~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

4 hours ago, Joestradamus said:

My sister's boyfriend (unvaccinated) tested positive Monday morning. My sister and my other sister tested positive yesterday. My mom, brother and two nieces (2 yrs and 5 yrs old, both unvaccinated) are all stuck in the same apartment trying their best to quarantine. My wife and I were in close proximity to my sister's bf on Sunday, who was suspecting of it being covid at that time but didn't say a damn word. We tested immediately because of panic and that came back negative, but we're going back for a second covid test tomorrow morning. In the last couple hours I've started feeling body aches a little... I'm hoping that's just anxiety doing me in.

3 cousins, 2 aunts, and supposedly even my aunt's dog tested covid positive this week.

For almost two years we've avoided this shit and it's started to hit us all here.

Don’t panic, you’ll be fine

5 hours ago, Joestradamus said:

My sister's boyfriend (unvaccinated) tested positive Monday morning. My sister and my other sister tested positive yesterday. My mom, brother and two nieces (2 yrs and 5 yrs old, both unvaccinated) are all stuck in the same apartment trying their best to quarantine. My wife and I were in close proximity to my sister's bf on Sunday, who was suspecting of it being covid at that time but didn't say a damn word. We tested immediately because of panic and that came back negative, but we're going back for a second covid test tomorrow morning. In the last couple hours I've started feeling body aches a little... I'm hoping that's just anxiety doing me in.

3 cousins, 2 aunts, and supposedly even my aunt's dog tested covid positive this week.

For almost two years we've avoided this shit and it's started to hit us all here.

Are you going to throw your sister's boyfriend into a volcano?

23 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I agree (in theory), but I don't know if that can be done in practice. The entire idea of just protecting the vulnerable (even with less-contagious strains earlier on) was never a fully-formed concept. How do you protect people in LTCs, for example? Obviously vaccination+boosters. But then you have the staff who have their own lives and families. You can mandate vaccination for them, but you can't control how they live outside of work. I'm not disagreeing with you, just that there's never been very well thought out solutions.

I understand your point. I would have thought our leaders would have learned the lessons after the 1st wave, but we are having the same issues with Omicron (based on the outbreak status in LTC homes).

There are 3 things that we know that work to prevent Covid.

1)  Isolation

2) Respiratory Protection (i.e. KN95, C95, N95)

3)  Vaccination

We're woefully behind on our boosters, and I'm still seeing surgical masks being used at testing centres/vaccination centres.  

The same goes for schools right now. I think that closing schools will slow the spread (because let's face it, governments are 100% lying when they say there is no spread in schools). Okay, so close them and help spread out this wave to reduce the chance of overloading hospitals. But, I also think it won't really do much since Omicron is still spreading everywhere else. Okay then, so keep them open. Except it's not that easy, either, because we can't keep them all open since so many kids and teachers are getting sick. Okay, so...keep them open, but having rolling closures as staff get sick? There's no actual, real solution to this, unfortunately, and I think that's why governments don't know what to do. With Delta we could control the spread, but with Omicron we can't.

It's all about trade-offs.  We know there are real costs to keeping the schools closed (mental health, significant impact to child development, childcare issues).

We just don't know about the benefits.  Is there some transmission in schools -- yes?  Is it more/less than the alternate solutions that working people use when schools are closed?  Dunno.

The school closures we have seen so far in Ontario are not related to staffing shortages.

So I think we agree that the decision to close schools (among other things) isn't being made for the correct reasons...but I also think that there was no actual good decision in the first place. Close them or keep them open...they are all going to have disruptions/closures at some point anyway, and the school year is going to suffer (as well as parents needing to find childcare/take time off, etc).

I think this is where we disagree.  Closing schools has a real harm on the development/mental health of children (backed up by lots of things I have read from pediatric doctors and psychologists).  I can't speak for other kids, but the cumulative effects of school shutdowns are likely to have long-term impact on my eldest son (who is on the spectrum, has special accommodations in school, and is not thriving in an online environment.)  My daughter (in kindergarten) is significantly behind in reading to where here brother's were at her age.

• Thanks 1

Online teaching is also significantly harder than in person teaching. And again most teachers unions don’t want to close down school they just want them safe—testing, masks, vaccinations, ventilation, and a plan for at what point do we simply have to shut down school because there’s too many teachers out (something we already do for the flu and RSV)?

• True 1

So the current conspiracy nonsense going around in Canada is that hospitals/governments aren't properly differentiating between people hospitalized for COVID, and incidental COVID hospitalizations (where they are admitted for something else, but upon arrival test positive for COVID). Some provinces are starting to differentiate and roughly half of current Omicron hospitalizations may be incidental. They are using this stat to insist that COVID is (and never has been) as serious as the government says it is...and if they are "lying" about this, tHeN wHaT eLsE aRe ThEy LyInG aBoUt? However, there are a few important factors that these idiots gloss over:

• People who test positive need to be placed in COVID wards for isolation, which:
    • Takes up more resources (PPE, etc)
    • Takes more time to treat them
  • There is a gray area for many incidental cases. Someone admitted for a broken leg is incidental...but someone admitted for a heart attack who has had ongoing COVID at home could have had their situation influenced by COVID, even if it isn't the cause of admission
  • Most importantly, ICU cases are rising quickly in many provinces, and those are overwhelmingly non-incidental:

FIgBhGsX0AQevD8?format=png&name=large

So yes it's important to differentiate between someone admitted for COVID and someone who is simply COVID-positive, but of course it's being completely blown out of proportion by chuds everywhere. Also, incidental admissions were likely a far lower proportion during previous waves, but they don't understand the difference in transmissability, etc.

38 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Online teaching is also significantly harder than in person teaching. And again most teachers unions don’t want to close down school they just want them safe—testing, masks, vaccinations, ventilation, and a plan for at what point do we simply have to shut down school because there’s too many teachers out (something we already do for the flu and RSV)?

Absolutely. Honestly, if a few things were put in place for schools (and had been since the beginning) then I think there would be far less of a concern:

• Mandatory masking 100% of the time, preferably with free N95-equivalent
  • Overhaul of ventilation systems
  • Free daily rapid tests

Yes even those things would be shitty for kids/teachers to deal with...but far, far preferable to schools being shut down/online. 

3000.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

President ‘appalled’ at the large numbers of Filipinos not vaccinated ‘galloping in our community’

The Philippine president, Rodrigo Duterte, has ordered the arrest of unvaccinated people who violate stay-at-home orders aimed at curbing “galloping” coronavirus infections driven by the Omicron variant.

The government tightened restrictions in Manila and several provinces and cities this week. Unvaccinated people among the capital’s 13 million people were ordered to stay home, after infection numbers tripled in the last two days.

Health officials said infections were projected to increase further in the coming days and would peak by the end of the month.

“Because it’s a national emergency, it is my position that we can restrain” people who have not got their shots, Duterte said in a pre-recorded message on Thursday.

“I am now giving orders to the [village chiefs] to look for those persons who are not vaccinated and just request them or order them, if you may, to stay put.

People hoping to get vaccinated against Covid-19 queue outside a health centre in Las Piñas, Metro Manila, Philippines.
Manila in lockdown as Delta cases soar in Philippines

“And if he refuses and goes out of the house and goes around in the community or maybe everywhere, he can be restrained. If he refuses then the [official] is empowered to arrest the recalcitrant persons,” he added.

• Like 1
  • True 1

2 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

Are you going to throw your sister's boyfriend into a volcano?

Yes, actually my wife was the first to show anger over this because she and her mom were together on Sunday after we were exposed, the next day her mom had surgery early in the morning and was a nervous wreck all day scared... it didn't help her being traumatized by the death of her aunt a year ago due to covid.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Interesting. So what he is saying is that really old laws maybe shouldn't be enforceable because times have changed? Hmm, I wonder what that would affect (in practice)...

Any time you begin a question with “ask what he is saying” you are 100% of the time about to say something they didn’t say :p 

What Robert’s is actually arguing, like it or not, is that the law means what it means and if congress today wants it to mean a new things because Covid, they need to make it mean the new thing before the executive can do the new thing.

31 minutes ago, Jason said:

yeah we're fucked

Has OSHA ever imposed extra risk ?

The answer is yes. 

Wearing a fall harness and falling/hanging puts the wearer in bad state and can even cause death. The risk of that though is far out weighed by the amount of lives it saves. 

covid-cda-20211210.JPG
WWW.CBC.CA

Provinces are likely to introduce mandatory vaccination policies in the coming months to deal with the recent surge in COVID-19 cases, Health Minister Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos said today.

These decisions are happening months after they should.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

88% of people are double vaccinated.

31% of people in ICU are double vaccinated.

Think Stephen Colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert 

Yeah, vaccines are working incredibly well. When you look at the age figures it actually amplifies their efficacy (since the people double-vaccinated in ICU are typically quite vulnerable/old to begin with).

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:
covid-cda-20211210.JPG
WWW.CBC.CA

Provinces are likely to introduce mandatory vaccination policies in the coming months to deal with the recent surge in COVID-19 cases, Health Minister Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos said today.

These decisions are happening months after they should.

Definitely. It would be interesting to see what form this takes. Monthly fines administered by CRA? From public polling it seems that the vast majority (north of 70%) support mandatory vaccinations in Canada.

Google simply isn’t working for a lot of people, who’ve been turned away by too-full testing centers and empty shelves. So people attempting to track down COVID-19 tests have found an unlikely “solution:” turning to video game console restock experts, who have begun tracking COVID-19 testing kits alongside Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo hardware. Current-generation consoles like the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 have been in short supply since they launched in 2020, creating a culture of console tracking; Twitter users tracking restocks have gained massive audiences across social media platforms, simply by informing folks when consoles are in stock. The bleak scarcity of COVID-19 tests and the difficulty in acquiring them, echoes the culture of console tracking — but on a much more urgent need, caused by the country’s infrastructure failures.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yeah, vaccines are working incredibly well. When you look at the age figures it actually amplifies their efficacy (since the people double-vaccinated in ICU are typically quite vulnerable/old to begin with).

One thing I'm wondering is where the booster efficacy numbers are coming from because everywhere I'm getting tested in Los Angeles is still only asking about your first two shots.