~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 hour ago, marioandsonic said:

Well, I can't really go for a run.  I'm too overweight for that, so I'd probably fuck up my knees.  I can go for daily walks and eat less, at least.  And no, I don't have any equipment at home, and trying to buy any would cost me an arm and a leg.

Aim to get in 10 thousand steps a day. Your cell phone should have a pedometer in it to help you keep track. 

Well, I can't really go for a run.  I'm too overweight for that, so I'd probably fuck up my knees.  I can go for daily walks and eat less, at least.  And no, I don't have any equipment at home, and trying to buy any would cost me an arm and a leg.

The way I lost weight was through tracking calories.  I make terrible decisions on what to eat when I am hungry, so I forced myself to make good ones.

1)  Not keeping any junk food in the house

2)  Making my meals in advance, and eating to my plan

3)  Tracking my calories for everything I ate.  

4)  Eliminating the calories "I didn't value".  I was consuming lots of calories in things that I didn't love.  [For instance, when I do have junk food, I don't have sugary food, only salty/fatty food.]

5)  Friday was my cheat day (where I could eat ~2,800 calories.  Every other day was 2,000)  

Exercise is important for overall health, but it's hard to exercise weight off unless you are doing a LOT of exercise.

Get a good set of resistance bands. When i was stuck in my parent's basement during the lock down I only had two pieces of equipment. A mat and some resitance bands and they are pretty cheap. Like everyone else has said, watch what you eat (try to limit yourself to no more than 2,000 calories a day. I was doing 1,700.) Don't eat after 7. Try to limit if not elminate processed foods and WALK, WALK, WALK. Get in between 6,000-10,000 steps a day and you'll be surprised at how quickly the weight comes off. 

Calories in/calories out remains the issue of weight gain and loss, and increasing calories out requires substantially more effort and discipline than decreasing calories in.

I eat the stupidest diet of whatever tickles my fancy, I just stopped eating as much and went from 255 to 195 over 6 or 7 months. Like when I get a fast food burger/fry, I get the small size of both. Just that change takes a meal from 1400 calories to 700 at most places. At home just get one ladle of dinner instead of two. Don’t get caught up in actual calorie counting, it’s a bunch of extra work that creates easy failure points that become discouraging.

Once you’ve retrained your brain not to be as hungry, it’s easier to think about the next goal, which could be improving the quality of your diet or some physical fitness goals. But start with the basic idea of just eating smaller portions of the stuff you already eat and you’ll see steady and positive changes over time.

Oh, and don’t bother weighing yourself early on. Bad weigh-ins are another way people often become discouraged. Just make the changes and in a month or you’ll begin to see the effects in things like your clothes fitting more loosely.

ford_15.jpg?IMJMpTnnNmR7tRS6N49C5bGmtRMp
WWW.TVO.ORG

OPINION: We’ve just been told, for the fourth time, that kids have to stay home. We haven’t been told what that will accomplish — or what it’ll take to get them back in class.

This is, in fact, the fourth time Ontario has shut down schools in a sweeping, across-the-board fashion. The first three were difficult but understandable decisions. When COVID-19 arrived, we were completely unprepared and had no real working knowledge of the virus. A widespread societal lockdown was the brutal price we paid to shore up our hospitals, learn about the threat, and reinforce societal weak points where we could. (We didn’t do a great job at this, as the catastrophe in our long-term-care homes showed, but that at least is what the lockdown was intended to do.) The second and third school shutdowns also made sense as time-buying measures. We either did not have vaccines then or did not have them in the necessary quantity. We had to buy yet more time, and closing schools was part of how we did that. At least for the second and third closures, we had a reasonable sense of how much time would be required to finish the bulk of the vaccination campaign.

But we have done that now. The overwhelming majority of Ontarians 12 and over — 88 per cent! — have at least two doses. Four million now have three doses. Vaccinations for those aged five to 11 are well underway; roughly 45 per cent have received a first dose. If school closures are a time-buying measure, what are we buying time to do, exactly? And given the incredible speed of Omicron’s spread, is there any realistic chance that we will be able to put the time to meaningful use before the virus swamps us anyway?

I spent too much of my holidays talking with infectious-disease experts and epidemiologists about this exact question. It was a difficult spot to put them in, because most of them are very conscious of their role in maintaining public morale and confidence. But very few experts out there are suggesting that any conceivable public-health intervention we could contemplate would do much more than slow Omicron’s spread — and not by all that much. 

No one is telling me what it will specifically accomplish. No one is telling me, specifically, why it is necessary or what the trade-off would be: What we would not be able to do on the public-health front without closing schools? No one in the Ford government is telling me, or anyone else in this province, what this sacrifice we are imposing on 2 million students will gain us in time, resources, or lives saved. No one is telling us what the metric for reopening the schools will be or what must be accomplished during the closure to make reopening feasible.

How can we possibly do a cost-benefit analysis of this, one of the most dreadful steps, second only to yet again deferring tens of thousands of medical tests and procedures, if the government taking that step won’t quantify its benefits? We know the costs, and we’re paying them. What will we get back? No one knows. Or at least no one in authority has bothered to say. 

Instead, we’ve just been told, for the fourth time, that the kids have to stay home, and the premier and the health minister and the chief medical officer, during their Monday press conference, were all palpably uncomfortable every time they were asked when the schools might reopen again. The education minister wasn’t there at all.

This time, every public-health expert seems to agree that Omicron is going to sweep the province and that whatever is going to happen in the health-care system is essentially baked in. When we ask the government what we are accomplishing with school closures, we don’t get specific answers. When we ask when the schools will be safe to reopen — or even just what would be necessary to enable a safe reopening — we don’t get specific answers. When we ask whether closing the schools will avoid or meaningfully mitigate a health-care crush, we don’t get specific answers. 

This latest closure has left me with the unpleasant suspicion that the government has concluded that it cannot stop what’s coming and is trying to figure out how it can position itself so that it can claim, when this is all over, that it did everything it possibly could have.

Or, more bluntly, as I said at the top, this looks like the provincial government trying to save itself by mandating, yet again, that millions of children take another one for the team, for however long it takes for the government to feel as if it’s given itself enough cover to run with come election time. 

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The way I lost weight was through tracking calories.  I make terrible decisions on what to eat when I am hungry, so I forced myself to make good ones.

1)  Not keeping any junk food in the house

2)  Making my meals in advance, and eating to my plan

3)  Tracking my calories for everything I ate.  

4)  Eliminating the calories "I didn't value".  I was consuming lots of calories in things that I didn't love.  [For instance, when I do have junk food, I don't have sugary food, only salty/fatty food.]

5)  Friday was my cheat day (where I could eat ~2,800 calories.  Every other day was 2,000)  

Exercise is important for overall health, but it's hard to exercise weight off unless you are doing a LOT of exercise.

I did exactly this and managed to drop a lot of weight off, the only difference was my calorie count was higher but I lift 3-4 times a week.

22 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:
ford_15.jpg?IMJMpTnnNmR7tRS6N49C5bGmtRMp
WWW.TVO.ORG

OPINION: We’ve just been told, for the fourth time, that kids have to stay home. We haven’t been told what that will accomplish — or what it’ll take to get them back in class.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but my city's school district is on the verge of collapse from too many teachers being out with COVID and not enough substitute teachers available. Chunks of parents don't want their kids remote, but we also can't send them to empty classrooms. Schools here have started using unlicensed paras as substitutes, but there aren't enough of those either. The result is rolling closures. We've already had a few schools just not come back from the holiday break because there just aren't any healthy, CORI-passing, adults available to put in front of classrooms. Nobody is coming out of retirement. Laxed licensing standards aren't enough to fill the roles. The district also doesn't have enough money to just greatly increase teachers salaries and they don't have any control of any of that. First year teachers here in my local city make less than $50k/yr. That's pretty cool in a city where a studio apartment comes in around $1200/mo.

Anybody arguing against school closures needs to come up with a better solution if allowing for remote learning is off the table.

20 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

I did exactly this and managed to drop a lot of weight off, the only difference was my calorie count was higher but I lift 3-4 times a week.

Lost 50-60 pounds by tracking calories and trying to keep my macros around 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat. 

16 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but my city's school district is on the verge of collapse from too many teachers being out with COVID and not enough substitute teachers available. Chunks of parents don't want their kids remote, but we also can't send them to empty classrooms. Schools here have started using unlicensed paras as substitutes, but there aren't enough of those either. The result is rolling closures. We've already had a few schools just not come back from the holiday break because there just aren't any healthy, CORI-passing, adults available to put in front of classrooms. Nobody is coming out of retirement. Laxed licensing standards aren't enough to fill the roles. The district also doesn't have enough money to just greatly increase teachers salaries and they don't have any control of any of that. First year teachers here in my local city make less than $50k/yr. That's pretty cool in a city where a studio apartment comes in around $1200/mo.

Anybody arguing against school closures needs to come up with a better solution if allowing for remote learning is off the table.

We have 30-40% of our students in full-time remote learning.

The closures are affecting the students who opted for in-class -- the other 60-70%.

12 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

We have 30-40% of our students in full-time remote learning.

The closures are affecting the students who opted for in-class -- the other 60-70%.

The same still applies when that many kids are in school. I just get a bit irked when anyone gets upset with schools closing when nobody is wracking their heads trying to figure out why restaurants or any other open to the public businesses are closing or operating on reduced hours. Teachers aren't magically immune and we can't force people to work while sick. If anyone thinks sitting in their cube while being sick sucks, imagine standing in front of a classroom of special needs kids for 6-8 hours. I mention those because that's what my wife does and she's one of those that can't really go remote because of it...if it were an option. Our governor already ruled that out back in August. Schools here can't even offer it as an option to parents.

6 hours ago, Brick said:

Aim to get in 10 thousand steps a day. Your cell phone should have a pedometer in it to help you keep track. 

10,000?  I usually go for a walk after work, and by the time I walk around the block, the sun is setting.  And I'm usually only at around 2500 by then.

This is why I hate daylight savings time and winter...

Exercise is good, but not for weight loss. If you have enough weight to lose just focus on that. SBL has great advice. I'd add that different diets work better for different people but all they are, are different paths to the goal of reducing overall calories; whether it's keto or pescatarian. Just find something that works for you and just stop buying junk. 

10,000?  I usually go for a walk after work, and by the time I walk around the block, the sun is setting.  And I'm usually only at around 2500 by then.

This is why I hate daylight savings time and winter...

Yup 10 000. It's a very simple and easy way to burn some extra calories. Even just taking laps around your house count. Like others have mentioned though, eating less calories is key. You really can't out exercise a bad diet. There is this YouTube video I heard about of some very athletic guy eating 10 000 calories in one day, and then attempting to burn off that 10 000 calories in a day. Couldn't do it. He got up to about 7000 calories burned, and again was already in great shape. 

1-2 pounds lost per week is the healthy target you should be aiming for. Get into about a 500 calorie deficit, and you'll get there. A high protein diet will also help you feel fuller for longer, so you're not getting as hungry and cheating, and also make sure to be doing some heavy lifting exercises to build muscle, which will also increase your basal metabolic rate so that you'll be burning more calories even when you're not doing anything. 

This is what I do on my cut which lets me lose weight at a fairly steady pace.

Monday-Wends-Fri I have cardio days where I do a 2 hour bike ride but I'm allowed to drink beer and eat high caloric food.

Tues-Thus-Sun I have low calorie days where I eat about 600 calories most of which are protein

Saturday is a cheat day.

You just have to find something that works for you.