Star Trek: Lower Decks premiers August 6

54 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Is there any original CBS All Access show that isn't Star Trek related?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CBS_All_Access_original_programming

I think it says everything, though, that you've never heard of the rest of it, and that their main strategy is trying to get enough new Star Trek content in the pipeline to have a new Trek episode basically 52 weeks a year.

What is the deal with Discovery?

I swear when Picard ended they made it sound like they had Disco s3 lined up to start in a matter of weeks. Now it's over 3 monthes later and it looks like Lower Decks is leap frogging them. Unless they plan to run them together, which I thought they were trying to avoid, that means it will be months more for Disco at least.

I figured with the shut down going on they were trying to ration the episodes/shows they already have filmed, but that doesn't really explain why Lower Decks is cutting in line.

5 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

What is the deal with Discovery?

I swear when Picard ended they made it sound like they had Disco s3 lined up to start in a matter of weeks. Now it's over 3 monthes later and it looks like Lower Decks is leap frogging them. Unless they plan to run them together, which I thought they were trying to avoid, that means it will be months more for Disco at least.

I figured with the shut down going on they were trying to ration the episodes/shows they already have filmed, but that doesn't really explain why Lower Decks is cutting in line.

https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2493047/star-trek-discovery-season-3-is-also-facing-delays-but-its-not-all-bad

43 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yeah, I do remember hearing that, but if they already knew that why were they still promoting Disco as coming soon right as Picard ended, and why is Lower Decks leap frogging them?

Was Lower Decks already finished 3 monthes ago, or did progress on it continue while Disco seems stuck?

1 hour ago, Chairslinger said:

Yeah, I do remember hearing that, but if they already knew that why were they still promoting Disco as coming soon right as Picard ended, and why is Lower Decks leap frogging them?

Was Lower Decks already finished 3 monthes ago, or did progress on it continue while Disco seems stuck?

Just a guess, but back in March it still wasn't obvious whether WFH because of coronavirus would be a hiccup or a long-term problem. They may have been holding out hope that there would be at most a couple of weeks of delay.

• 3 weeks later...

That is such an odd trailer and tone in general for a Star Trek show. I'm willing to give it a try.

I've found that CBS all access is one of those things that I'll sub to for a month and watch the one or two things worth watching (Star Trek / The Good Fight).

32 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

That is such an odd trailer and tone in general for a Star Trek show. I'm willing to give it a try.

I've found that CBS all access is one of those things that I'll sub to for a month and watch the one or two things worth watching (Star Trek / The Good Fight).

I have heard NCIS New Orleans is good if you like that sort of thing. I am not big on crime procedurals, but I have been tempted to give it a try just because of Scott Bakula. It's kind of funny because he is famous for stuff like Quantum Leap and Enterprise, but at this point New Orleans has had a longer run than either.

As for Lower Decks, I am kind of looking forward to it if for no other reason it will be nice to have a series where the very fate of the Federation/galaxy/univese/multiverse is not on the line. 

8 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

It definitely looks like something worth checking out but also not worth paying money for. Like CBS in general.

Are they still handing out free months like candy? Easy enough to just wait until the first episode drops to start a free month to see how it is--that's my plan.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2020 at 9:08 AM, GeneticBlueprint said:

It definitely looks like something worth checking out but also not worth paying money for. Like CBS in general.

On 7/24/2020 at 5:16 PM, Jason said:

Are they still handing out free months like candy? Easy enough to just wait until the first episode drops to start a free month to see how it is--that's my plan.

There's a code MORE for a free month that's good until 8/16.

It may or may not be interesting, but its nice to see the franchise branch out. 

But I’m more interested in s3 of Disco. Thr first season was mostly terrible, but I really liked the second. It was definitely better than the first season of Picard (which was much better than S1 of Disco). But Strange New Worlds is the one im most interested in, though I doubt that will be out anytime soon.

41 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

It may or may not be interesting, but its nice to see the franchise branch out. 

But I’m more interested in s3 of Disco. Thr first season was mostly terrible, but I really liked the second. It was definitely better than the first season of Picard (which was much better than S1 of Disco). But Strange New Worlds is the one im most interested in, though I doubt that will be out anytime soon.

The first part of season 2 was great, but then those showrunners got themselves fired and instead we got the "yum yum" showrunners.

Just got through the intro for Lower Decks.

Ironically with the goofy scenes going on, LD definately has the most classic Trek theme of the three new shows.

And the ship itself looks better than Discovery imho(I liked the La Serena, but it was purposefully avoiding the classic Trek look, so it's hard to compare).

Lower Decks reminds me a bit of Orville at the begginning.

It slathers on the zaniness right out of the gate and is definately trying too hard. But settles down a bit halfway through and finds a story in there. There are some glimmers in there of how they plan to mix Star Trek with an adult oriented animated comedy.

3 hours ago, elbobo said:

Episode 2 was better than the first, still not a fan of the 2 main characters. The holodeck training simulations were great. 

I'm enjoying the show, but the "zany overly energetic" humor isn't really landing for me--I'm smiling but I'm not laughing.

I've basically been watching it as though it's not a comedy show and instead just a show that allows for crazier situations than you'd normally get in a Star Trek show.

I want to like it cuz I'm a ST fan, and I love seeing all the species, but I can't watch more of it.  If they got rid of the lead female character, I'd like the show more.  "Fuck ya'll, I'll do what I want" is fine for Bart Simpson, not for Star Fleet.

• 1 month later...