"New World" (MMO from Amazon Games) - No Longer Frying Your GPU, update: Or Maybe It Still Is!

JPDunks4

So I searched but found nothing at all about New World on these forums.  Maybe I'm missing it.

I hadn't been following this game at all until recently, and happened to get invited to the Stress Test last month.

I absolutely loved it.  It's an MMO, but can seemingly mostly be played mostly solo.  There are quite a few PvP elements, but you don't need to partake in them if its not your thing, and you can Flag PvP on or off.  If it's off, you can't be hurt by other players.  

I'll just share the videos they've shared on their Youtube so far.

Combat 

The combat plays like an Action RPG, with some very Dark Souls Lite type gamelay.  Stamina Bar for blocking and dodging, ect.  You need to Aim your ranged weapons and Magic Staffs.  Not just point and click on enemies.  It's made combat way more fun.  Each weapon type has different Skills to choose from and skill trees to tweak.  With each weapon you equip, you have 3 different skills with cool downs.  When you hit Lvl 35 you can carry 3 weapons at a time, and switch on the fly to effectively have 9 different abilities at any give time.  Current weapons in the preview are Sword + Shield, Hatchet, War Hammer, Bow and Arrow, Musket, Fire Staff, and Life Staff (Healing).   I think the skill trees could be fleshed a little more, but if the full game has 3x more weapon variety which I've heard it does have, that may not be as much an issue.

Wars and Invasions 

Wars are a PvP instance that is scheduled ahead of time.  In this game there are 3 Factions, you choose your faction after the Tutorial Quests. Within the Factions are Companies, which act as 50 person Guilds.   Throughout the Map, there are Territories with a Settlement and Fort.  Companies can claim the Settlements, and then they decide the Trading Taxes, Property Taxes, ect.  They actually collect Gold from the taxes from those trading and crafting in their Settlement.  These settlements also can be upgraded by doing Town Board Quests.  This allows you to upgrade the crafting stations, or defenses for the Fort, among other things.

If you do PvP Quests in that Territory, you gain Influence for your Faction, and if you can fill a bar of influence you can declare war to try and take over the Settlement from another Faction.

There is also a PvE instance like this, where Oblivion like gates start spawning all over the map that you can close.  Certain Territories will flag as being Invaded, and a 30 minute Horde Mode happens where you and 50 other human players defend vs waves of "Corrupted" trying to destroy your settlement.  I don't know what happens if you lose the Invasion, but I'd assume it'll knock back upgrades that have been completed, and make the Town Neutral again to be claimed by anyone.  I haven't had a chance to try this yet as you need to be Lvl 50 to participate. 

I played in my first War yesterday, and it was actually a ton of fun, and was actually executed really well.  50 v 50 PvP of a Caste Siege.  There is a 30 minute timer for the Attackers to complete 3 different Phases.  It starts outside the gates as a Domination type game type, where attackers need to Capture A, B, and C points.  Phase 2 of the attack is breaking through the Castle Gates.  Then Phase 3 is capturing one central point inside the walls. 

Progession Systems

The game also has really great progression systems.  It all feels really well thought out and it all works so well together.  The UX and UI are also, in my opinion, all really really polished.  It feels so much better than just about any other MMO Lite or Looter Shooter I've played in the recent past, like Destiny/Anthem/Division, ect.

This game was supposed to release in May, then was delayed to August, and is now delayed til Spring 2021, but it plays extremely polished right now.  When it was first being built, it was meant to be a very heavy PvP MMO, but as they've worked through Alpha, they keep adding more and more PvE content, and I think this delay was to work even more on PvE End Game content like Raids, which it currently doesn't have.  

You can try it out by Pre-Ordering it on Steam for $40.  I have been absolutely addicted to this game so far, and so have all my other friends that have been playing.  I'd really recommend people try it out and see what you think.  I never got into the WoW craze back in the day, but I can imagine the way I'm hooked to this is how people were hooked to WoW.

There are some things they need to tweak and fix for sure, but what they have already is amazing.  

• 10 months later...
12 hours ago, Nokt said:

Necro

Beta starts in 3 days. Game is out Sept 1. Is anyone else picking this up?

I definitely am.  Really enjoyed the Preview last year, and they've added a lot since.   End Game was really where it was lacking but they delayed it to fix that, and seem committed to add to over time.

What made me really enjoy it, is the combat is quite a bit more skill based than a traditional point and click MMO.  Having a Dark Souls type combat, the gameplay is far more engaging and keeps it fun.  As well as all the polish on a lot of the systems the game has, it just feels good to play.

I prob won't put a ton of time into this Beta as it comes out in a month, so don't want to burn myself out over the few weeks just to start over.

Biggest "weakness" of the game, is you only have 3 skills equipped I believe per weapon.  You can swap weapons on the fly, giving you 6 skills to use.  I didn't really mind it during the Preview, but for those that play other MMO's, it might feel a bit light.

• JPDunks4 changed the title to "New World" from Amazon Games - July 20th to Aug 2nd - Aug 31st Release Date
new-world-fishing-2.jpg
WWW.WINDOWSCENTRAL.COM

Amazon's New World is in closed beta, but while many players are having a good time, RTX 3090 owners are suffering.

Reports on the New World subreddit indicate that trying to launch New World while using an RTX 3090 will sometimes cause it to completely fry, forcing those impacted to contact manufacturers for refunds or replacements. The issue seems to be affecting EVGA RTX 3090 cards more than other GPUs, though it's worth noting that people who use other versions of the 3090 have reported problems with overheating and dangerous power spikes.

• Shocked 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to "New World" from Amazon Games, update: the beta appears to be frying RTX 3090 GPUs
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to "New World" from Amazon Games, update: the beta appears to be frying RTX 3090 and 6900XT GPUs

I wonder what brands of 3090 its targeting. I have 2 friends with 3090's that have been playing with me.

Either way, I've been having a lot of fun with this game. Kind of sucks that once you get so far into it, its just "keep doing faction quests until level X", so I pretty much stopped there and will wait for the release.

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Can't wait for it to be 2,200 people in like 3 months because the game has no content at all and plays like an early access survival game.

7 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Who knew such desperation existed for an MMO that is so very average. 

Have either of you tried the previous Previews? 

4 minutes ago, Bacon said:

If you don't count the 2010 version, FFXIV came out in the past 10 years

Good counterpoint.

Counter-counterpoint:

No Man's Sky

Destiny

Destiny 2

Sea of Thieves

Pokemon Go

The Division

Anthem

Fallout 76

The Old Republic

A lot of these kinds of games *eventually* become fun. Like 2 or 3 years after launch. When they come out, they're nearly always content-deplete and there isn't really anything to do other than grind for the sake of grinding. Gameplay loops that never go anywhere.

And yet people are still sHoCkEd every time it happens. Like just assume the game is going to suck when it comes out, don't fucking buy it, then maybe eventually publishers will learn to wait to release the games until they're actually, y'know... a fucking actual game, not just an alpha concept.

• True 1

Yeah, I can't believe this has hype. It looks like shit. Not graphical fidelity, but like the character creation is worse than WoW. It is somewhat based in reality so armor design is bland af. Combat has as much depth as BOTW. Shit looks weak. And hasn't Ark Survival been out for like 80 years?

16 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Counter-counterpoint:

Hey, you said every, not nearly/basically every. :p 

But I mean, I agree with you 100%. I actually thought TOR and Destiny weren't bad tho. I mean, as MMOs sure, but TOR was always a good single player game lol. 

This popped up on FB the other day. 7 fuckin years. Destiny had some fun times and I loved the MP. 

W2EPxxk.jpg

Just about every person I know that has played this, has been hooked.  Everyone has loved it.  I find the combat to be pretty comparable to a Dark Souls game. 

There's a reason its as popular as it is, after multiple previews over the past 2 years, more and more people keep trying it, and falling in love with it.

I'd say give it a shot and see for yourself.  I've been sold since I first tried it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

Have either of you tried the previous Previews? 

Yes, and I found it quite unimpressive. Combat similar to Dark Souls? Maybe on the most absolutely basic, superficial level of you swing your weapon to attack and dodge enemy attacks. The combat is to Dark Souls as Kraft singles are to cheese.