~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

37 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I can’t understand giving up a typical friendship because of mere beliefs. Actions are a different thing. People believe all sorts of things that don’t meaningfully impact actions. There is plenty of evidence that people have very limited control over what they believe. I also think that friendships fit into very different tiers.

I don’t think I could be married to a person who had core convictions and principles that greatly diverged from mine, but I can have a buddy I play Xbox with and occasionally see at parties that hold dumb political views. 

The depth of the friendship dictates how much variance I can accept. Thinking about my 36 years of life, I’m pretty sure the only times I’ve ever ended a friendship were due to specific actions of a person that I couldn’t tolerate.

For the record, I view ALL relationships through my "conditional" lens -- acquaintances, friends, family, romantic partners, etc.  All are subject to the same analysis and I draw  little-to-no distinction between "beliefs" and "actions" as the belief has the potential to translate into "meaningful" action and that potential is justification enough for me.

It's all pretty easy when you view practically everyone as a potential threat that might have to be eliminated someday.

For example, when I meet someone new, my first thought is invariably "How difficult would it be for me to kill this person if I had to?"

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

One of the aspects of both Judaism and Islam that I really do appreciate is their rejection of the notion that an individual can have a "personal" relationship with God.

The idea that a mere mortal can enter into such a relationship with an entity that represents the totality of everything in the universe and who was, is, and forever will be is philosophically ludicrous on the face of it.

And don't get me started on the internal laughter that rabbis and imams must have to stifle when someone claims that Christianity is a monotheistic faith in their presence, because it absolutely is not.  Christianity is effectively a Hellenistic religion that "borrowed" a bunch of stuff from the Old Testament to give it some type of foundation.

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

One of the aspects of both Judaism and Islam that I really do appreciate is their rejection of the notion that an individual can have a "personal" relationship with God.

The idea that a mere mortal can enter into such a relationship with an entity that represents the totality of everything in the universe and who was, is, and forever will be is philosophically ludicrous on the face of it.

And don't get me started on the internal laughter that rabbis and imams must have to stifle when someone claims that Christianity is a monotheistic faith in their presence, because it absolutely is not.  Christianity is effectively a Hellenistic religion that "borrowed" a bunch of stuff from the Old Testament to give it some type of foundation.

I mean I know Catholicism is a Mary cult and I'm assuming the Orthodox church is similar but Protestants...???

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

"Marian Devotion" is the charge that some Protestants level against Catholics to claim that Catholics aren't "real" Christians.

You don't need to be a Protestant for it to be obvious Catholics worship Mary.

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

"Marian Devotion" is the charge that some Protestants level against Catholics to claim that Catholics aren't "real" Christians.

N00b Jason doesn’t even know about our Saint obsession.

I did this with my mom many times as a kid lmao.

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Even without the Marian aspect, claims that Christianity of any variety is purely monotheistic should be met with eye-rolls.

It's a Hellenistic mystery cult that lifted heavily from Judaism.  End of story.

It’s Jewish fan fiction that got way out of hand

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Good Lord @ that phrasing.

There are a number of ways to express the notion that Omicron's overall risk profile represents a "positive" development relative to the previous variants without echoing the anchor's use of the word "encouraging".

Yea she did a shit at the talking points but I doubt she meant it the way other folks are taking it.

• True 1

Our friend's household is infected. They had a contractor in last week for their bathroom and apparently he was coughing the entire time. Our friend's mom (I'll call her the grandma) lives with them (helps take care of their toddler during the day), and thought the cough was "because it was cold out."

Now the grandma has a really bad cough and fever (she's triple vaccinated, fortunately), and the toddler has a fever of 102.7 and a cough. Both the as t positive on rapid tests. Our friend and her husband are so far asymptomatic and testing negative (but assume they have it). 

• Sad 5

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

American Protestantism is nuts. Hearing a worship song that goes "I love you Daddy" just gave me the creeps.

6 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

nd don't get me started on the internal laughter that rabbis and imams must have to stifle when someone claims that Christianity is a monotheistic faith in their presence, because it absolutely is not

I've been asking Christians to explain this to me my whole life. I've never understood the whole trinity... I get The Father and The Son. But who the hell is The Holy Ghost?! I've asked that my whole life and no one has never asnswered it for me.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I've been asking Christians to explain this to me my whole life. I've never understood the whole trinity... I get The Father and The Son. But who the hell is The Holy Ghost?! I've asked that my whole life and no one has never asnswered it for me.

The Holy Ghost is who horny teenagers are supposed to leave room for at school sanctioned dances, duh

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

3 separate but equal parts of a whole entity. My brother law describes it like a crime a syndicate.

God is 1 part and he is the brains of the operation .

Jesus is 1 part and he the messenger for the operation.

The Holy Spirit is 1 part and is the muscle. 

If person prays to God for help because they are in need of spiritual help, and God answers , the help comes in the form of the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit also fights Sin and the Antichrist