10 Video Games You Didn't Realize Secretly Bombed

skillzdadirecta

18 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

WhatCulture is such a good channel. 

Is it? I just discovered them and I don't know if they're shit or not :p

7 minutes ago, Hurricane Game said:

List please? I can't watch the video at work.

10. The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword

9. Batman: The Telltale Series

8. Control

7. Resident Evil remake

6. Wolfenstein 2: The New Collossus

5. Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

4. Bayonetta

3. Max Payne 2

2. Death Stranding

1. Metroid Samus Returns

• Like 1

The one I might disagree with most is RE:make. He basically makes the argument that because the Gamecube had a low install base, it was a flop. According to this, only 11 games crossed the 2M unit mark on the GCN. If anything, the low install base on the GCN should mean the relatively 1.4M paltry 1.4M units isn't as bad as it might seem. He makes the opposite argument for Samus Returns: that given the huge install base of the platform, it should have done much better, and that very much rings true.

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Is it? I just discovered them and I don't know if they're shit or not :p

10. The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword

9. Batman: The Telltale Series

8. Control

7. Resident Evil remake

6. Wolfenstein 2: The New Collossus

5. Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

4. Bayonetta

3. Max Payne 2

2. Death Stranding

1. Metroid Samus Returns

I'm honestly surprised to see Death Stranding on there.  I haven't followed it much really - I don't have a PS4 - but from all the media push on it when it was released I always assumed it was a pretty big hit.

1 hour ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I don't know if this guy realizes that if a game sold over a million copies in 2002 it was considered a success. 

28 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

The one I might disagree with most is RE:make. He basically makes the argument that because the Gamecube had a low install base, it was a flop. According to this, only 11 games crossed the 2M unit mark on the GCN. If anything, the low install base on the GCN should mean the relatively 1.4M paltry 1.4M units isn't as bad as it might seem. He makes the opposite argument for Samus Returns: that given the huge install base of the platform, it should have done much better, and that very much rings true.

From my understanding, REmake was not a success. That's why it went from GC exclusive to RE4 releasing on the PS2. RE just didn't do well, and I still have never figured out if the RE2/3 remakes that were reported on back then were the result of mistranslations or if they were planning on doing them until REmake underwhelmed.

9 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

From my understanding, REmake was not a success. That's why it went from GC exclusive to RE4 releasing on the PS2. RE just didn't do well, and I still have never figured out if the RE2/3 remakes that were reported on back then were the result of mistranslations or if they were planning on doing them until REmake underwhelmed.

REmake came out four months after the Gamecube launch in the US. It was always going to have a small install base to sell to, and it did numbers just under other well performing 3rd party titles at the time like Super Monkey Ball and Rouge Squadron. I don't think that makes it a bomb.

RE4 on the other hand, launched years into the console cycle. By then it was clear that the Gamecube was never going to have the install base of the PS2, and porting RE4 just made sense.

4 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

REmake came out four months after the Gamecube launch in the US. It was always going to have a small install base to sell to, and it did numbers just under other well performing 3rd party titles at the time like Super Monkey Ball and Rouge Squadron. I don't think that makes it a bomb.

RE4 on the other hand, launched years into the console cycle. By then it was clear that the Gamecube was never going to have the install base of the PS2, and porting RE4 just made sense.

The director himself disagrees with you.

"The Resident Evil remake is actually one of my favorites of the series too," Shinji stated. "But it didn't sell very well. Maybe there weren't many people ready to accept that. Because of the reaction to the Resident Evil remake, I decided to work more action into Resident Evil 4. Resident Evil 4 would have been a more scary, horror-focused game if the remake had sold well.”

"That all came out of the commercial failure of the Resident Evil remake, Shinji added. "And then of course Resident Evil 4 sold really well. I have kind of a lingering trauma there, because the Resident Evil remake didn't sell – much more than people would think.”

It didn't sell well.

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Basically, Resident Evil 4 did not play like classic Resident Evil because of the lackluster sales of the Remake. So he added more action to the fourth installment.

I mean shit, that worked out.

And on another note, while the damage is already done, I think people will start giving Death Stranding the proper chance on its own terms that it actually deserves removed from the absurd drama leading up to its release with some distance.

2 hours ago, number305 said:

I'm honestly surprised to see Death Stranding on there.  I haven't followed it much really - I don't have a PS4 - but from all the media push on it when it was released I always assumed it was a pretty big hit.

Pretty sure it did well in Japan and had great sales in Europe the first week. After that, according to this video, it dropped 75% in second week sales. I don't think it sold that well at all in the U.S. which is what led to Kojima essentially saying that U.S. gamers were too dumb to appreciate it.

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Basically, Resident Evil 4 did not play like classic Resident Evil because of the lackluster sales of the Remake. So he added more action to the fourth installment.

Yeah I remember him saying as much when the game came out. They added more action to RE because gamers had basically moved on from that formula.

2 hours ago, Dre801 said:

Still interested in playing Control one day.

It was my personal GOTY last year. I wish I had my copy with me so I could play the DLC but it's cool. It will give me something to play when I get home. I'd rather play it on my X1X anyway as opposed to the X1S I have with me at my parent's house.

29 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Pretty sure it did well in Japan and had great sales in Europe the first week. After that, according to this video, it dropped 75% in second week sales. I don't think it sold that well at all in the U.S. which is what led to Kojima essentially saying that U.S. gamers were too dumb to appreciate it.

I think he retracted or clarified that statement later, but yeah, seems like a sort of miniature panic-response to it selling like shit, because it was hot fucking garbage.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Did he retract it? I know there was some spin to try and clean it up but he seemed salty at the time.

UPDATE: Sony has since clarified the exact quote from Kojima, which is "...in American there are a lot of FPS fans, maybe those fans are saying this is like a different game and are not rating it very high."

We didn't like it because we're FPS fans and if it's not an FPS we apparently get VERY confused.

Because, you know, Metal Gear Solid was totally an FPS. Really taking into account all the variables and other non-FPS games that score well, Kojima.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

The OG WhatCulture guys are a lot better, but the channel is still good. Check out some of the older videos/lists from Adam Blampied or Adam Pacitti

I actually subscribed to them recently, was enjoying some of their videos, but unsubscribed after I realized they uploaded like 85 videos per day. And most if it was shit I didn't want to watch. Wish there was like a WhatCulture Lite or Best Of channel to sub to.

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

I actually subscribed to them recently, was enjoying some of their videos, but unsubscribed after I realized they uploaded like 85 videos per day. And most if it was shit I didn't want to watch. Wish there was like a WhatCulture Lite or Best Of channel to sub to.

Try TripleJump

It’s a couple of the OG WhatCulture guys