Star Trek: Lower Decks premiers August 6

6 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

Well I didn’t hate the first 4 episodes so if it gets better I’m in

Yes, just keep going. I was also in the "this is enjoyable but I don't love it" camp around that point, but now I can't wait for the second season.

When Picard debuted I thought they did a really good job of showing restraint with the cameos. I remember some people wanted the entire TNG crew to come back and basically just be a continuation of that series. But I think it turned out very well because it made the season long arc for Data feel more special, it's the reason Nepenthe and the great work from Johnathan and Marina turned out to be probably the best episode of the season, and now they still have many unique cameos for s2 or s3.

I say that to say I feel pretty much the exact opposite about Lower Decks. The cameos in Lower Decks(I will refrain from saying who since many of you haven't watched it yet) convinced me that I think the show would do well with a legacy character showing up on almost every episode.

Because the parts can be small and fun, there is no need for a guest spot to dominate the episode like it would for Picard or other live action shows. And because Lower Decks is the only show still taking place squarely in the TNG/DS9/Voy era there are dozens of actors to choose from. Neelix, Quark, and the Doctor would be great. A comical scene with Tom and Harry or Julian and Miles would be great. A shame that we could no longer get a Weyoun and Odo scene :(There's a lot of potential there without having to dedicate a whole episode to those actors.

1 hour ago, Chairslinger said:

A shame that we could no longer get a Weyoun and Odo scene :(

But...Jeffrey Combs is still alive and well?

Anyhow, Lower Decks initially looked like it was going to be nothing but lightning speed member berries, but then they really showed that they just get it on Trek. Whereas PIC looked like was going to be avoiding member berries but then went full retard on not even really grokking the member berries it was dredging up.