Thousands ordered to evacuate in Midland County, MI after two separate dams fail

"In the next 12 to 15 hours, downtown Midland could be under approximately nine feet of water," Whitmer said in a news conference.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/19/us/michigan-dam-collapse/index.html

We've gotten a bunch of the same rains in IL. We just set the record for wettest May today, with a third of the month left to go. The two previous Mays that it passed to set the record were... 2018 and 2019. Climate change is real.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Apparently there are 1,688 high-hazard dams in the US as of last year. What would be amazing is a moonshot project to repair and replace all the infrastructure built from the 1900s to the 1960s that seem to dominate the American countryside. I don't have high hopes for that.

Aww, look at the Canadian thinking that other countries also have competent governments and a populous that doesn't require warnings to not inject bleach. :daydream:

:p :hug:

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nokra said:

Aww, look at the Canadian thinking that other countries also have competent governments and a populous that doesn't require warnings to not inject bleach. :daydream:

:p :hug:

I said I don't have high hopes! :p

Back in 2009-2011 the Canadian government (a Conservative one at that!) used stimulus spending to do huge amounts of working to aging infrastructure, it was called the Canada Action Plan. It was quite popular. I know that replacing bridges and dams isn't sexy, but if you put up giant signs then people might at least appreciate it.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

People are already talking about rebuilding the town somewhere else once this is over, so I can only assume that the population is white.

Gotta love the euphemistic language in that one.

"Commingling with on-site containtment ponds."

Are we talking about poisonous chemicals contaminating huge amounts of flood waters, or boys sneaking over to the girl's side of the lake at night at Summer camp?

12 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It shouldn't be in private hands but yeah anyway I agree

My understanding is that the private company generates electricity using the dam and then charges others for it. So if the dam needs repairs then the owner should charge more for the power and use the money to make repairs.