"New World" (MMO from Amazon Games) - No Longer Frying Your GPU, update: Or Maybe It Still Is!

JPDunks4

I found the combat to be pretty basic when I first tried out the beta. I was maining the fire staff and it was basically all I used and relied on friends to help take pressure off my character.

Then I watched Shroud play and learned there was, at least a little, more depth to the combat. He was stringing together different cooldowns on different weapons and it was smooth. Not that any of the enemies I’ve found so far to be hard, but it does make the game more enjoyable.

I dislike FFXIV because everything is over complicated. From the subscription service to not being able to complete a quest over your current level because? 
This seems to scratch my mmo itch, it doesn't continually cost me money, and I’m enjoying it with friends. 

PC Gamer is using this game as an article generator.

h3AyUdWAdky5cnha3oVsGa-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

I don't care for realism, I want height!

R3XvDDMaAHnmJsBdRL7dT5-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

And goats and turkeys and deer and boars and sheep...

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to "New World" (MMO from Amazon Games) - No Longer Frying Your GPU
33 minutes ago, Bacon said:

As someone who watches Asmongold from time to time, I wonder if this is towards him or the game. Cuz either ain't wrong.

I don't know anything about him outside of this, but definitely both. For the game, what a lousy boring fight. For him for explaining this unbelievably obvious "strategy" as if it were clever, and and describing the enemy as ineffective against his "high-level precision, ability and reflexes," after which he then proceeds to get hit while trying to kill the enemy and then tries to cover by saying he meant to get hit to show you it's "okay" (then wtf was the "strategy" for anyway?)

10 minutes ago, legend said:

For him for explaining this unbelievably obvious "strategy" as if it were clever, and and describing the enemy as ineffective against his "high-level precision, ability and reflexes," after which he then proceeds to get hit while trying to kill the enemy and then tries to cover by saying he meant to get hit to show you it's "okay" (then wtf was the "strategy" for anyway?)

That was all a joke. It is nearly a running gag for him to hype up his skill and then suck it up right after. 

2 hours ago, legend said:

I don't know anything about him outside of this, but definitely both. For the game, what a lousy boring fight. For him for explaining this unbelievably obvious "strategy" as if it were clever, and and describing the enemy as ineffective against his "high-level precision, ability and reflexes," after which he then proceeds to get hit while trying to kill the enemy and then tries to cover by saying he meant to get hit to show you it's "okay" (then wtf was the "strategy" for anyway?)

wait did you think he was being serious?

• Haha 1

My God - I wonder if there's some type of "inside joke" at PC Gamer regarding this game: :lol:

9cCDC3tsATNttsq5QcCjiM-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Here's exactly how long you can stand idle in New World before getting the boot.

m6Wb2GWyAGHkD7Ciq6q2MR-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Racing other players to patches of plants turns resource gathering into a sporting event.

VyNLapsRSd4b4qcm5zkLaP-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

This guide will help you access your unlocked cosmetics for Amazon's big new MMO.

UPXSRVp7npmA2ovVNgUziW-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Found any nice threads?

tUaAZzCajkm2SmWR8dWR9o-1200-80.jpeg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

There are New World servers with no queues in each region, but many players are facing long lines for their chosen worlds.

I said it's similar to Dark Souls in the sense it was based on a Stamina bar, you actually have to aim, dodge, and position during fights.  Is it as in depth and intricate as Dark Souls, of course not, it's an MMO.  But its a far better combat system then other MMO's I tried where its basically just clicking buttons and everything is done automatically for you, with dice rolls and auto targeting.

Also, PvP is a very big core part of this game.  You can entirely ignore it, but some of my experiences in this game in PvP have been some of the most fun I've had in gaming in a long time.  

*I haven't played many MMO's.  Never interested me until this.

• Shocked 1

6 hours ago, legend said:

The joke was him casually pushing the dodge button every few seconds makes the enemy completely helpless. But he talks as though he's doing some high level master strategy, when it's the most basic defensive maneuver any enemy in the game should be able to deal with to some extent.

In short you can be braindead and still barely ever even get hit by anything in the game unless you're being absolutely swarmed, which uhh, doesn't happen often. You can put on a bunch of heavy armor, but at least for PvE that's a terrible idea since it kills your roll. The reason is simple: The game wasn't designed around PvE. It was designed around hardcore, full-loot PvP, which got absolutely gutted after Amazon found out that players who are expected to make their own fun do so at the expense of others in a hardcore, full-loop PvP game, and that it made many not want to play.

So in like a year or so they had to add a bunch of PvE content and basic AI for that and everything that entails while trying not to completely lose the PvP focus.

The best part of the game so far has been the user review talking about how funny it is that a game made by Amazon has taxes in it.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to "New World" (MMO from Amazon Games) - No Longer Frying Your GPU, update: Or Still Frying Your GPU
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to "New World" (MMO from Amazon Games) - No Longer Frying Your GPU, update: Or Maybe It Still Is!

Let's see what PC Gamer has to say today!

reUeMmLmbXKUm9TBJF6LSf-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

A list of all the gem bonuses you can use in Aeternum.

PfXXXkxAfusPJJdUogsLvE-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Buff your mining luck to nab this rare resource.

• Haha 1

Thanks @Keyser_Soze - l wonder what else PC Gamer has to say about this game today?!?!

zxpTrKnJ4LJ2XNpQYFr8zH-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Amazon Games head Rich Lawrence talks queues, demand, and why it's not just about turning more servers on.

KjXcKvZSfbWUtmUDGyzSf9-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

As a survival fan I'm finding myself drawn into the new MMO—but not for the quests or combat.

hBKFWMCnhwMjqAfGVJ96tR-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

800,000 people are logged into New World as the weekend begins. But the path to popularity has been crushing.

gHdaDyS9FSM5Tx9SAMbwfA-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Amazon finally has a hit game, and the executive chairman is very happy about it.

Watched Shroud play some PvP (attacking a town I think) it looks absolutely bonkers and fun. I need to get my level up so I can participate.

On 9/29/2021 at 11:43 PM, Xbob42 said:

The joke was him casually pushing the dodge button every few seconds makes the enemy completely helpless. But he talks as though he's doing some high level master strategy, when it's the most basic defensive maneuver any enemy in the game should be able to deal with to some extent.

In short you can be braindead and still barely ever even get hit by anything in the game unless you're being absolutely swarmed, which uhh, doesn't happen often. You can put on a bunch of heavy armor, but at least for PvE that's a terrible idea since it kills your roll. The reason is simple: The game wasn't designed around PvE. It was designed around hardcore, full-loot PvP, which got absolutely gutted after Amazon found out that players who are expected to make their own fun do so at the expense of others in a hardcore, full-loop PvP game, and that it made many not want to play.

I don't really want to poke the bear here, but most enemies don't attack like the clip you posted. Skeletons have a rushing multiple swing attack, legless skeletons have a launching attack that can be hard to read, pistoleers are down right impossible to dodge or I just don't understand the timing, wolves have two attacks in quick succession. Certain special enemies have throwing axes or spears. Ghosts are extremely fast and can't waste your dodges fast making you wait for the full recovery to dodge again. There is at least some variety to enemies and their attacks. Is it hard? No, not really, but what MMO is hard for a basic mob.

More importantly why would you want every mob to be difficult in an MMO? I don't want to struggle against every basic mob to complete a random quest. That sounds horrible. Leave it for dungeons, raids, end-game content.

17 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

And on the fourth day, PC Gamer rested.

Back to work, PC Gamer!  These New World articles ain't gonna write themselves!

uWsKUF6TF9GdDKg3khqDiQ-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

A new AFK detection system is being rolled out to help reduce the strain on overloaded servers.

FAidyEvYZSfAB9UA9BtqZ9-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

It even briefly unseated Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.

35 minutes ago, Biggie said:

913,000 people seem to think so

WoW is boring as crap, but it has more players. Conversely, GW2's gameplay loops is much more fun, but is less popular. I don't play for the endgame and the min/maxing, so for me I'd prefer a really fun game for 50 hours than a boring, monotonous one that I'll play for 1,000 hours just to grind.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

WoW is boring as crap, but it has more players. Conversely, GW2's gameplay loops is much more fun, but is less popular. I don't play for the endgame and the min/maxing, so for me I'd prefer a really fun game for 50 hours than a boring, monotonous one that I'll play for 1,000 hours just to grind.

MMO = 1,000 of hours grinding

PC Gamer is still at it, but the pace is slowing!

VyNLapsRSd4b4qcm5zkLaP-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

All the details on combat, magic, factions, forts, and companies in Amazon's new MMO.

zpBPoymugoPj3Q8FvHYfdC-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Amazon's new MMO now has bots, and they like rare fish.

uMr5dkigAJDCnGMsxAA3Ne-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Here's what you need to know about PvP in Aeternum.

3szcFbSaqB3hSW64Jb5cjT-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

But one day it will be a palace. Maybe.

h3AyUdWAdky5cnha3oVsGa-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

New World's big, open-world battles are a powder keg of fun.

Give us this day our daily PC Gamer New World articles:

9cCDC3tsATNttsq5QcCjiM-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Here's exactly how long you can stand idle in New World before getting the boot.

87sLEBp6QbrwTB29XWtqBh-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

All the weapons you can wield in Aeternum.

nEH9zkh4AsZkAsr9ghyW3-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

The company breaks cover on the MMO that some users claim is still breaking their expensive GPUs.