owners will need to upgrade to receive these benefits.  (SATA SSDs are significantly slower already)

Some have also noted nVidia slides use 14 GB/s as their peak number, whereas the PS5 lists 22 GB/s as the theoretical peak.  I wouldn't read too much into this comparison, but if the PS5 actually ends up being faster in the early years, it'll likely be due to Kraken.