~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

29 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

There might not be the need...but ICU cases are rising rapidly in Canada. Also keep in mind that most of the developed world has far fewer hospital beds per capita than the US (for generally good reasons), so less room to expand (plus needing the staff for it, etc). I'm not saying it will get extremely bad over large regions all at once...it just shouldn't be too flippantly ruled out. We already had hospitals in Canada overrun just over a month ago and are finally back under critical ICU levels.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

To be clear, my comment was more making fun of people who say there is no reason to worry because it is mild, all the while they ignore the more massive spread, like you said. It's definitely milder...but that won't matter for hospitals if we get 10x more cases.

Also for that France variant, I already posted earlier that it's been around since October and appears to be far less contagious than Omicron, so is less of a worry.

I am not worried because Omicron is mild, I am vaccinated, wear KN95 masks when I am out, am in my mid-40s and have no comorbidities.  The massive spread doesn't make me worried about me (or my family).

Keeping me (and my children) at home, out of movie theatres, restaurants and gyms does nothing to keep people out of ICUs.

Keeping my kids out of schools does nothing to keep people out of ICUs (I don't have ICU data, but only 40 kids in Ontario have been hospitalized during the entire pandemic, so I assume the amount of kids in ICUs is significantly less than that).

My parents and inlaws (who are in their 70s) are avoiding going out (restaurants, movies, etc.) even though they are vaccinated/boosted, and wearing KN95 masks (some that I provided).  Given their age and health -- they should take extra precautions.  Because they science says they are *more* at risk.

Targeted actions at unvaccinated/high risk individuals keeps people out of ICUs.  And even with our ridiculous high case counts, our ICU usage is still only ~25% of the peak of the 3rd wave.

I am not sure you are lumping me in the group that you are making fun of.  But, ATM, I am pretty comfortable with my risk assessment.

45 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It’s been just around the corner for 20 months!

I mean...my province literally ran out of hospital beds and had to ship something like 25% of our COVID ICU patients across the country to the only province that had space. We just got the last one back last month. As I said, America is unique in its hospital capacity.

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I mean...my province literally ran out of hospital beds and had to ship something like 25% of our COVID ICU patients across the country to the only province that had space. We just got the last one back last month. As I said, America is unique in its hospital capacity.

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig
WWW.LATIMES.COM

Officials are urging California to make it easier to transfer hospital patients to places like L.A. County.

One of the things that has probably made the pandemic easier on our family is we’ve always home schooled our kids. I’ve yet to hear a family with kids in public/private school say they’ve been really pleased with how school has gone during the Covid era.

61d36e9b87e64b0018e12fe3?width=1200&form
WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

In New York City, teachers who tested positive five days earlier can return to the classroom if they have mild or no symptoms.

For teachers who test positive, symptoms that would allow them to return include a "minimal cough" — they can't be "coughing up phlegm" — and symptoms have to be mild or improving. Teachers will have to distance themselves if they take off their "well-fitting higher-level face covering" to eat or drink. They also must "must continue to stay at home outside of work" and "observe" other elements of isolation until 10 days pass.

They will not need a negative test to return to school. 

:silly:

I really hate that I had to go and get my wife and older kid their own high quality masks instead of being provided to all teachers and students. Both schools have a relatively high % of poor and Black students so it would even be a social justice thing! 

At least my daughters school has in room air filters care of the CARES Act. I can only assume that my wife’s school has not had any upgrades to its air filtration despite being next door to an HVAC training school/HVAC business

• Like 1

My experience with it was that it was barely even a mild cold, like in normal times I might have called off the first day cause i had some mild fatigue and a runny nose, but by the second day i barely even had the runny nose, my biggest issue was the kids were sick with colds, my son tested positive on saturday but its likely he was already over most of it cause he was asymptomatic at that point and had tested positive for a rhinovirus earlier in the week, but since hes too young to vaccinate hes still under the 10 day quarantine, meaning hes out of daycare till the 12th, not that i'm complaining cause it gives me a good reason to take half days for the next week.

So I can easily see most people being good with a 5 day quarantine if they're vaccinated and not having symptoms, my school sent out the same guidance, basically if you're not hacking or blowing your nose just come back to work, and they're not charging us those days off.  Theres also nothing really to stop you from saying you're still not good enough to return as it leaves you the option to say you're still too sick, since you have COVID you're not really allowed to go to the DR's office so its not like they can ask for a note or someshit, lol.

6 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

My resolution this year was to try and get back in better shape, but with omicron, I'm afraid to go back to the gym.

You don't need a gym in order to exercise and get in shape. I started working out from home when the pandemic first started and lost 30 lbs. Eat less and eat healthier to lose fat. Go for a run. If you have any equipment like dumbbells or a treadmill/elliptical use them. There's also plenty of bodyweight exercises you can do too if you want to build muscle. Don't let the lack of access to a gym stop you. 

5 hours ago, Brick said:

You don't need a gym in order to exercise and get in shape. I started working out from home when the pandemic first started and lost 30 lbs. Eat less and eat healthier to lose fat. Go for a run. If you have any equipment like dumbbells or a treadmill/elliptical use them. There's also plenty of bodyweight exercises you can do too if you want to build muscle. Don't let the lack of access to a gym stop you. 

Same here. I've lost about 30 pounds since March. No need for a gym at all.

15 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Deaths might be baked in from earlier Delta cases, hard to say for sure.

However, hospitalizations are definitely on the rise. ICUs are also rising fast.

FIWPfTfXEAYhH_V?format=png&name=large

Currently 288 people in ICU, only 86 of which are fully vaccinated.

For context, the original "bend the curve" plan in March/April 2020 had a stated objective of keeping ICU usage under the 2,184 "expanded" capacity. 

18 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Currently 288 people in ICU, only 86 of which are fully vaccinated.

For context, the original "bend the curve" plan in March/April 2020 had a stated objective of keeping ICU usage under the 2,184 "expanded" capacity. 

I am very confident that our medical system currently could not even handle the just-under 1000 ICU beds that were occupied in the third wave in Ontario. The issue isn't beds, it's staffing. There simply aren't enough staff to go around, and that number has been shrinking for the last two years. Hospitals simply can't retain staff at this point, even with cash bonuses or firing/re-hiring them as travel nurses (for twice the wage). 

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Found this interaction from a john’s Hopkins T cell immunologist

Just something to keep in mind if you want to go down the @Jason route

and for some more good news

Yeah even if everyone in the world catches this, it's always going to be multiple-times more dangerous than the flu based on the way it attacks the body (and the body responds). I hope this results in massive increases into antiviral research.

In seriousness, I was going to wait until at least 6 months from my end of July booster to go get my fourth shot and only did it because of the combo of omicron+imminent air travel. So I'm hoping the predictions of omicron burning itself and thus the pandemic out turn out to be right and that this shot just gets me through the time it takes for that to happen so I can chill out on additional shots for a while.

The people who are actually screwed are probably the people getting like 10 doses in a week under other people's identities. :p Israel already doing fourth shots makes me think I should be fine as long as I cool my heels for a while now. 

covidtest_01072021_getty.jpg
THEHILL.COM

Florida Surgeon General Joseph Ladapo said on Monday it was time to "unwind" the "testing psychology" many Americans have developed throughout the pandemic, as COVID-19 cases surge in his state. 

He added that people were planning and living their lives around testing but said it was "really time for people to be living, to make the decisions they want regarding vaccination, to enjoy the fact that many people have natural immunity."

Lapado's comments come as COVID-19 cases are surging in Florida and around the country. 

The Florida Department of Health reported 298,455 new cases with a positivity rate of 26.5 percent for the week of Dec. 24 through Dec. 30, compared to 128,186 cases the week of Dec. 17 and 29,514 cases the week of Dec. 10.

8 hours ago, Brick said:

Well, I can't really go for a run.  I'm too overweight for that, so I'd probably fuck up my knees.  I can go for daily walks and eat less, at least.  And no, I don't have any equipment at home, and trying to buy any would cost me an arm and a leg.

13 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Well, I can't really go for a run.  I'm too overweight for that, so I'd probably fuck up my knees.  I can go for daily walks and eat less, at least.  And no, I don't have any equipment at home, and trying to buy any would cost me an arm and a leg.

Just do portion control and you'll start losing weight. Don't over think it!

15 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Get yourself a dog to force you to walk them daily and boy they will have you on your toes in them puppy years of energy. I’m a big guy too but the walks are sometimes what I need just as much as the dog some days. 

13 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Get yourself a dog to force you to walk them daily and boy they will have you on your toes in them puppy years of energy. I’m a big guy too but the walks are sometimes what I need just as much as the dog some days. 

Can't get a dog, sadly.  My apartment complex doesn't allow them

• Like 1
  • Sad 2