Gotham Knights (WB Montreal, 21 October 2022) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

skillzdadirecta

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

i don't know, it may not look as good as Arkham Knight but it looks pretty damn good in the videos I've seen. I watched one of the preview vids on you tube on my TV and the gameplay looked really good. Also the game has untethered drop in co-op. So other players can drop into your game world but be off on their own doing their own thing. I don't know of any last gen games that could do that on last gen systems. State of Decay 2 had drop in co-op but you could only go so far away from the host as the guest player. Sometimes, it's not just graphics that determine whether or not a game can work on 8 year old hardware.

It definitely looks good, it has a somewhat different art style than the Batman Arkham games. It’s a little more colorful, and less dark and gritty which I think will make its Gotham feel a little different which is a good thing IMO since I wouldn’t want the same Gotham from the Batman Arkham games again. And you’re right, there might be reasons other than just graphics that are preventing it from being playable on last gen consoles. While I would like to be able to play it when it comes out, I will have to wait until I get a PS5.

48 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

It definitely looks good, it has a somewhat different art style than the Batman Arkham games. It’s a little more colorful, and less dark and gritty which I think will make its Gotham feel a little different which is a good thing IMO since I wouldn’t want the same Gotham from the Batman Arkham games again. And you’re right, there might be reasons other than just graphics that are preventing it from being playable on last gen consoles. While I would like to be able to play it when it comes out, I will have to wait until I get a PS5.

I watched one of the more recent previews that was posted in this topic a couple of posts earlier and the guy who played it said that it's really NOT like the Arkham games at all. He said that it's definitely a little more "Cheesier" as he put it and even plays differently than the other games. He was definitely excited to play more of it but he said he could see how a lot of fans of the Arkham games would not like a lot of the choices made in this game. That said, there were a lot of lighting effects and stuff that I saw that probably would have been really taxing on the older systems especially when you factor in untethered drop in co-op. The world is supposed to be REALLY big and proibably takes advantage of the fast speeds of the SSD's on the newer systems. Another way to look it it is this... more platforms = more money. With the already installed player bases of the Xbox One and PS4, why WOULDN'T these guys want the game on those systems if they could do it? If it's not on those systems, it's probably because they couldn't get the game to run on those older systems with SUBSTANTIAL hits to performance. No company wants to go through what CD Project Red did with Cyberpunk. The Xbox One and PS4 have been around since forever but it's time to move on, especially if developing for those systems will cause games to suffer. I honestly think if these guys could make the game work on last gen consoles, they would have simply for economic reasons.

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I watched one of the more recent previews that was posted in this topic a couple of posts earlier and the guy who played it said that it's really NOT like the Arkham games at all. He said that it's definitely a little more "Cheesier" as he put it and even plays differently than the other games. He was definitely excited to play more of it but he said he could see how a lot of fans of the Arkham games would not like a lot of the choices made in this game.

After four Batman Arkham games, I’m glad that this isn’t just more of the same with different characters. It appears to be a little more cartoonish, and I’m fine with that.

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The world is supposed to be REALLY big and proibably takes advantage of the fast speeds of the SSD's on the newer systems. Another way to look it it is this... more platforms = more money. With the already installed player bases of the Xbox One and PS4, why WOULDN'T these guys want the game on those systems if they could do it? If it's not on those systems, it's probably because they couldn't get the game to run on those older systems with SUBSTANTIAL hits to performance. No company wants to go through what CD Project Red did with Cyberpunk. The Xbox One and PS4 have been around since forever but it's time to move on, especially if developing for those systems will cause games to suffer. I honestly think if these guys could make the game work on last gen consoles, they would have simply for economic reasons.

Yeah, there’s probably things other than just graphics preventing it from being playable on last gen consoles. I was just really looking forward to playing it this year, so I’m disappointed that I won’t be able to now. But it’s one of the games that I’m looking forward to playing the most when I get a PS5.

22 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Just really can't find myself getting excited for this one. Something about the stuff I've seen just doesn't do it for me.

I felt the same about GotG, so hopefully im wrong about this as well.

I feel the same way and hope to be pleasantly surprised!

People keep knocking the graphics I guess because it’s current gen only, but graphically it looks phenomenal on pc with ray tracing and all from the video I saw. Not sure if RT is on consoles or not, I don’t think they’ve said. But it’s a top of the line looking game, that won’t be an issue here.

I think for me just the general setup is kind of a yawn, I keep forgetting this is a single player game because of the four heroes thing, and it seems like it might be kinda grindy?

Still can’t get a read on it, I’m thinking maybe this game is more like a modern 3D beat ‘em up than like the other Arkham games? I could get behind that if that’s what it is.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

People keep knocking the graphics I guess because it’s current gen only, but graphically it looks phenomenal on pc with ray tracing and all from the video I saw. Not sure if RT is on consoles or not, I don’t think they’ve said. But it’s a top of the line looking game, that won’t be an issue here.

I think for me just the general setup is kind of a yawn, I keep forgetting this is a single player game because of the four heroes thing, and it seems like it might be kinda grindy?

Still can’t get a read on it, I’m thinking maybe this game is more like a modern 3D beat ‘em up than like the other Arkham games? I could get behind that if that’s what it is.

Nobody cares about your high end pc, you punk! Is that going to magically bring the game to last gen for Phase to play? Huh!?

Spoiler

:ohsnap:

56 minutes ago, stepee said:

It does kind of look like a last gen game IMO, and I think that’s partly due to its somewhat more cartoonish and colorful look compared to being ultra realistic looking. I think that the graphics are really good, but not quite current gen only good. Of course I expect it to have more visual bells and whistles on current gen consoles and PC, but it still visually looks like a game that could have been on last gen consoles to me. :shrug:

56 minutes ago, stepee said:

From what I can tell it’s a third person open world action adventure game with character and driving gameplay where you take on various missions around the city that take place both indoors and outdoors. The core gameplay appears to be beat ‘em up combat mixed with some investigative elements as well. I think that it’s kind of cool that you can switch to play any of the four characters at any time at your base of operations in the game, but I still only have an interest in playing as Batgirl. I don’t like switching between different characters in games, I just like playing as one primary character that I like.

17 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Nobody cares about your high end pc, you punk! Is that going to magically being the game to last gen for Phase to play? Huh!?

Hide contents

:ohsnap:

I’ve accepted the fact that I’m going to have to wait to play this when I get a PS5, and that’s fine as it just gives me another game to look forward to playing on it when I get it.

20 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I’ve accepted the fact that I’m going to have to wait to play this when I get a PS5, and that’s fine as it just gives me another game to look forward to playing on it when I get it.

There will be plenty of games to look forward to when you get a PS5. Stop trying to diminish this issue. :p

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm correct so far with average at 72. I'll be passing on this. I have too many other games to play. 

Also the scores IGN and Gamestop gave it are nasty.

I don't really care for IGN or Gamestop. But for the most part, their reviews usually are in line with my opinion as well. Which is why I will be passing on this too. Sucks because I was hoping this was gonna be good. But I just don't have the time or money to force myself to like something in spite of bad reviews, when the reviews were probably right all along. But I still might pick this up one day if the price is right because a beat em up with RPG elements checks a lot of my boxes. Maybe they will address some of the issues by then, idk.

17 minutes ago, nublood said:

I don't really care for IGN or Gamestop. But for the most part, their reviews usually are in line with my opinion as well. Which is why I will be passing on this too. Sucks because I was hoping this was gonna be good. But I just don't have the time or money to force myself to like something in spite of bad reviews, when the reviews were probably right all along. But I still might pick this up one day if the price is right because a beat em up with RPG elements checks a lot of my boxes. Maybe they will address some of the issues by then, idk.

Yea, I'm disappointed that the reviews are what they are so far. I know a good majority on here ignore reviews and will buy it regardless. I hope they get enjoyment out of it somehow. This game checks a lot of my boxes, too. It's unfortunate. 

I still expect to like the game, but while watching video reviews I feel like I’m looking at a last gen game and not a current gen only one. It doesn’t even look as impressive as some of the better looking last gen games like Horizon Forbidden West and Red Dead Redemption II which this Skill Up video review points out with comparisons.

WB said that the untethered co-op in the game is one of the reasons why it can’t perform better, so couldn’t they have just left it out? That seems like a better solution than not releasing the game for last gen consoles, and only offering a 30fps option for the current gen console versions.

If the untethered co-op in the game is the only reason why I can’t get this for PS4, then that really pisses me off because I couldn’t care less about co-op in this game. It’s a single player game as far as I’m concerned, and the co-op in it should only be considered a bonus and not a mandatory feature that prevents it from being on last gen consoles or having a 60fps option for current gen consoles.

33 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

It’s a single player game as far as I’m concerned, and the co-op in it should only be considered a bonus and not a mandatory feature that prevents it from being on last gen consoles or having a 60fps option for current gen consoles.

If you watch the Easy Allies video posted today, they think the opposite of you. They are considering it a co-op game and are going a little easy on it due to that fact. 

I still agree with you that this could have easily been playable on a PS4 so this is all just some bullshit.

Wtf this is TOMORROW? I didn’t even start Plagues Tale, portable Persona 5 finally came out today after waiting 5 years, Rabbids 2 is tomorrow, I just started Uncharted 4 on pc which is amazing, I want MW2 next week, then GOW 2 like the following week, then Pokémon about a week after that. Think I’m missing some stuff but these next 4 weeks are crazy for me after a long period of being able to catch up on backlog since like April. 

I also am half way through a bunch of platformers I need to keep playing too.

Timmmmeeeee.

Despite that, and these reviews, still gonna day1. If I can just beat people up through a nice looking open world Gotham and Im assuming brute force past its performance issues with a 4090, I bet I have a good time.

That said, the first quote on metacritic is fucking hysterical:

“Gotham Knights is up there with Elden Ring as a Game of the Year contender.”

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, best3444 said:

If you watch the Easy Allies video posted today, they think the opposite of you. They are considering it a co-op game and are going a little easy on it due to that fact. 

I still agree with you that this could have easily been playable on a PS4 so this is all just some bullshit.

Eh. The opinions of the remaining cast of EZA doesn't matter to me much. 

General consensus is its ok, but not worth 70$. 

13 minutes ago, stepee said:

Despite that, and these reviews, still gonna day1. If I can just beat people up through a nice looking open world Gotham and Im assuming brute force past its performance issues with a 4090, I bet I have a good time.

That said, the first quote on metacritic is fucking hysterical:

“Gotham Knights is up there with Elden Ring as a Game of the Year contender.”

Yep. You're one of the few here who can probably play it at 60fps too and there's enough in this game to enjoy. You'll like it.

That quote is phenomenal.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I really couldn’t care less what they think, this is obviously a story driven single player game with the option to be played co-op as well. I get that some people will like playing it co-op, but if that’s what’s preventing it from being on last gen consoles and having a 60fps option for current gen ones then co-op should have been left on the cutting room floor IMO.

52 minutes ago, stepee said:

I would be buying it tomorrow despite its reviews as well if there was a PS4 version. This is basically Saints Row all over again, the reviews are pretty much crapping all over it but I know that I’m going to still have a good time with it regardless. I’ve been looking forward to this game for a long time and I’m really in the mood to play it now, so it pisses me off that they canceled the last gen console versions pretty much at the last minute and now I have to wait until I get a PS5 to play it.

• Halal 1

I did watch a few people livestream the game on Youtube. And I must say from what I saw, it doesn't look like a a 4 or a 5 at all. I didn't see a GOTY contender. But honestly it looked like something that I could enjoy, despite having some flaws. Idk, I'm conflicted man.

5 minutes ago, nublood said:

I did watch a few people livestream the game on Youtube. And I must say from what I saw, it doesn't look like a a 4 or a 5 at all. I didn't see a GOTY contender. But honestly it looked like something that I could enjoy, despite having some flaws. Idk, I'm conflicted man.

This is soooo Saints Row I bet, where if you like what it is, it’s still a fun game. It’s just you don’t see “if you are a fan of the genre” as much in recent reviews.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

This is soooo Saints Row I bet, where if you like what it is, it’s still a fun game. It’s just you don’t see “if you are a fan of the genre” as much in recent reviews.

Will you be locked at 30 fps or can you make it better with all your shit you have?

Break Stuff No GIF

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Will you be locked at 30 fps or can you make it better with all your shit you have?

Break Stuff No GIF

I might be able to run this at 120fps amusingly enough!

edit: Though cpu optimization might ruin that notion! It will 100% at least run at 60fps though.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stepee said:

3D platformers are like this too, where reviews are essentially worthless. They are rated on a scale of “is it as good as Mario” and it doesn’t translate to if a fan of the genre should get the game or not. Kao 2022 is a 65 which might scare people away but at the same time I can’t imagine a fan of what the game actually is (and we exist!) not having a great time with it.

• True 1

This game might end up actually being trash even if it runs well for me, but just on the topic of reviews, I think we have reached a point where you have to look at it like movies and start to ignore them a bit more and pay closer attention to the type of game what types of games and mechanics you personally like.

There are exceptions both ways and a really high meta still will get my attention, but it’s just typically most games are pretty decent these days. There is just more talent, more experience, more tools, more streamlined ideas of how to make a competent game than there used to be.

Its really just about what is worth your time compared to the other options rather than if a game is truly broken or not. And so you kinda have to know your own tastes most importantly. 

• True 2

12 minutes ago, stepee said:

This game might end up actually being trash even if it runs well for me, but just on the topic of reviews, I think we have reached a point where you have to look at it like movies and start to ignore them a bit more and pay closer attention to the type of game what types of games and mechanics you personally like.

There are exceptions both ways and a really high meta still will get my attention, but it’s just typically most games are pretty decent these days. There is just more talent, more experience, more tools, more streamlined ideas of how to make a competent game than there used to be.

Its really just about what is worth your time compared to the other options rather than if a game is truly broken or not. And so you kinda have to know your own tastes most importantly. 

Bingo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nublood said:

I did watch a few people livestream the game on Youtube. And I must say from what I saw, it doesn't look like a a 4 or a 5 at all. I didn't see a GOTY contender. But honestly it looked like something that I could enjoy, despite having some flaws.

There’s no way that this game is a 4 or 5, those types of low scores for a game like this are nothing but hyperbole. It’s apparently not even buggy which is often the reason why games get lower scores. It just appears to be a somewhat typical open world super hero action game that doesn’t really bring anything different, exciting, or new to the table. Like you said it might not be a GOTY contender, but that doesn’t mean that it still can’t be a fun time if you enjoy the genre.

50 minutes ago, stepee said:

on the topic of reviews, I think we have reached a point where you have to look at it like movies and start to ignore them a bit more and pay closer attention to the type of game what types of games and mechanics you personally like.

I agree, because anyone going by review scores and nothing more to decide if they will like a game or not is doing themselves a disservice IMO. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, some of my favorite games over the years have gotten low scores from critics. It’s more about what critics actually say in their reviews that I pay attention to, because what might bother a critic might not bother me. I know what I like and don’t like when it comes to games, and that doesn’t always align with what critics like and don’t like.