"New World" (MMO from Amazon Games) - No Longer Frying Your GPU, update: Or Maybe It Still Is!

JPDunks4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This weekend, reports started filtering in from players who had discovered how to insert and process their own HTML code inside New World's chat box (thanks, apparently, to some improper input scrubbing). This resulted in some amusing visual trolling, as players could use specific HTML to spam giant pictures of in-game sausages or even display large yellow boxes above their characters to block the other players' in-game view. Other trolling was more severe, like gold duplication exploits and HTML code that could crash the game if a player hovers over a certain bit of text.

nwsausage-760x380.jpeg
ARSTECHNICA.COM

Players spamming the game with giant sausages was the tip of the iceberg.

God, who would be dumb enough to allow arbitrary HTML execution...

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2021 at 7:18 AM, brucoe said:

I just started playing it this weekend, and I'm enjoying it. So far, haven't seen too many problems, other than one time when I killed a puma and it immediately disappeared.

newworld-760x380.jpg
ARSTECHNICA.COM

Second shutdown this month has players despairing for the state of the young MMO.

Now that I've been playing it for some time (I'm level 26 right now), there are so many things they need to fix with this game that I suspect they're never going to touch. One of my biggest complaints is part of the combat system itself. Every time you fight something, they knock you back. EVERY creature no matter what level automatically knocks you back when fighting so that you could be fighting a level 2 boar and it will knock you off the side of a cliff but you don't have that ability whatsoever with any mob you fight. Add to that the fact that mobs double and triple team you and by the time you finish off one of the three, another one has spawned adding to even more mobs hitting you. I literally couldn't finish a main quest that was 5 levels below me because the boss I had to kill had three spawns around him that would keep spawning as you were trying to kill the main guy, almost always leading to failure. Plus, at least one of them is an archer which means he's not anywhere near you to even fight him (and you can't get to him because the mobs are knocking you back and forth while fighting you).

It's pretty sad because the game has so much potential, but whenever people bring up these problems on the forums, the devs respond that the game is working as intended. There's a reason so many people are quitting in droves, and this is coming from someone who wants to like this game.