Gotham Knights (WB Montreal, 21 October 2022) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

skillzdadirecta

4 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

It's still just 2 buttons: attack button, counter button. You mash attack until the counter prompt lights up then you press counter then go back to mashing attack.

I really liked the arkham games but combat is easily the weakest aspect imho.

There's a little more to it than that at higher levels and you can turn the indicator off but again, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Personally I myself had a lot of fun doing those challenge rooms especially with the other characters you could download who had different movesets than Batman like Nightwing and Robin. I've enjoyed all of the Arkham games including the combat and I'm looking forward to this one :peace:

2 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

Combat in the Arkham games was very well done from what I remember, definitely not a weakness.  

Especially when you got later into the game with different combos of enemies, they almost became puzzles.

Yup... that's what made those challenges so great. Different enemies had to be attacked or countered in different ways and the game taught you over the course of the game.  The game basically becomes a combat puzzle after a certain point. That's why that video I posted was so impressive... that dude went for 20 minutes with one long unbroken 2,000 hit combo. I think the highest I got was 150 hits or soemthing.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Gotham Knights (WB Montreal, 25 October 2022) - Information Thread, update: "Official Nightwing and Red Hood Gameplay Demo", current generation exclusivity announced
21 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

1280x720.jpg
WWW.PUSHSQUARE.COM

Everyone plays - Gotham Knights could yet receive support for up to four players in co-operative play as the game's PlaySt...

20 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It was originally three player co-op, right?

20 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Two players.

Well, so much for that notion...

28 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It’s past time to move on to the current gen. 

I wouldn’t necessarily say that it’s past time since I’m still fairly satisfied with the graphics and performance of the PS4. I also have 600+ games for it, so I don’t really need another game console right now especially one that costs $500. Heck, I couldn’t even get one now if I wanted to since they’re not available. I do plan on getting a PS5 Slim in the future if Sony releases one, but for now I’m still fine gaming on my PS4.

Eh, I'm think

6 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

PC Gamer is less-than-impressed:

7LKK9Nc2xASoYX2Wn6yY9E-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Ah yes, Dick 'Pointless Flips' Grayson.

The flips don't bother me.  But the sliding around is silly.  It's like they looked at Spiderman and thought they had to compensate for no webs here.

Doesn't look like should be delayed.  Just a bit misdirected.

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It's been nearly 2 years since the release. It's time to move on. You can still play all your PS4 games on a PS5.

It was more than 2 years into last generation before I got my PS4. But like I said, I couldn’t get a PS5 now even if I wanted to. They’re simply not available. I do plan on getting one in the future, but in the meantime I have more than enough to play on my PS4.

33 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

It's like they looked at Spiderman and thought they had to compensate for no webs here.

No, all of the Warner games with this playstyle play like this from the Arkham games to Mordor to Mad Max. Nothing new with that and that's before Spiderman. Either you're into it or you aren't.

18 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

No, all of the Warner games with this playstyle play like this from the Arkham games to Mordor to Mad Max. Nothing new with that and that's before Spiderman. Either you're into it or you aren't.

I don’t remember Arkham being this loosey goosey, but I’ll take your word for it.

10 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

What that 2000 hit combo video I posted. Batman is flying all over the place :p It gets really pronuonced the higher your combo string gets.

The biggest difference I can see is the animation.  With Batman, he’s constantly jumping, diving, flipping or rolling.  With this, there’s so many animations with this guy’s feet on the ground that it looks like he’s figure skating on asphalt.

20 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

It's still just 2 buttons: attack button, counter button. You mash attack until the counter prompt lights up then you press counter then go back to mashing attack.

I really liked the arkham games but combat is easily the weakest aspect imho.

This is overly reductive to the point that you could criticize any game this way. Effectively playing the game requires far more attention to timing, who you attack, what kind of combo you use, whether you dodge or counter (not everything can be countered) etc. The skill curve is quite high as the 2000x combo shows. It's fine if you don't find what's there fun but that's not the same as a claim that it's overly simplistic.

• Thanks 1

Uhh, Batman has like 9 trillion gadgets in the Arkham games, many of which are required (or at least useful) for certain types of enemies, if you were just doing attacks and counters you were playing in a very boring and ineffective way.

• True 1

1 hour ago, Phaseknox said:

It was more than 2 years into last generation before I got my PS4. But like I said, I couldn’t get a PS5 now even if I wanted to. They’re simply not available. I do plan on getting a one in the future, but in the meantime I have more than enough to play on my PS4.

You can find one if you try. It's how I got mine.

But things have to move forward sometime. Sounds like you've got plenty to play until you can get a PS5.

Game still doesn’t impress me and the movement is the big one for me. I think the players don’t have any real weight too them and look too floaty.
Season 4 GIF by Rick and Morty

The RedHood gameplay looks like total boring shit in all honesty. The city looked nice but that’s about all the praise I’m willing to give the game so far. 

Overall I'm not as excited as I thought I'd be after watching the new gameplay. The person playing as Red Hood is awful at the game. Makes Red Hood look kind of bad to play. 

There was also some pretty nasty slow down when Red Hood was fighting that big guy, and that cloudy red vfx appeared on screen.

You can find one if you try. It's how I got mine.

Yeah, I’m sure that if I wanted one bad enough right now that I could probably find one if I put forth the effort to do so. Congrats on getting yours BTW.

But things have to move forward sometime. Sounds like you've got plenty to play until you can get a PS5.

I figure that by the time that I get a PS5 it will have more exclusive games that I’m interested in, it doesn’t have too many right now. But one that it does have right now that I’m most interested in is Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. I’m a big fan of the Ratchet & Clank series, and Rift Apart looks stunning.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Gotham Knights (WB Montreal, 25 October 2022) - Information Thread, update: new reveal (again?) next Thursday @ Geoff's Summer Game Fest
  • 2 weeks later...