Pier 1 Imports to close all its stores permanently

Bankrupt Pier 1 could not find a buyer during the coronavirus pandemic. Now it's asking the bankruptcy court to approve a complete liquidation of the chain.

The chain, which started with a single store in 1962, was already on track to halve its store count. It's been struggling to compete against a rising tide of home-decor offerings, often at cheaper prices, by competitors like Target, Walmart, Amazon, Wayfair, and T.J. Maxx.

The coronavirus pandemic has devastated "non-essential" retail stores and cut sales at furniture and home furnishings stores by more than half.

"Our first customers were post-World War II baby boomers looking for beanbag chairs, love beads and incense," Pier 1's online history says. "Pier 1 has carried a wide selection of merchandise through the years, from chocolate-covered ants to clothing lines to life-size Spanish suits of armor."

I feel as if I've passed so many of these while driving and honestly didn't even know what the chain was.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Pier 1 wasn't going to find a buyer anyway, COVID-19 or not.

Is Pier 1 seriously just overpriced furnishings? I'm not sure where Container Store falls on the price scale but their closet systems are legit for example, I have a closet system from them that stood up to get assembled/reassembled in three different apartments, and I still have the pieces but haven't bothered putting them up because I don't need the storage boost.

19 minutes ago, Jason said:

Is Pier 1 seriously just overpriced furnishings? I'm not sure where Container Store falls on the price scale but their closet systems are legit for example, I have a closet system from them that stood up to get assembled/reassembled in three different apartments, and I still have the pieces but haven't bothered putting them up because I don't need the storage boost.

Overpriced shit that you can find at the other aforementioned businesses and thrift stores.

Or Amazon.

53 minutes ago, Jason said:

I walked into a Pier 1 exactly one time because it was right there and I needed to replace some sort of household item. It looked like a Karen rummage sale but priced at three times what I've seen the same shit cost even at Bed Bath & Beyond.

The one near my work's office closed last year already.

42 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Unlike the products at The Esul which have practical purposes and will better your life.

Check it out now fellas, there's a sale going on so you better act fast!

Your missing an x there buddy </3

Edit: But thanks for the free advertising <3

11 hours ago, Dodger said:

After hearing this I told the gf to check to see if they had any going out of business sales that might make it worth it, nope even at 40% it's all way overpriced.

Someone doesn't know how going out of business sales work.

11 hours ago, Jason said:

Someone doesn't know how going out of business sales work.

Meh, I've never actually been to a Pier 1 Imports in my life, and by this time next week I'll have completely forgotten about them, so after seeing this thread just wanted to see if they had any decent sales going on. 

25 minutes ago, Jose said:

I think Jason means to wait more for when they reduce the prices even more? But by then all the good shit is gone.

When a company goes out of business it's a liquidator who bought all the merchandise doing the going out of business sale, not the company. They come in, jack up the sticker prices, and then do 40% or whatever off of that.