Tracking the ‘Murder Hornet’: A Deadly Pest Has Reached North America

49 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Please tell me these things only live in warmer climates....

Doesn't seem like it since the article is talking about finding them in Washington State and British Columbia...

53 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I don't think so.

Have you ever seen the video of 30 of them attacking a beehive and murdering 30,000 bees in a few hours? It's basically a fucking horror movie. They decapitate them with their mandibles and then carry off the bees babies to feast upon.

I haven't seen this video in years and I thought of it immediately when I saw this story because...well...it makes quite the impression...

I think I've seen that video before... it's is fascinating and terrifying. Those Hornets were outnumbered 1,000 to 1 :shock:

4 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

You sounds like one of those assholes who says shit like "only good snake is a dead snake." I play with snakes, btw.

That said, these fuckers need to die. I already hate regular wasps.

4 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:
They aren't wasps. They're actually hornets :^)

1 minute ago, marioandsonic said:

Yes, I know. I can read. :p

For all intents and purposes, hornets are the same as wasps, just a lot bigger. And often more aggressive. So if I already hate wasps, then naturally, I hate hornets. I also am terrified of spiders, but I leave them alone, so long as they're out of my way. I'll pick up snakes all day long, I get super excited when I find one. But put a spider on me or have wasps buzzing nearby and I freak.

40 minutes ago, Dodger said:

The problem with snakes is that some will fucking kill you and most people like me don’t know which are which so we just hate them all.

Like, literally half a dozen people in the US die from snakebite each year. And most snakebites are from idiots trying to kill the snake. If you’re smart and leave them alone, you’ll be fine. 

And the few species of venomous snakes in the US are easy to identify with a bit of research. 

But people are fucking stupid. 

11 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Like, literally half a dozen people in the US die from snakebite each year. And most snakebites are from idiots trying to kill the snake. If you’re smart and leave them alone, you’ll be fine. 

And the few species of venomous snakes in the US are easy to identify with a bit of research. 

But people are fucking stupid. 

I mean, I get it, but if I was on vacation in Arizona and I tripped and came face-to-face with one, I wouldn't know what it was and to be safe, would assume it could kill me.

By the same token, I know from living where I do that black bears are not that scary, especially if you're in a remote area. But I wouldn't begrudge a tourist from being terrified if they saw one, considering they are still a bear.

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I mean, I get it, but if I was on vacation in Arizona and I tripped and came face-to-face with one, I wouldn't know what it was and would assume it could kill me, to be safe.

Then I guess in that unlikely scenario, you’d get bitten. It doesn’t really matter. 

Education and caution go a looooong way. 

1 minute ago, johnny said:

I figured if I ever came across a snake on my property I would post a pic of it to r/snakes so they can identify it for me lol 

I’m sure there’s a snake ID group for your state on FB. It’s one of the few reasons I keep FB. I’ve learned a ton from them. It’s helped me educate others from needlessly killing snakes, too. :) 

19 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I heard we do get rattlesnakes here. If I saw a snake around my house I’d just call animal control to get rid of it. I’m definitely not going to try and play with it and grab it though.

Arizona most definitely has plenty of rattlesnakes, lol. A lot of different species.  And they’re the easiest to identify. 

Imagine living in Australia where there are tons of venomous snakes, and some of them their teeth are so small you wouldn't even really tell you've been bitten, it would just look like a small scratch, but that's because they don't go for the blood stream, they go for the nerves, and the toxin kills you through your nervous system! The snakes however are "blind", and if one was on you, it would just think you're a very warm tree, so you'd just have to stay still until it's moved on. 

I'm actually really fond of snakes and spiders. Grew up studying them for fun as a kid. Read so many books about them. :blush:

5 hours ago, Dodger said:

The problem with snakes is that some will fucking kill you and most people like me don’t know which are which so we just hate them all.

You know what will make your day? Apparently rattle snakes are evolving to not have tails that rattle. So you wouldn’t know if one is near by unless you saw it. 

3 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

You know what will make your day? Apparently rattle snakes are evolving to not have tails that rattle. So you wouldn’t know if one is near by unless you saw it. 

WTF? What's the point of that? The whole evolutionary point of the rattle is so that it can give a warning to potential predators to back the fuck away from it. 

3 minutes ago, Brick said:

WTF? What's the point of that? The whole evolutionary point of the rattle is so that it can give a warning to potential predators to back the fuck away from it. 

The prevailing theory due to study is that those snake that don’t rattle also give their position away. Making it hard to be hunted and less likely their prey will notice they are there. 

it was thought to be a birth defect, but there’s been signs the silent rattle snakes are surviving and breeding, while the ones that still rattle are getting killed. 

7 hours ago, Brick said:

Imagine living in Australia where there are tons of venomous snakes, and some of them their teeth are so small you wouldn't even really tell you've been bitten, it would just look like a small scratch, but that's because they don't go for the blood stream, they go for the nerves, and the toxin kills you through your nervous system! The snakes however are "blind", and if one was on you, it would just think you're a very warm tree, so you'd just have to stay still until it's moved on. 

I'm actually really fond of snakes and spiders. Grew up studying them for fun as a kid. Read so many books about them. :blush:

Australia also has almost no deaths from snakebites. A couple per year. 

The availability of antivenin has ensured that. 

27 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Australia also has almost no deaths from snakebites. A couple per year. 

The availability of antivenin has ensured that. 

Oh I'm aware. For all the "dangerous" animals that's become something to joke about with Australia, there's very few fatalities per year.