Bari Weiss has "self-expelled" herself from the NYT

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/4ay47q/bari-weiss-is-leaving-the-new-york-times

The writer and editor has self-expelled from the newspaper, she tells VICE.

Bari Weiss, a writer and editor for the embattled New York Times Opinion section, has resigned from the paper.

When reached by phone, Weiss did not want to offer any further comment beyond confirming that she was out. According to an internal source, she was removed from the staff directory sometime in the past week.

A controversial figure inside and outside the paper, Weiss leaves in the wake of what she recently described as a civil war at the Times between "(mostly young) wokes" and "(mostly 40+) liberals." That war reached its apex when Opinion head James Bennet, who had been widely tipped as a potential replacement for top Times editor Dean Baquet, left the paper after publishing an op-ed in which Senator Tom Cotton called for the use of the military force against protestors.

Her response:

My own forays into Wrongthink have made me the subject of constant bullying by colleagues who disagree with my views. They have called me a Nazi and a racist; I have learned to brush off comments about how I’m “writing about the Jews again.” Several colleagues perceived to be friendly with me were badgered by coworkers. My work and my character are openly demeaned on company-wide Slack channels where masthead editors regularly weigh in. There, some coworkers insist I need to be rooted out if this company is to be a truly “inclusive” one, while others post ax emojis next to my name. Still other New York Times employees publicly smear me as a liar and a bigot on Twitter with no fear that harassing me will be met with appropriate action. They never are.

There are terms for all of this: unlawful discrimination, hostile work environment, and constructive discharge. I’m no legal expert. But I know that this is wrong.

She couldn’t defend her opinions from Joe Rogan without making herself look like a fool (and all Rogan did was question her civilly, it wasn’t a fight, and she tripped all over herself)

when you can’t debate Joe Rogan on facts, you probably aren’t the best person to be reporting facts. Joe Rogan isn’t exactly a silver tongued devil. 

7 minutes ago, ort said:

With everything happening in the world, this is the top story on FoxNews.com at the moment.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/bari-weiss-quits-new-york-times-bullying

It's so funny how much Fox News like to point it's bony evil finger at everyone else and cackle and hoot about media bias... without a shred of self awareness or irony.

I wonder how many female interns have been raped at Fox. Probably far more than the other networks, and certainly more than at the NYT.

• Shocked 1

There is definitely a class of elite journalists. They have the right family, went to the right schools, have the right connections. They were rewarded with cushy jobs that only required them to write poorly researched columns full of complaints about those less fortunate than them. They've gone their whole lives without facing any criticism. When faced with randos dunking on them via Twitter, they complained about how it was harassment and were backed up by their wealthy friends. Fuck them all. They've never written anything of value and won't be missed. 

1 hour ago, Ricofoley said:

Remember when she spent several months in Australia and it was in service of writing a column that basically amounted to, "hey, turns out Australia is pretty chill!"

Wasn't she basically exiled to Australia? I seem to remember that not being completely voluntary on her part.