Gotham Knights (WB Montreal, 21 October 2022) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

skillzdadirecta

Well if you watch a lot of the reviews, they do mention that there is stuff to like about the game. I forget which review it was, but it said if you're a fan of comics and this type of genre, you will have enough here to like and play. 

I say for those of you on the fence, grab it. I can't afford it but if I could I'd buy it myself. I initially was put off by IGN and GameSpot  review scores but more digging showed me this game is not bad at all. 

46 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Well if you watch a lot of the reviews, they do mention that there is stuff to like about the game. I forget which review it was, but it said if you're a fan of comics and this type of genre, you will have enough here to like and play. 

I say for those of you on the fence, grab it. I can't afford it but if I could I'd buy it myself. I initially was put off by IGN and GameSpot  review scores but more digging showed me this game is not bad at all. 

Yeah, I’ve watched some more video reviews and they’ve been more positive than negative for the most part. No one is claiming it to be a GOTY contender, just a solid open world super hero action game for fans of the genre. It seems to pretty much be the game that I was expecting it to be, and I would be buying it tomorrow if I could.

43 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

Yeah, I’ve watched some more video reviews and they’ve been more positive than negative for the most part. No one is claiming it to be a GOTY contender, just a solid open world super hero action game for fans of the genre. It seems to pretty much be the game that I was expecting it to be, and I would be buying it tomorrow if I could.

I just watched another review and it explains basically what you just said. They recommended a buy.

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

Eh... ive seen enough gameplay to know it doesn't look that good. That is confirmed by peoples opinions. This game has never looked very good.

• True 1

33 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:
4 hours ago, best3444 said:

Eh... ive seen enough gameplay to know it doesn't look that good. That is confirmed by peoples opinions. This game has never looked very good.

I have NEVER understood the notion that you can tell how good a game plays by watching someone else play it. To me that's like determining whether food tastes good by watching someone else eat. Gameplay, particularly a beat em up like this lives and dies on how it feels and I'll reserve judgement until I have a controller in my hand.

24 minutes ago, stepee said:

tbf literally nothing is ever “confirmed” by peoples opinions

Also... this.

Game Information

Game Title: Gotham Knights

Platforms:

• PC (Oct 21, 2022)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Oct 21, 2022)
  • PlayStation 5 (Oct 21, 2022)

Developer: Warner Bros. Games Montréal

Publisher: Warner Bros. Games

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 71 average - 45% recommended

Critic Reviews

Gamers Heroes - 95 / 100

Gotham Knights is up there with Elden Ring as a Game of the Year contender. Its fast, responsive, and action-packed combat is surpassed only by a narrative that had me glued from the very first cutscene. A must-play for fans of open-world titles, and an easy pickup for anyone invested with the Gotham Knights or DC Universe.

GameSpew - 9 / 10

Perhaps you could argue that the streets of Gotham feel a little empty at times, or that when facing off against a large number of enemies, the combat gets a little messy, but it’s hard to truly find fault with Gotham Knights.

Twinfinite - 4.5 / 5

Gotham Knights is a game that draws its line in the sand very early on and rarely wavers. It is a game that emphasizes the importance of support and empathy while sprinkling in every element we’ve come to expect and adore from these titles along the way.

ZTGD - 9 / 10

Gotham Knights did an outstanding job at making me really feel like I was a vigilante protecting the city, as I said the immersion level is Gotham Knights greatest achievement. I am excited to see where the team takes the Knights next honestly, and with all the talk of the ‘Multiverse’ lately there is no reason why this series can’t exist side-by-side a traditional Batman game. All four of the characters show growth and come to terms with not only Bruce’s death but the legacy that they have inherited by his passing and while yes, it’s a shame there is no performance mode Gotham Knights is a fantastic experience that should be experienced by fans and non-fans alike.

COGconnected - 86 / 100

Gotham Knights is bold and brave. It removes the leading character of the universe in order to focus on those who are often pushed aside. The treatment of the new team is fantastic and as a result, WB Montreal has found new figureheads.

Marooners' Rock - 8.6 / 10

Despite Batman’s absence, the story provides a glimpse into how Gotham might rise or fall without him, and the storytellers did a fantastic job bringing it to life.

DualShockers - 8.5 / 10

There’s no clearer sign that WB Montreal nailed it than this: even after I was done reviewing Gotham Knights, I’ve kept playing it. I’m resisting the urge to play it now to get this review done. That’s the best kind of feeling, and I hope it’s only the start of something even greater to come.

GameGrin - 8.5 / 10

While separate from the Batman Arkham games timeline, Gotham Knights proves there is room on the block for a second AAA Batman franchise in the gaming world. The only question is, who will you choose to play as?

GamingTrend - 85 / 100

Gotham Knights is filled to the brim with character and nods to the Bat-Family. While the locked-in 30 FPS might be a dealbreaker for some, the flawless co-op experience Gotham Knights provides is an amazing time for those who want to fight crime with friends. A fully immersive Gotham City for you to travel in your way, either straight through the story, or complete every side mission you can; your time in Gotham is up to you.

XboxEra - 8.4 / 10

“In the end, either solo and especially in co-op, it’s an easy recommendation for me. All four heroes play fantastically and are quite different from one another. It also looks great on a Series X. I hope that Gotham Knights becomes a series because this is one hell of a first entry.”

Spaziogames - Italian - 8.2 / 10

Gotham Knights surprised us in a positive way: it's not a revolution for the genre, but it's able to entertain the fans of the DC Universe, especially because Batman's not here.

Capsule Computers - 8 / 10

Can you make a Batman-dependent game without Batman? Gotham Knights proves to us that all things are possible.

Dexerto - 8 / 10

A lot has been riding on Gotham Knights' shoulders but the wait has paid off dividends. Performance issues aside, its gripping story and gorgeous open-world enforce it as a confident successor to the Arkham franchise. Gotham Knights is a robust co-op adventure that embraces the Dark Knight's world wholeheartedly.

GameSkinny - 8 / 10

Gotham Knights takes up the mantle of the Batman series and ably carves out an identity of its own, rather than recreating that of its predecessors.

God is a Geek - 8 / 10

There's a lot to love about Gotham Knights, especially when fighting or traversing the city, but a few hiccups do hold it back.

PlayStation Universe - 8 / 10

Gotham Knights step out of the shadows of the Dark Knight and provide a breath of fresh air with four unique characters that provide a different approach to protecting Gotham. Gotham Knights' combat may feel stripped down, but it still provides some of the best melee combat on the market. Gotham City has plenty of crimes to solve and challenges to get through. It's just a shame some of its traversals can be so bothersome.

Pure Xbox - 8 / 10

Gotham Knights is a dark, dense and surprisingly gripping action adventure that almost manages to step up to the level of the very best of the Arkham series. There's a cracking story to dive into here, a huge and wonderfully detailed city, tons of lore for Bat fans, brutally crunchy combat, four cool superheroes to get a handle on and some of Gotham's most infamous villains to take down as you fight to prevent an all-out turf war. We were slightly concerned going into this one but, as it turns out, we needn't have been. If you can ignore some messy menus and a few too many upgradeable bits and bobs, you'll have a great time.

SECTOR.sk - Slovak - 8 / 10

Gotham Knights brings a familiar world and characters, borrows basics from the Arkham series, but lacks the polish that the Arkham series was known for. It offers fun co-op and variable characters, but the side content sometimes seems rather generic.

Screen Rant - 4 / 5

Despite the cumbersome gear system and its repetitive combat elements, Gotham Knights largely succeeds as a unique, story-driven adventure that sells the vigilante experience.

The Beta Network - 8 / 10

Gotham Knights successfully gives players a great new Batman title, without a heavy reliance on the Caped Crusader himself. The gameplay is fun, with combat feeling excellent, and the co-op really adds a whole new layer to the game. With an intriguing narrative that sees the Dark Knight’s understudies take up the mantle, Gotham Knights provides an exciting and emotional experience that is definitely worth picking up!

TheSixthAxis - 8 / 10

With Batman dead, his four proteges have big boots to fill in Gotham Knights. Thankfully Warner Bros. Montreal has largely pulled it off, creating a Gotham City that's filled with things to do, and letting the four characters' contrasting styles show in combat and their personalities come through in the story.

VGC - 4 / 5

Gotham Knights steps out of Arkham’s shadow to provide a great super hero game full of excellent characters. While some open-world fluff remains, it’s still gaming’s best take on Gotham that we couldn’t stop exploring.

Worth Playing - 8 / 10

Gotham Knights stands in the shadow of giants, and while it doesn't necessarily stand as an equal, it's a valiant effort. There's clearly a lot of love and care put into the game, and while it doesn't hit every mark, it hits more than it misses. The only thing that really drags it down are some technical issues and a slight drought of unique open-world content to complete. It's a great attempt to figure out how you do Batman without Batman, and this title should scratch the itch of any Batman fan.

IGN Italy - Italian - 7.9 / 10

Gotham Knights is a dense and mostly enthralling action RPG with a competent (if predictable) story and the best Gotham City ever seen in a videogame. From a technical standpoint there are some annoying performance issues, and it doesn't look like the game was really meant to be next-gen, but the gameplay is solid and playing in co-op with a friend it's definitely an experience worth trying.

Geek Culture - 7.8 / 10

Gotham Knights brings to the table a still-satisfying blend of combat and stealth, four distinct enough superheroes that should really get their own standalone games, and some interesting story beats that could use more time to be fleshed out. Whether that is enough to mask the issues will be a decision players will have to make, just like the contrast with the Arkham games. No one said being a superhero was easy, and the growing pains of Gotham Knights are a clear indication that the mantle of Batman is one that is hard to wear.

Impulsegamer - 3.9 / 5

Gotham Knights is a beautiful game that tells an amazing story. Fans of Batman and Arkham Knights will definitely like what they see. Still, the game's over-reliance on grapple and grind can wear thin, even with a terrific nightly progression system that advances main and side missions wonderfully. Final judgment should be reserved for robust multiplayer inclusion, however.

Xbox Achievements - 78%

You may spend a lot of your time comparing Gotham Knights to the Arkham series, and that's to be expected. But this is a different beast, and something to be relished on its own terms.

Gamefa - Persian - 7.7 / 10

Gotham Knights is an enjoyable experience that sadly has been negatively affected by Absence of performance mode and some issues regarding Level design. at the end of the day, Gotham Knights is definitely worth Playing, but it's far from perfect.

Checkpoint Gaming - 7.5 / 10

Gotham Knights smartly puts focus on some iconic DC Villains and showcases a new threat with an interesting story full of conspiracies and secrets. It does a good job of establishing this story with underrated heroes, tying in fun action which is enhanced greatly by playing with a friend. Other elements, like boring diversions from the main story, a tacked-on crafting system, and an over-reliance on throwing piles of long, repetitive battles in your path towards the end are less successful, but I still enjoyed my time exploring Gotham City overall. Especially if you have a sidekick, this is a superhero adventure that is well worth suiting up for.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 7.5 / 10

While entertaining, the Gotham Knights still doesn't seem to be at the level of its mentor

Explosion Network - 7.5 / 10

Gotham Knights took on the high expectation of its audience by taking on the Court of Owls storyline. Though it flounders under the weight throughout the playtime, it is still a great Batman experience that does explore the loss of Batman and what it means for the world going forward.

Geeks & Com - French - 7.5 / 10

Although I had fun with Gotham Knights, it will not be in our games of the year list. It has a lot of good elements going for it like amazing combat, fun villains, great AI and an efficient co-op mode, but it's hampered by boring protagonists, some design issues and a poorly exploited sense of progression.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 75 / 100

Gotham Knights doesn't know what game wants to be. It has the narrative and structure of a single player game... But also lackluster RPG elements that doesn't add anything to the formula and infinite, repeatable objectives like a MMO. It's not a bad game and we actually had fun with our time with it, but it lacks... something. And it's not Batman.

MondoXbox - Italian - 7.5 / 10

Gotham Knights has a lot of potential which, however, stays partly unexpressed: the fights suffer from a lower physicality compared to the previous Arkham titles and even the city traversal appears less convincing, while a graphics performance mode would have helped in the most frantic action scenes. It however remains a game capable of entertaining and highly recommended to fans of the Bat-family, mainly thanks to a good story that manages to keep us glued to the screen.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 75 / 100

Gotham Knights is hampered by a marketing that did not distance it enough from the Arkham series, being a totally different universe that can't be compared. It has good combat, especially when co-op, and a fun, comic book-style campaign. However, the lack of creativity in some points, activities that look the same and the refinement in general prevent the title from shining more.

Press Start - 7.5 / 10

Gotham Knights is both something different and something familiar for Batman fans. While the new role-playing elements create some pacing issues throughout the story, the breadth of abilities and ease of progression stop the experience from being as tedious as it could have been.

Prima Games - 7.5 / 10

Sure there are technical snaggles and pitfalls here and there. Some of them deeper than others. But I’m so glad Gotham Knights cares enough to take that home run swing in the first place.

PushStartPlay - 7.5 / 10

It won’t win any Game of the Year awards, but it still has charm. Be the hero that this game needs because Gotham Knights is an underdog story worth experiencing.

Seasoned Gaming - 7.5 / 10

I find Gotham Knights to have charm to it with a solid roster of characters, an interesting storyline, and elements that really immersed me into the mystery of Gotham.

Wccftech - 7.5 / 10

Gotham Knights is an enjoyable action RPG that follows in the footsteps of the Batman: Arkham legacy while striking out on its own in a slightly different direction. It's the most realistic Gotham City we've seen yet, even though the story is only serviceable and the performance is disappointing. Still, fans of the genre and the characters should have fun with the game.

XGN.nl - Dutch - 7.5 / 10

Gotham Knights is a good game dragged down by a few mechanics that feel a little out of place. The story, characters, and gameplay is really fun, strengthened by a great-looking open world, and tons of stuff to do. The fact that you'll need to do all of it in 30 fps is a big problem though, although some co-op makes up for it a little.

Game Informer - 7.3 / 10

Even if they’re not quite up to snuff, Gotham has enough baddies to punch to make for a good time, whoever you are.

Attack of the Fanboy - 3.5 / 5

Gotham Knights does a spectacular job of creating a world that's fun to explore and learn more about, but not without its technical faults.

FingerGuns - 7 / 10

A worthwhile entry into the DC/Batman game series, Gotham Knights can be a fun experience in single-player or co-op with its strengths lying in variety and its four-Knight team. However, its confusing UI, repetitive stripped-back combat, and lack of stealth options leave it unable to reach the glorious heights of the Arkham games.

GGRecon - 7 / 10

"Gotham Knights is an excellent action experience when it is firing on all cylinders. However, the risk of the engine stalling and the game stuttering to a halt might be too much for all but the most devoted fans."

Game Rant - 3.5 / 5

Gotham Knights offers a fun and satisfying gameplay loop, but many features lack the follow-through needed to make a great, cohesive game.

Gamepur - 7 / 10

Gotham Knights is a game that feels at odds with itself, wanting to dip its toes into so many things without fully committing itself to one thing or another.

GamingBolt - 7 / 10

Gotham Knights' insistence on being a modern open world RPG leads to some gameplay issues and painfully generic mechanics, but there's a lot of fun to be had here nonetheless, and an engaging story to experience. It may not be Arkham, but it's good enough in its own right.

Hardcore Gamer - 3.5 / 5

Gotham Knights has its moments of brilliance and fun, but never manages to step out of Batman’s looming shadow. These knights are more than sidekicks, they just aren’t heroes quite yet.

Merlin'in Kazanı - Turkish - 70 / 100

While Gotham Knight did a much better job than I expected, it's a slightly above average game with a weak open world and not indistinguishably different playable characters.

Push Square - 7 / 10

Gotham Knights is the type of game you so dearly want to love, but time and time again it gives you a reason not to.

Shacknews - 7 / 10

Batman has trained these heroes for this moment, but they aren't ready to rise to the occasion just yet with Gotham Knights.

TrueAchievements - 7 / 10

Gotham Knights' situation as a game aptly reflects the struggle of its protagonists — the new team has big boots to fill now Bats is gone, and while they can't quite live up to his legacy, they still manage to make an impression by doing things their own way. Combat is decent once it opens up, and traversal and the overarching gameplay loop are both great, but it's a shame that Gotham Knights' performance leaves a lot to be desired.

GamePro - German - 65 / 100

Gotham Knights obviously suffers from its difficult development, which buries a thoroughly fun core under many problems

Multiplayer First - 6.5 / 10

While I can strongly recommend Gotham Knights to any Batman fan out there, I will say that you should temper expectations a bit, especially if you’re going into this thinking it’ll be anything like the Arkham series. There’s a lot to enjoy about it, such as the combat, and the story that helps keeps you going, but outside of that, there is just too much left to be desired. The open-world isn’t particularly special in anyway, mostly serving as a way to pad hours with boring side activities that are forced to progress. Not the most interesting of gameplay loops that gets tiring well before the midpoint. Then there’s the stealth that just doesn’t build upon the working formula of the Arkham franchise, if not regresses it. 

It’s worth a play for sure, but nothing I would say that anyone needs to rush out and experience.

PowerUp! - 6.5 / 10

Basically, Gotham Knights got pushed out of the belfry when it was only barely, kinda, sorta ready to fly.

Sirus Gaming - 6.5 / 10

Gotham Knights can prove to be a great game in certain aspects but it struggles to find its own identity. It’s lost and doesn’t really know what it wants to be, but regardless of its identity crisis, Gotham Knight’s characters, co-op, and enjoyable combat made my time memorable and bearable.

Tom's Guide - 3.5 / 5

Unfortunately, its rough edges leave a noticeable mark, and the poor writing and seriously disappointing performance on next-gen hardware hold it back.

EGM - 3 / 5

Gotham City might never have looked better, but Gotham Knights' gameplay repetition and lack of length to the main narrative might deter all but the most hardcore Batman fans. Co-op adds a fun layer to all the crime fighting, and every character feels truly different from one another, even if the combat system takes some getting used to. Overall, there is a solid core here that hopefully can be built on in the future.

Enternity.gr - Greek - 6 / 10

Gotham Knights only appeals to die-hard fans of the Gotham universe, even if it does so at the risk of completely disappointing them.

Gadgets 360 - 6 / 10

Drawing from the refined toolkit that powered Batman: Arkham and Marvel's Spider-Man, WB Games Montréal has produced a cookie-cutter superhero experience that's not looking to push any boundaries.

GameWatcher - 6 / 10

Warner Bros. attempt at getting things going again with Gotham Knights feels largely flat thanks to unwieldy movement and a world that is more "checklist" than immersive, but in small doses it can be fun, and the heroes all feel unique and work well in co-op multiplayer.

Gameblog - French - 6 / 10

Gotham Knights is one of those games with potential spoiled by a pile of questionable game design choices.

GamingINTEL - 6 / 10

Living in the shadow of Rocksteady's Arkham series, Gotham Knights can't seem to leave a mark for even the biggest Batman fans. A wave of performance issues only makes the decent combat and terrible traversal worse, and a good story won't help it alone.

Guardian - 3 / 5

The latest DC adaptation struggles to craft something spectacular from its ensemble cast and role-playing action

Life is Xbox - 60%

Holy cow Batman! Gotham Knights only memorable thing is having the gut to kill Batman on screen, everything else is a mediocre experience that will make DC fans angry and disappointed.

Metro GameCentral - 6 / 10

Simultaneously better and worse than you'd expect, with some fun co-op and detective elements but weak combat and muddled storytelling.

PCGamesN - 6 / 10

Its colourful cast of characters handles Batman's absence well, but mismatched features and puzzling progression means it trips as much as it triumphs.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 6 / 10

Gotham Knights didn't provide anything that surpasses the Arkham Knight games, it has the ideas but it failed with the execution. The performance is also the worst of any current gen exclusive game, it could be worth giving a shot if you are hungry or thirsty for an experience similar to Arkham Knight but that is pretty much it

TechRaptor - 6 / 10

Gotham Knights has plenty of great ideas to shake up the Batman formula, but never quite gets them together for an all-star team-up. Instead, it's a forgettable game that will only please the most diehard DC fans.

Telegraph - 3 / 5

If the Arkham games are Christopher Nolan levels of invention and genius then Gotham Knights is hanging out down in the DC Extended Universe with Zak Snyder and Aquaman. Set your expectations accordingly and there’s enjoyable entertainment to be had.

VG247 - 3 / 5

It's been many years in the making, but can Gotham Knights meet expectations? Not really.

MMORPG.com - 5.5 / 10

If you aren’t a Batman fan, I’m not sure that there is enough that stands out that dropping full retail on Gotham Knights is a smart move. The game could certainly use some patches, the full four-player mode isn’t out yet at release and I feel like holiday releases may quickly overshadow this game. That isn’t to say that there isn’t a great concept, but like Batman, it's crushed to death under all the debris.

GamesRadar+ - 2.5 / 5

This isn't the game that Gotham deserves, and it's not the one it needs right now either

IGN - 5 / 10

Gotham Knights is a co-op-centric caped adventure that made my interest Wayne thanks to poor combat, a transparently predictable mystery, and grueling progression.

We Got This Covered - 2.5 / 5

There are plenty of moments in Gotham Knights that make for a good time - the camaraderie between the heroes is enjoyable, and the city itself looks great. However, the combat is too basic and monotonous to stand on its own, and the story struggles to get going before it falls apart.

WellPlayed - 5 / 10

Gotham Knights sets itself apart from the Arkham series in all the wrong ways, leaving players with a disappointing action-RPG that's in desperate need of refinement.

PC Gamer - 49 / 100

Gotham Knights attempts to differentiate itself from the Arkham series with new characters and a new canon, but spends most of its length poorly imitating what made those games great.

GameSpot - 4 / 10

Gotham Knights takes the Arkham blueprint and reimagines it as a loot-brawler, often feeling similar, but where it's different, it's worse.

Stevivor - 4 / 10

Those without a real attachment to the Bat family will feel indifferent to what's presented; most who adore Dick and Babs will simply be disappointed.

ACG - Wait for Sale

"There are some things to like about this game and I can see some fans being very into it, but the longer its played the more quickly each new idea becomes a reminder of just how bland it can be."

Console Creatures - Recommended

Gotham Knights deliver a fantastically told story that deals with the grief of losing Batman by carrying on the legacy as the protector of Gotham City.

Eurogamer - No Recommendation

This is a slight muddle of a game, but it has its pleasures.

GamesBeat - Unscored

Perhaps there’s a DC fan out there who really wants to see villains like Clayface and the Court of Owls in a game and who might get more of this experience than I did. But I think everyone else can safely skip Gotham Knights.

One More Game - Wait

Gotham Knights does a lot of things right but keeps flying low and fails to push past the point of just good to great. Crime fighting is best done with another Knight by your side, and the untethered nature of its co-op play feels great until you experience the massive performance drops.

Players will need to look past a number of things before considering the game, which could be a tough ask, especially with other big-ticket titles launching within its release window. It’s a shame, because Gotham Knights has some interesting ideas that simply suffer from average implementation. A lot of things in the game feels ok but not great, but fans of the Bat-universe can find quite a decent adventure that can easily entertain.

Polygon - Unscored

Gotham Knights is lacking some of the interpretive moves that made both Rocksteady’s Arkham games and WB Games Montreal’s own Arkham Origins so fascinating and unique. It’s yet another encounter on the same rain-soaked streets.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

Gotham Knights has the tiniest shreds of goodness, perhaps tapping into the primal urge within all of us to make the numbers go up. I just don't want to play it again, which says it all for a game that's designed to worm into your brain and keep you coming back for more of its bazillion currencies.

Vamers - Recommended

It is clear WB Games Montreal put concentrated effort into the development process of the game. Although there are many inconsistencies throughout Gotham Knights, some of which can be truly game-breaking for some gamers; the overall narration and world building are superbly well done. So much so, it offers an experience deserving of both fans of the Batman comics and gamers who want more of “the dark knight”. Collectibles are a hit or miss in the open world and traversal is just an overall disappointment, but stepping into the shoes as one of the Dark Knight’s sidekicks is a proper treat. Batman truly is dead; long live the bat-family.

gameranx - Unscored

Video Review - Quote not available

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Gotham Knights (WB Montreal, 21 October 2022) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Honestly, from all I have heard & read, I'll probably wait for a "GOTY" edition w/ all the post release DLC included (is there even going to be?) Was scrolling through Twitter earlier and while I didn't get the actual reveal from what I saw, I'm hearing that the ending isn't very good.

11 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I have NEVER understood the notion that you can tell how good a game plays by watching someone else play it. To me that's like determining whether food tastes good by watching someone else eat. Gameplay, particularly a beat em up like this lives and dies on how it feels and I'll reserve judgement until I have a controller in my hand.

Also... this.

I mean, its easy to tell if gameplay looks fun and weighty. This never, ever has. And pretending reviews can't confirm an opinion is dumb. 

Me: "Hey, this games combat looks spongy and without weight."

Reviewers/streamers: "enemies are spongy and the attacks lack weight"

Confirmed.

4 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, its easy to tell if gameplay looks fun and weighty. This never, ever has. And pretending reviews can't confirm an opinion is dumb. 

Confirmed.

Except there's like a whole TON of different opinions even in reviews as evidenced by the reviews posted in this topic. Just focusing on the reviews that agree with what you already think  is confirmation bias. I've seen people complain about how games they LIKED where played by reviewers and streamers but whatever, I'll be playing the game later today and make up my own mind. 

• Halal 2

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Except there's like a whole TON of different opinions even in reviews as evidenced by the reviews posted in this topic. Just focusing on the reviews that agree with what you already think  is confirmation bias. I've seen people complain about how games they LIKED where played by reviewers and streamers but whatever, I'll be playing the game later today and make up my own mind. 

I look forward to some of your impressions.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

4 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Confirmed.

I think that you can get the general gist if a game looks fun or not to you by watching gameplay videos and streams, but I also think that you still need to actually play a game for yourself to truly know for sure. There have been times when I’ve gotten games and they were pretty much exactly what I was expecting them to be, and times when they surprised me by being better than I was expecting them to be. Just as there have been times when games weren’t as good as I was expecting them to be because critics over-praised them IMO. So for me personally reviews, gameplay videos and streams can’t always confirm if I will like a game or not, only playing them for myself really can.

51 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Just focusing on the reviews that agree with what you already think  is confirmation bias. I've seen people complain about how games they LIKED where played by reviewers and streamers but whatever, I'll be playing the game later today and make up my own mind. 

I’m looking forward to hearing what you think of it.

• Halal 1

Knowing what I know about the comics, the plot already seems predictable and I can guess a couple of late game twists already. That's not necessarily a bad thing for me though. Still watching the opening though... gameplay hasn't started yet. Robin and Batgirl's default costumes are getting changed immediately lol. Gonna start with Robin I think... Game is finally starting.

OK, so I played the intro and I'm enjoying it so far. Looks great with all the bells and whistles turned on, but congratualtions on being the first game that my shiny new 4090 can't keep at a rock solid 60FPS+! This is an espcially impressive failure given that I'm running it with DLSS turned on! :lol:

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 1
  • Halal 1

22 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Knowing what I know about the comics, the plot already seems predictable and I can guess a couple of late game twists already. That's not necessarily a bad thing for me though. Still watching the opening though... gameplay hasn't started yet. Robin and Batgirl's default costumes are getting changed immediately lol. Gonna start with Robin I think... Game is finally starting.

Thats what I have been thinking ever since the first previews.. the default costumes are horrible..

the Easy Allies 5 hours in previews showed better options as well as a few “inspired” by costumes that look great..

Still taking the wait and see approach to this..

• Halal 1

So i played through opening mission with Robin and a couple of REALLY quick thoughts. Combat is DEFINITELY different than Arkham. You're not just going to press a button and the character will automatically attack the nearest attacker like those games. This is a 3D beat em up at it's heart so you have to actually control your character to get them to attack other wise you'll end up hitting nothing. Not a hard adjustment, just don't try to play this like Arkham. Combat feels weighty and while initally it's pretty simple, X for melee attack, Y for ranged, B for dodge, it feels good. I haven't unlocked ANY abilities yet so I don't know how deep it gets. 

The investigations and clue system seems like it has REAL potential here. I only did one so far but I liked it... looking forward to more of those. The biggest thing that jumped out to me though is Gotham itself. I could have SWORN I heard previewers and reviewers say that Gotham felt empty and lifeless and I can tell you that the little part I just played completely belies that notion. In the other games what was missing? Civillians right? Well they are definitely here in this game.

I just did the Bat Cycle tutorial which has you summoning your vehicle and riding back to your base of operations. What surpised me during this short part of the game driving through the city was how inhabited it felt in contrast to the older games. Not only are citizns in the game and there's actual traffic and shit, you can hear them making comments about what's going on. It's not quite Rockstar games level but it's definitely more lively than any Batman game I've played we're Gotham was basically just a backdrop for gameplay. This feels like an actual place and I'm curious to see how much detail has gone into this city particularly with civilians and NPCS. I'm just shocked that there's as much there as in this short little section because I was led to believe that the city was as empty as the previous games were. Did I misunderstand that? 

18 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

the Easy Allies 5 hours in previews showed better options as well as a few “inspired” by costumes that look great..

Yeah I got the deluxe edition that included some more costumes. Nightwing's default costume is ok and Red Hood's is fine but Batgirl and Robin's suits have got to GO lol. Also I really wish Damian was in this game but Tim is fine. 

Oh one other thing, the voice acting and writing is... fine so far. Jason and Nightwing seem cool, Robin, Batgirl and Alfred? we'll see...

• Halal 1

59 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

OK, so I played the intro and I'm enjoying it so far. Looks great with all the bells and whistles turned on, but congratualtions on being the first game that my shiny new 4090 can't keep at a rock solid 60FPS+! This is an espcially impressive failure given that I'm running it with DLSS turned on! :lol:

Yeah the game looks a lot better than I expected too given the reviews, but I'm playing on a 65' LG OLED. MOST games look good on my TV :p Out of curiosity, what was causing your performance to dip? Was it 

Spoiler

The level with all of the fire in the burning lab?

This reminds me, I completely forgot this was 30fps until I saw your post lol!

47 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

It’s heavily single core cpu bottle necked it appears. It’s using like 40% of my gpu and 17% of my cpu. Pretty embarrassing yep!

But maxed out it does seem to hold 60fps still, with the exception of shader compilation stutter, which is probably what you are experiencing too! They will need to patch that unless nvidia does it for them like with FF7, to surprise of no one it appears to not be pre compiling shaders on launch.

13 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah the game looks a lot better than I expected too given the reviews, but I'm playing on a 65' LG OLED. MOST games look goon on my TV :p Out of curiosity, what was causing your performance to dip? Was it 

Reveal hidden contents

This reminds me, I completely forgot this was 30fps until I saw your post lol!

I'm on a 65" OLED as well and it looks fantastic! Then again, a world building on blacks and other cooler colors and then lit up with firey colors and effects is just going to pop on an OLED! :sun: It was the cycle tutorial you mentioned, it hitched as I travel to Bellfry!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

It’s heavily single core cpu bottle necked it appears. It’s using like 40% of my gpu and 17% of my cpu. Pretty embarrassing yep!

But maxed out it does seem to hold 60fps still, with the exception of shader compilation stutter, which is probably what you are experiencing too! They will need to patch that unless nvidia does it for them like with FF7, to surprise of no one it appears to not be pre compiling shaders on launch.

Yup, I imagine a patch is inbound. The weird thing is, I forced it down to 60FPS after it kept bounce 60-90 when I had the cap at 120. But when I set it to cap at 60, it would maddeningly fluctuate between 55-60?! 

4 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yup, I imagine a patch is inbound. The weird thing is, I forced it down to 60FPS after it kept bounce 60-90 when I had the cap at 120. But when I set it to cap at 60, it would maddeningly fluctuate between 55-60?! 

Yep! That’s the shader compilation I believe. Same thing here. Probably gets better at least after you run around the city a bit. But yeah I think it’ll need a patch before I get serious with it!

• Halal 1

6 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

OK, so far I'm going to say that this is a solid game and that whatever people's expecations were/are, it clouding there judgement of the actual game infront of them. Good times to be had here! 

Good to hear! Luckily I’m just planning on checking it out up through the beginning and then it’s on to Plague’s Tale first, so hopefully a shader comp patch hits before I get to it! Just let me compile them for 10min one time and be done with it cmon people!

Honestly I don’t see how you release a pc game with shader compilation stutter like this when they have to know everyone is aware about it now and that there are ways to fix it so it’s all on them.

• Halal 1