~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Both my better half and I receive our vaccines this morning, with me having finished more. We’re about to have lunch to celebrate a short workday.

I can’t believe a year ago today we had no idea what was going to happen. It feels so good that instead of promises not being kept, things that are promised or moving ahead of schedule. Yes I know that it’s better to under promise and over deliver, but this seems to be a process with very few hiccups so far.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

I love how people are still going apeshit insisting that the schools HAVE to reopen ASAP. I guess I got it in January but now it's April, what the fuck is the point for like 3 or 4 weeks of school? 

This is very strange to me. Like, take the mulligan on a useless school year and figure out how we get kids caught back up.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Unless there is something I’m missing, no need to reschedule the second dose for the wife. Glad you are feeling more confident about a vacation!

Not so much worried about 21 vs 28 days, but knowing that the side effects tend to be more pronounced  (especially fever/chills potentially) with the second shot, not sure I want to chance both of us feeling like crap and having to take care of two little ones.

Just now, jinx8402 said:

Not so much worried about 21 vs 28 days, but knowing that the side effects tend to be more pronounced  (especially fever/chills potentially) with the second shot, not sure I want to chance both of us feeling like crap and having to take care of two little ones.

That makes sense! 

?m=02&d=20210407&t=2&i=1557595627&r=LYNX
WWW.REUTERS.COM

Europe's drug regulator on Wednesday found a possible link between AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine and rare blood clotting issues in adults who had received the shot and said it had taken into consideration all available evidence.

EyYO_KfW8AAt8tw?format=jpg&name=large

This supports the idea of only providing the AZ vaccine to people where the benefit outweighs the risk, and only then in situations where vaccine supply is limited for other types.

Obviously an AZ dose for someone who is 65 makes a lot of sense since the blood clot risk is so low compared to the risk of dying via COVID-19. But for someone who is under 30, the situation flips. Even for someone in their 30s (where the risk of COVID-19 severe issues are still low), it probably makes sense to take the AZ vaccine if supplies of others are limited, as it's not only protecting you, but the people around you.

The official report from the EMA says that the vaccine is still overall very safe and effective. Honestly, IMO it should still be used for everyone 30+ who doesn't have a history of clotting:

WWW.EMA.EUROPA.EU

AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine: EMA finds possible link to very rare cases of unusual blood clots with low platelets

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

Seems to be rarer in this case, but still very interesting!

I wonder if it's just an issue in general with vaccines for viruses, but we haven't really watched out for it as much in the past since we haven't done a large-scale program of this sort in a very long time?

6 minutes ago, Joe said:

This tweet went out over an hour ago and there are still appointments just sitting there, which leads me to believe that they put out a TON of appointments. Amazing to see given the past few months.

They just opened up a TON of J&J, too! Shit is awesome!

Just got back from taking my mom to get her first shot, and things are disorganized according to my mom. She went in and handed in her confirmation sheet and said she wasn’t registered. They screwed up entering her info by screwing up the last digit and our phone number, and then it was “Oh, I guess you’re here. Wait over there” Mom said the pharmacists didn’t really look for her, and that she flipped her sheet over again  to finally gain someone’s attention. She’s upset that she has to settle for the AZ shot, but happy to have anything. 

• Sad 2

Just now, Joe said:

Are you actually looking? Or just waiting to be called back.

Both. I've heard if you try scheduling an appointment at like 5am you'll have better luck. I generally don't wake up until 11 or so and there are no appointments available anywhere.

7 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Both. I've heard if you try scheduling an appointment at like 5am you'll have better luck. I generally don't wake up until 11 or so and there are no appointments available anywhere.

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

Portland, Oregon Metro Vaccine Hunters has 7,274 members. A group connecting people to current vaccine appointments and legitimate extra doses in the Portland, Oregon Metro Area, including Salem,...

33 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Just got back from taking my mom to get her first shot, and things are disorganized according to my mom. She went in and handed in her confirmation sheet and said she wasn’t registered. They screwed up entering her info by screwing up the last digit and our phone number, and then it was “Oh, I guess you’re here. Wait over there” Mom said the pharmacists didn’t really look for her, and that she flipped her sheet over again  to finally gain someone’s attention. She’s upset that she has to settle for the AZ shot, but happy to have anything. 

That sucks. Which pharmacy was this through? The city (Toronto) run one was crazy organized with multiple checks and even though you're told to bring your confirmation email (has barcode and number), the whole process was handled via them just scanning the barcode on the back my in laws health card. During the whole process you're always moving forward from stage to stage so you never get skipped over or forgotten. 

41 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Thanks, I'll keep checking. Right now the only available appointments are in Salem, which is too far away.

No car? Google Maps says less than an hour each way. Seems worth the drive as long as you have a car.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Send me your Venmo and approximate cost to round trip a Lyft/Uber and I’ll cover you bud

It'd be easier to take a bus. It's a 100 mile round trip, finding drivers to actually do it would take all day. Plus the bus only costs like $5. The issue is finding a day where I have enough time to do it.

1 minute ago, Fizzzzle said:

It'd be easier to take a bus. It's a 100 mile round trip, finding drivers to actually do it would take all day. Plus the bus only costs like $5. The issue is finding a day where I have enough time to do it.

Word. Well, lemme know if I can be of assistance. Gotta get you jabbed!

Akili’s therapeutic video game will be tested as a treatment for Covid ‘brain fog’

Akili, which made history last summer by earning regulatory clearance for the first video-game based therapy, now plans to test if its software can help adults suffering from Covid “brain fog.”

“The technology that we have at Akili is not very specific to one disease area,” Anil Jina, the company’s chief medical officer, told STAT. “It basically improves attention control, which is one of the aspects of cognition, and that is part and parcel of many different disorders.”
He said that while childhood ADHD made sense as an early commercial target, independent investigators have done many small studies on the underlying technology’s efficacy in treating adults for a range of cognitive conditions, including dementia and mild cognitive impairment.

And my parents said Video Games were bad for me 

2 hours ago, chakoo said:

That sucks. Which pharmacy was this through? The city (Toronto) run one was crazy organized with multiple checks and even though you're told to bring your confirmation email (has barcode and number), the whole process was handled via them just scanning the barcode on the back my in laws health card. During the whole process you're always moving forward from stage to stage so you never get skipped over or forgotten. 

She got her notice to register online from Shoppers Drug Mart in an email. She never signed up to receive this, but there it was one day. She actually had an appointment for the 23rd and then they bumped her up to today and canceled the older date for her. Don’t know if they take your PC Express info or are being sent the info via the government. Looks like 2 Shoppers, Walmart and 2 Rexall are so far distributing the shots in store for Burlington. Although, an hour later, she got an email confirming her first shot from Shoppers with a “keep an eye out for a follow up email to book your 2nd shot” Funny thing is that her first scheduled appointment had dates listed for her 1st and 2nd shot. Now she doesn’t know when the 2nd shot is, but probably mid/late July. Since her last one had Aug 3rd listed for the 2nd shot, which would of been 2 weeks from now