~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

In Ontario 12.5% of the eligible population is unvaxxed, 4.3% is partially vaxxed and 83.2% fully vaxxed.  And this is what our hospitals are like:

I'm pretty much done curtailing my life for that 12.5%.

Personally I am willing to wait until kids get a chance to get vaccinated. It's likely that 50-70% (or maybe even more) of kids will be vaccinated by the end of this year, which is fantastic. By that point, spread should be slowed significantly outside the unvaxxed idiot population, and the amount of unvaxxed idiots catching it and being hospitalized should be low enough to not be a concern for the healthcare system (except maybe in dumb provinces like mine, fully of white hicks).

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Personally I am willing to wait until kids get a chance to get vaccinated. It's likely that 50-70% (or maybe even more) of kids will be vaccinated by the end of this year, which is fantastic. By that point, spread should be slowed significantly outside the unvaxxed idiot population, and the amount of unvaxxed idiots catching it and being hospitalized should be low enough to not be a concern for the healthcare system (except maybe in dumb provinces like mine, fully of white hicks).

I understand that perspective -- where I live, in Peel Region (pop ~1.5 million), there have been 10 total hospitalizations of kids aged 5-9 (0 deaths) during the entire 20 months of this pandemic.  When I look at that data, I'm not sure it makes sense to wait.

106962683-1634660176304-gettyimages-1235
WWW.CNBC.COM

Pfizer's Covid vaccine is 93% effective at protecting against hospitalization in 12- to 18-year-olds, the CDC said in a small study released Tuesday.

Pfizer’s Covid vaccine is 93% effective at protecting against hospitalization in 12- to 18-year-olds, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in a small study released Tuesday.

The CDC followed 464 Covid patients ages 12 to 18 spread across 19 U.S. pediatric hospitals from June through September when the delta variant was surging across the country. While roughly 72% of them had at least one underlying condition that increased their potential for severe symptoms, researchers found that 97% of those who ended up in the hospital weren’t vaccinated.

“These data suggest that increasing vaccination coverage among this group could reduce the incidence of severe COVID-19 in the United States,” CDC researchers wrote in their Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

In-N-Out isn't that good anyhow, they're just relatively high quality for how cheap they are.

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig
WWW.LATIMES.COM

The restaurant posted signs about vaccine requirements, but city officials said employees should demand proof of vaccination from customers, the company said.

An In-N-Out Burger in San Francisco was forced to temporarily close earlier this month after failing to comply with the city’s proof of vaccination requirements.

On Oct. 14, representatives of the city’s Department of Public Health shut down the chain’s location at 333 Jefferson St. in Fisherman’s Wharf, according to a statement by Arnie Wensinger, In-N-Out’s chief legal and business officer.

Public health officials told employees they were being shut down because they weren’t stopping customers who didn’t have proper vaccination documentation from coming inside, Wensinger said.

If customers couldn’t provide the proof and an ID, they were to be turned away, the In-N-Out executive said.

“As a company, In-N-Out Burger strongly believes in the highest form of customer service and to us that means serving all customers who visit us and making all customers feel welcome,” he said. “We refuse to become the vaccination police for any government.”

Wensinger called San Francisco’s mandate unreasonable, invasive and unsafe for employees to “segregate customers” into groups who can and can’t be served.

“We fiercely disagree with any government dictate that forces a private company to discriminate against customers who choose to patronize their business,” he said.

“This is clear governmental overreach and is intrusive, improper, and offensive.

On 10/18/2021 at 2:42 PM, Air_Delivery said:

One thing I noticed is that fast food joints will randomly not be open even though its still business hours.

I'm guessing worker shortage is hitting all shit jobs hard everywhere.

I drive for Uber Eats fairly regularly and I've noticed this as well. Or they're drive thru only. 

In another update, my anti-vax brother in law tested positive for COVID Saturday after having spent the day on Thursday at my parents' place. They're both feeling fine (fully vaccinated) but he described feeling like someone was "taking hammers to all my joints". Don't worry though, he'll be fine... He's treating himself with ivermectin. :silly:

My sister returns from a trip this coming weekend so I suspect she will also be catching it soon. It's all so stupid. :/

3500.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Brazilian president savaged for ‘macabre’ and ‘slovenly’ response to pandemic and ‘deliberate neglect’ of indigenous people

Jair Bolsonaro should be charged with crimes against humanity and jailed for his “macabre” reaction to a Covid outbreak that has killed more than 600,000 Brazilians, including a disproportionate number of indigenous citizens, a congressional inquiry has found.

Two of the most dramatic accusations against the Brazilian president – murder and genocide of the country’s indigenous populations – were removed from a previous draft of the report on Tuesday night after talks between opposition senators serving on the inquiry.

But the final draft suggests the committee will recommend Brazil’s populist president be charged with nine separate offenses including charlatanism, incitement to commit crimes, the propagation of pathogenic germs, and crimes against humanity.

The investigation, which Bolsonaro’s political rivals hope will wreck his chances of re-election, was set up in April and is scheduled to conclude next Tuesday when senators vote on its final report.

That 1,180-page document – which savages the Bolsonaro administration’s anti-scientific and “slovenly” pandemic response – will make profoundly uncomfortable reading for Brazil’s far-right leader and dozens of allies, against whom charges are also recommended.

20211019-novavax-getty-773.jpg
WWW.POLITICO.COM

The U.S. and the world made a huge bet on Novavax, but manufacturing problems are jeopardizing billions of doses earmarked for poor and middle-income countries.

This is really bad news if it is true. They are denying it in a follow up earlier today and say they are on track. The Novavax vaccine is what poorer nations are depending on since it is highly effective and doesn't have temperature requirements like mRNA vaccines. 

211020-novavax-getty-773.jpg
WWW.POLITICO.COM

In wake of report on manufacturing difficulties, the Maryland-based drug firm vowed to file for emergency-use authorization by the end of the year.

1 hour ago, Massdriver said:
20211019-novavax-getty-773.jpg
WWW.POLITICO.COM

The U.S. and the world made a huge bet on Novavax, but manufacturing problems are jeopardizing billions of doses earmarked for poor and middle-income countries.

This is really bad news if it is true. They are denying it in a follow up earlier today and say they are on track. The Novavax vaccine is what poorer nations are depending on since it is highly effective and doesn't have temperature requirements like mRNA vaccines. 

211020-novavax-getty-773.jpg
WWW.POLITICO.COM

In wake of report on manufacturing difficulties, the Maryland-based drug firm vowed to file for emergency-use authorization by the end of the year.

It’s the best vaccine on the market. Sucks that the company is run by absolute fucking morons.

Novavax — which has never produced a vaccine before — declined to answer specific questions about its product’s purity levels and whether it had been successful in addressing its longstanding manufacturing issues.

Unlike Pfizer and Moderna, the first manufacturers to launch vaccines using rapidly produced messenger RNA, Novavax is employing the previously used but complicated approach of creating the key ingredient with bug cells. While the process, which involves infecting the cells to produce spike proteins, is familiar to scientists, it is difficult to scale.

I see.

• Sad 1

From the Yale School of Medicine regarding Novavax:

How well it works: 90% effective against lab-confirmed, symptomatic infection and 100% against moderate and severe disease in Phase 3 trial results released in a company statement in June. The company says the vaccine was 91% protective of people in high-risk populations such as people older than 65, those with health conditions that increase risk of complication, and those in situations where they are frequently exposed to the virus.

How well it works on virus mutations: Novavax says the vaccine is 93% effective against “predominantly circulating variants of concern and variants of interest.” But it’s important to note that the study was conducted in the U.S. and Mexico, when Alpha was the predominant strain in the U.S., although other variants were on the rise. More data is needed to determine the effectiveness of Novavax against the Delta variant.  

Assuming that Delta is or will be the dominant strain in the developing world as well, then Novavax's manufacturing woes could very well either make it irrelevant (due to significantly reduced efficacy against Delta) or be a blessing in disguise (the vaccine could be modified in the interim to make it significantly more effective against Delta).