What is your favorite video game ability of all time?

Chris-

I don't know about favorite but some really cool ones off the top of my head I've played recently:

-Sekiro's drop and ledge hang assassinations. From is really good at these 'simple but never gets old' moves and these are so good. Messing around with these on the Ashina Castle rooftops especially was really cool.

-Metroid Prime's morph ball. This was always a great ability throughout the series but I'm replaying MP right now and they implemented this so damn well. Unbelievably good game packed with cool abilities in general.

-Hotline Miami's weapon tosses. Running out of ammo when whiffing a shot and subsequently knocking an enemy out from across the map by nailing them in the face with the empty gun is amazing.

-MGSV's fulton. I mean this game is packed with cool and fun abilities but the fulton thing is so ridiculously addictive. The fact you can escalate it to that absurd wormhole fulton is great. 'Kidnapping' a whole tank squad is the best.

-Nioh's stance switching and Ki pulse. This shit was a great idea and trying to master it gets addictive quick.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Snapfire's Aghs upgrade

(Only @Moa and @osxmatt will get this)

I'm assuming for yeeting your teammates into the fountain primarily.

5 hours ago, Bacon said:

Vanish because fuck you

Honestly, this might be it. I can't think of another ability that brought me more filthy disgusting joy.

• Haha 1

Probably not a popular one around here, but Age of Conan's Spellweaving:

You root yourself in place and start a ritual with pillars and shit coming out of the ground, and you slowly start taking more and more damage, but your spells become insanely powerful, plus you get access to new ones as it enters new phases, and in a game that I played in FFA PvP, having my team defend me while I went into spellweaving and brought down the wrath of god upon fools was a delight. Trying to balance healing myself or knowing when to quit using it was great. By itself is constantly presented choices for me to make, compounded in a team PvP environment it was just always fucking awesome.

1.) Wall running. Not sure what game pioneered it, but it was one of my most favorite things to do in Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time.

2.) Parry. I don’t care what fighting game we’re talking about, but any game that allows you to simply just...NOT take damage from your opponent and then punish immediately after? SO SATISFYING.

3.) Shell-surfing. Pretty sure you could only do this in Super Mario 64...it was such a dumb, do-nothing feature (that oddly Nintendo did not capitalize on by requiring it for an objective for anything) but I loved being able to knock a Koopa Troopa out of its shell and then take said shell out for a joy ride. 

11 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

1.) Wall running. Not sure what game pioneered it, but it was one of my most favorite things to do in Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time.

I think PoP was one of the first, if not the first, to implement it. At least from what I remember. Ninja Gaiden came shortly after and made it better.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2020 at 4:48 AM, Nokt said:

Halo 2's button combos. Allowed you to pull off some truly unique clips

Halo 2 just came out on PC yesterday and I'm now relearning the combos. I think I can already doubleshot more reliably than I ever could back in the day. I'm shocked that no games have really tried to replicate the button combos as a deliberate design.

13 hours ago, Moa said:

Halo 2 just came out on PC yesterday and I'm now relearning the combos. I think I can already doubleshot more reliably than I ever could back in the day. I'm shocked that no games have really tried to replicate the button combos as a deliberate design.

I asked (I think) Max Hoberman after a pax panel if they ever thought about implementing button combos into future titles. I was told it wasn't ever on the table because they wanted the games to be as accessible as possible. Which is disappointing, but understandable.

15 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

For an outlier I remember being able to fly in Prototype being pretty wonderful 

I just finished Gravity Rush and have seen Prototype recommended as a "like" game. Would you recommend it?