Gotham Knights (WB Montreal, 21 October 2022) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

skillzdadirecta

I actually booted up Arkham Knight to play them back to back because people keep making this comparison and while the rain on pc still looks super impressive, overall I definitely don’t think it looks better than Gotham. Just the lighting alone is a lot better, but also scale wise, Knight is really narrow and more of a playground than a fully realized city like in Gotham. Also I don’t like how Batman looks, too bulky, and the bat mobile covers up like 50% of the screen. 

In general you are looking at an amazing looking for it’s time last gen game compared to a pretty good looking for its time current gen game. It really speaks more towards how games from last gen haven’t aged out the same way. Next year you can make the same 7 year comparison with Uncharted 4 vs like 95% of games that come out.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

21 minutes ago, stepee said:

I actually booted up Arkham Knight to play them back to back because people keep making this comparison and while the rain on pc still looks super impressive, overall I definitely don’t think it looks better than Gotham. Just the lighting alone is a lot better, but also scale wise, Knight is really narrow and more of a playground than a fully realized city like in Gotham. Also I don’t like how Batman looks, too bulky, and the bat mobile covers up like 50% of the screen. 

In general you are looking at an amazing looking for it’s time last gen game compared to a pretty good looking for its time current gen game. It really speaks more towards how games from last gen haven’t aged out the same way. Next year you can make the same 7 year comparison with Uncharted 4 vs like 95% of games that come out.

FWIW, Arkham Knight looked better on consoles than PC. The rain and other effects were half-broken on PC and never got properly patched.

30 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

FWIW, Arkham Knight looked better on consoles than PC. The rain and other effects were half-broken on PC and never got properly patched.

I thought the rain was fixed? At least the nvidia rain looks good idk lol. But yeah I think I remember some other stuff missing I forget what, but the effects weren’t what stood out to me as being better anyway, it was everything else, (geometry/modeling/texture resolution/lighting/shadows, etc). The rain is pretty weak in Gotham though, if the pc rain is still broken it still looks better which isn’t great. 

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

I thought the rain was fixed? At least the nvidia rain looks good idk lol. But yeah I think I remember some other stuff missing I forget what, but the effects weren’t what stood out to me as being better anyway, it was everything else, (geometry/modeling/texture resolution/lighting/shadows, etc). The rain is pretty weak in Gotham though, if the pc rain is still broken it still looks better which isn’t great. 

It was only partially fixed. It doesn’t accumulate and roll down models/objects in the way it does on PS4 and Xbone: on consoles it’s much more pronounced and realistic while on PC it’s kinda barely there.

6 hours ago, best3444 said:

Look at the YouTube comparison vid above. Yes, Arkham had particle effects. It honestly looks more impressive than Gotham overall which is embarrassing. 😳 

I'm not giving that vid the views...  I'ts been popping up in my feed for weeks so I was aware of it. Downloading Arkham now to see for myself.

I just played Arkham Knight again to see if I’m taking crazy pills, but I’m just not seeing it looking better. Maybe in carefully selected comparisons in a youtube video especially since Knight is a lot busier. But I don’t think that a a positive, it’s just the scale is smaller so everything is crammed together with less breathing room like a real city. 

Beyond better rain and water and preferring the aesthetics of the post processing effects on Knight, every other category falls in Gotham’s favor. Gotham is a fantastic looking game, it just runs like shit so people are having fun trying to dunk on it with this comparison. But it looks like a damn CG movie or show or some shit sometimes, it’s so clean and the lighting and shadows are fantastic. Not to mention ray traced reflections. And then yeah geometry, modeling, texture resolution, volumetric fog, like every main part of the graphics package is better in Gotham. Knight looks way more “gamey”, it has great art direction but at the end of the day it is a UE3 game and the technology backbone betrays it.

• Halal 2

17 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The video wasn’t trying to show it looking better, just that they’re not that far off considering 7+ years

I think they are far off in some areas (anywhere with ray tracing is automatically going to be much superior) but yeah I think that is more about the state of graphics tech in general more than anything particular with this game. 

You can also put this game against most games in general and it will look better than them besides a couple handful or so.

Edit: I mean, it’s a fine comparison to make I suppose, I just find it silly sometimes when a game keeps getting dinged on its graphics while also being easily one of the best looking games out there. Same thing with the TLOU remake. Like, I get what people are saying but at the end of the day the game looks stunning.

23 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

“Good” vs “one of the best looking games out there”

I really think it is besides performance. It has a good ray tracing suite, great animation and modeling, and nice enough looking open world, and then in the actual stages the game really shines with lots of asset variety. I think there’s probably 15 or so better looking games but I’d probably put it in my top 20. Maybe part of that is me just liking how it looks, but it definitely checks off a lot of tech boxes too. Like @skillzdadirecta I can’t stop pausing the game to go in photo mode and just look at how good it looks.

• Halal 1

42 minutes ago, stepee said:

I really think it is besides performance. It has a good ray tracing suite, great animation and modeling, and nice enough looking open world, and then in the actual stages the game really shines with lots of asset variety. I think there’s probably 15 or so better looking games but I’d probably put it in my top 20. Maybe part of that is me just liking how it looks, but it definitely checks off a lot of tech boxes too. Like @skillzdadirecta I can’t stop pausing the game to go in photo mode and just look at how good it looks.

I’m early in the game but it looks like an early PS4 game with some occasional niceness. Uncharted 4 looks better. The graphics are more a mess than “next gen” :p 

I mean, Watch Dogs Legion even looks better

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m early in the game but it looks like an early PS4 game with some occasional niceness. Uncharted 4 looks better. The graphics are more a mess than “next gen” :p 

I mean, Watch Dogs Legion even looks better

Watch Dogs Legion is super high up there though! Game needs a 4090 to max it at 60fps, and it’s properly optimized. UC4 on pc looks amazing too. But start going down the list and you soon just realize there aren’t many current gen looking games at all, so you are left with who puts the prettiest face on the ps4 base, so something like this still can stand out as one of the best of what we have now. That won’t last long, mind!

9 minutes ago, stepee said:

Watch Dogs Legion is super high up there though! UC4 on pc looks amazing too. But start going down the list and you soon just realize there aren’t many current gen looking games at all, so you are left with who puts the prettiest face on the ps4 base, so something like this still can stand out as one of the best of what we have now. That won’t last long, mind!

We can agree to disagree but... "Games that are better graphically than Gotham Knights":
Uncharted 4

Spider-Man Remastered

Horizon Forbidden West

God of War PS4

Plague Tale Requiem

Metro Exodus EE

Forza Horizon 5

Call of Duty Black Ops

Call of Duty Modern Warfare II

Far Cry 6

Gears of War 5

Assassins Creed Valhalla

Death Loop

MS Flight Simulator

Doom Eternal

Watch Dogs Legion

Devil May Cry 5

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

The Witcher 3

Cyberpunk 2077

Control

Deus Ex Mankind Divided

Halo Infinite

Battlefront II

Battlefield 2042

Jurassic World Evolution 2

MGSV

Death Stranding

The Last of Us Part II

The Last of Us Remastered

Guardians of the Galaxy

Dying Light 2

Mechwarrior V

Red Dead Redemption II

That's legit off the top of my head.

Are you sure you're not just enamored by a new game that's programmed so badly that your 4090 is having trouble and you want to justify not getting 60fps? :p 

Like, this is the same muddy ass game that we're talking about, right? gothamknights-reveal-redhoodgotham-scree

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

We can agree to disagree but... "Games that are better graphically than Gotham Knights":
Uncharted 4

Spider-Man Remastered

Horizon Forbidden West

God of War PS4

Plague Tale Requiem

Metro Exodus EE

Forza Horizon 5

Call of Duty Black Ops

Call of Duty Modern Warfare II

Far Cry 6

Gears of War 5

Assassins Creed Valhalla

Death Loop

MS Flight Simulator

Doom Eternal

Watch Dogs Legion

Devil May Cry 5

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

The Witcher 3

Cyberpunk 2077

Control

Deus Ex Mankind Divided

Halo Infinite

Battlefront II

Battlefield 2042

Jurassic World Evolution 2

MGSV

Death Stranding

The Last of Us Part II

The Last of Us Remastered

Guardians of the Galaxy

Dying Light 2

Mechwarrior V

Red Dead Redemption II

That's legit off the top of my head.

Are you sure you're not just enamored by a new game that's programmed so badly that your 4090 is having trouble and you want to justify not getting 60fps? :p 

Like, this is the same muddy ass game that we're talking about, right? gothamknights-reveal-redhoodgotham-scree

I disagree with a lot of those looking better yeah! Especially Mech Warrior 5 ew, uninstalled that so fast. And MGS5? ehhhhh. It definitely has better lighting and shadows than most of those imo.

But yeah I don’t find it muddy at all either, I think it has a super clean look. Going to have to just agree to disagree on this one! 

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

I disagree with a lot of those looking better yeah! Especially Mech Warrior 5 ew, uninstalled that so fast. And MGS5? ehhhhh. It definitely has better lighting and shadows than most of those imo.

But yeah I don’t find it muddy at all either, I think it has a super clean look. Going to have to just agree to disagree on this one! 

I just checked a video of MW5 post ray tracing update, and yea, I’m thinking of a different mech game, but I have no idea which one! :p 

MGS5 has better character models, IMO.

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

Also you did catch most of the ones I do think look better though, but I just want to add Rachet to that list :P

That was off the top of my head, didn’t pause to think about it or Ratchet PS5 would’ve been there too, also maybe Dirt 5