Resident Evil VIIIage - Information Thread, update: "Winters' Expansion" TGS trailer

SaysWho?

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Ending spoilers...

Reveal hidden contents

I thought that was hilarious.

Spoiler

Although I don't see it mentioned in literally ANY "Resident Evil Village ending explained" article, which I like to look up after each game I beat. They mention everything except the super obvious lingering shot of a man approaching the vehicle Rose got in. It stays on it FOREVER.

14 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Ethan has to be the worse MC in RE games.  

Give me Leon.

Leon's great and all, but after beating this, I think I like Ethan more. I honestly get kind of tired of Leon's sass after a while. Ethan can be just as cheesy but isn't having dumb back-and-forths with villains quite as often. Guess it comes down to how much you like those interactions. Maybe beating RE4 so many times made me start to hate some of those lines.

I also like that Ethan is more responsive to the crazy shit happening around him. He can be both terrified and nonchalant, depending on the situation. Like after facing this new enemy type late in the game, a pretty damn intimidating one, I took it down with a magnum and he's just casually like "Nothing surprises me anymore." And I thought that was hilarious.

Holy shit I think there's a parry system. Playing on Village of Shadows and I keep dying to the second enemy, so toying around with the knife I noticed if I hit an enemy as they're about to hit me it causes them to stagger significantly. Same with the pistol. If I can get this timing down I think I can manage...

Yup, figured out the timing and beat that one without even being touched! It's cool how tight it is, hard enough that you can't just spam stun enemies like RE4, but not so hard that it's impossible to ever hit it. Definitely not looking forward to the big fuckfest coming up...

13 hours ago, stepee said:

Ok fine yeah I guess this game looks pretty damn next genny now. Yeah it really has great texture and asset variety and the lighting may not be Exodus enhanced good but still just some of the best there is. And yeah, just great art, really gorgeous looking, oh and great mocap.

I realized what gets me with the crops is how they have like 5 frames of animation and there is no effect around them or anything they look so damn cheap it’s distracting especially when the lighting is so good it’s like uncanny valley. 

Just got to the castle now but this is definitely much better than the demos made me think. Terrible demos. Yeah, now I see this is a big dumb non open world cinematic action game with set pieces and I’m totally here for it rn.

Yea, like I mentioned before everything looks amazing except the wheat fields (sprites). You warned me from the demo you played but it's odd that they made everything else look amazing and went lazy with that aspect. 

I just went home sick from work so I'm about to fire this up now. Like I said, the game slowed down a bit once I hit the castle so I hope it picks up today. From what everyone is saying in the thread it stays pretty consistent throughout so I'm not too worried. 

I'm glad you gave the game a shot after the stupid demos. I'm playing on my one x and favored higher resolution with 30fps and it hasn't bothered me at all. It looks extremely crisp on my TV and offers some of the best visuals to date. 

Well it has picked up that's for sure! It's creepy as hell and the flow of the game is very good. I decided to play on normal and as I was warned, it's pretty easy. But I prefer it that way and I'm enjoying myself without stressing out about dying. 

Spoiler

Once you upgrade even the pistol, the enemies go down pretty easy. 

Also, yes, this game is a mix of RE4 and RE7 which is great. Ok, back to playing.

In reference to cakewalking, i just played through SOMA, Little Nightmares, and A Plague Tale. Tired of running and hiding. I was actually glad Village let me blast the fuck out of everything that moved.

Spoiler

Also, i didn't notice the ending, was that a hardcore mode ending i wonder? All i saw was Rose get into the car.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I saw someone playing on normal and it looked like a cakewalk.

I'd rather it be a cakewalk. As I mentioned before, as I age my gaming skills have gone down the toilet. I'd rather not worry about dying and just enjoy the combat, story, characters, and atmosphere. I'm having fun knowing I can take down the enemy and enjoy the overall experience. 

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm playing on Normal and it's fine. I don't play games for a big challenge and to be frustrated. I like having fun and the story/atmosphere.

Yup, though I’m playing on easy! I might have to give normal a go then if it’s so easy though.

13 minutes ago, stepee said:

I guess as long as you can dial it back at any time, honestly my biggest issue with games are hard bosses, I simply don’t like them.

Normal is very easy. But if you're already on easy I say just stick with that. I'm with you, I dislike hard bosses. I haven't encountered anything like that so far, though. 

Also, @Biggie you would be scurred playing this game lol. Especially if you played at night. :s

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I'd rather it be a cakewalk. As I mentioned before, as I age my gaming skills have gone down the toilet. I'd rather not worry about dying and just enjoy the combat, story, characters, and atmosphere. I'm having fun knowing I can take down the enemy and enjoy the overall experience. 

Same. I’m not in college anymore. I don’t have the time to get good at every game. Sometimes I just wanna play through and have fun enjoying the story/world/combat. I still enjoy a Souls type game now and then but I don’t have the time to set EVERY game I play to its hardest difficulty. 

Are we getting old or do games just have enough content now that you don’t need difficulty to artificially pad the game time to justify the purchase and most people just want to move forward rather than stick with the same thing over and over? Honestly I think more people our age still prefer a high challenge than younger people.

I like replaying RE games and would expect to replay this on Hardcore. For now, normal it is.

I was also a bit surprised at Lady Demitriscu. Castle spoiler within first four(?) hours:

Spoiler

She's pissed at me right now, and she's following me. I went back into the castle to buy some stuff from the Duke, and then I went to check upstairs and she comes from another room. So I try running away and make it back to the courtyard, thinking I'm at least safe from her, but she waltzed right out and kept trying to kill me.

I thought she and her daughters were all vampires, pale and tragic, and couldn't be outside or by an open window, but I guess I'm mistaken about her.

19 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I like replaying RE games and would expect to replay this on Hardcore. For now, normal it is.

I was also a bit surprised at Lady Demitriscu. Castle spoiler within first four(?) hours:

Hide contents

She's pissed at me right now, and she's following me. I went back into the castle to buy some stuff from the Duke, and then I went to check upstairs and she comes from another room. So I try running away and make it back to the courtyard, thinking I'm at least safe from her, but she waltzed right out and kept trying to kill me.

I thought she and her daughters were all vampires, pale and tragic, and couldn't be outside or by an open window, but I guess I'm mistaken about her.

I need to ask you something:

Spoiler

She's following me around too but I have no idea where to go next? I have 2 statue faces completed and have been everywhere in the castle except where the iron insignia key doors are. Do you know what to do?

Because RE games are so replayable, I usually play on normal first and then replay on higher difficulties once I've learned the game.  RE2 remake practically requires that you have a working knowledge of the Police Station on Hardcore difficulty. 

There's also a difference I think between games that are "fun hard" vs. "bad hard".  The list of games that I've played that fall into the former is short.  Most of the time, difficulty isn't thought through and just results in frustration in my experience.  A good example of poorly tuned difficulty is Bioshock - I tried to replay that recently on hard mode and the game's combat is not dynamic enough to account for the difference in damage that the enemies do, so you just end up dying way more rather than being meaningfully challenged.

On 5/7/2021 at 11:06 AM, XxEvil AshxX said:

Hide contents

Ethan is pretty much the Bruce Campbell of the RE universe. In the first four hours he's been stabbed, dismembered, chewed on, impaled, thrown, etc. Yet he just gets right back up again and is like, "eh whatevs. Oh, my hand got chopped off, i'll just glue it back on." There's definitely something going on there.

lol I just got to this part a bit ago and okay they are just making a joke of it now with the

gluing the hand back together thing

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

She and her daughters have a different vibe. It's explained later in a file or two.

Holy shit! :o

Spoiler

Lady Dimitrescu final form and fight! Then back to the village which made me happy. 

6 hours in and this game is fucking fantastic! I played basically all day so the timer seems off imo. Feel more like 8-10 hours played. So far, this is my favorite RE game yet if it continues at this pace. 

The timer stops for menus and cutscenes. It also obviously doesn't count time spent if you have to retry something. Seems to only count actual playing-the-game time. 

Also the game isn't balls to the walls hard on hardcore, if that's what you're thinking. That's the higher tier difficulty. THAT one requires knowledge about the game to make progress. I feel bad for anyone who bought that pack that unlocks it from the start and tried a first playthrough on it. 

And yeah, I think hardcore gets a very slightly different ending with much bigger implications. 

Also what's this about the wheat field? I didn't think it looked amazing or anything but it hardly struck me as unusually bad.

Loving this game even more on a second playthrough. Just so good. Hope Capcom can keep this momentum up in future titles. The fact that a Resident Evil title is actually paced well and doesn't lose steam is amazing to me. Even Resident Evil 2 and 4, the absolute fan favorites, had sections that just kind of sucked or paled in comparison to the rest of the game. 

6 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

The timer stops for menus and cutscenes. It also obviously doesn't count time spent if you have to retry something. Seems to only count actual playing-the-game time. 

Also the game isn't balls to the walls hard on hardcore, if that's what you're thinking. That's the higher tier difficulty. THAT one requires knowledge about the game to make progress. I feel bad for anyone who bought that pack that unlocks it from the start and tried a first playthrough on it. 

And yeah, I think hardcore gets a very slightly different ending with much bigger implications. 

Also what's this about the wheat field? I didn't think it looked amazing or anything but it hardly struck me as unusually bad.

Loving this game even more on a second playthrough. Just so good. Hope Capcom can keep this momentum up in future titles. The fact that a Resident Evil title is actually paced well and doesn't lose steam is amazing to me. Even Resident Evil 2 and 4, the absolute fan favorites, had sections that just kind of sucked or paled in comparison to the rest of the game. 

The wheat fields and even tree limbs are sprites. It looks silly compared to the rest of the game and stands out. I mean I'm not crying over it but I haven't seen a game do that before.

You're also correct about the amazing pacing this game has.