~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

45 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

My wife is vegan and even she approved of this little chart because sex noises at the gym. It's her greatest pet peeve.

31 minutes ago, Comet said:

Vegan here, can confirm 

Being a vegan is totally fine! ... as long as you’re not preachy about it :nottalking: 

omg

Then [Fauci] brings in Scott Atlas [as a pandemic adviser], who was a complete foil to poor Debbie Birx. I felt so bad for her, because he completely undermined her. He didn’t undermine me, because I didn’t give a shit about him. I didn’t really care what he said, because my home base was [the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, where he has been the director since 1984]. But Deb’s home base was the White House.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2021/01/anthony-fauci-trump-biden-and-covid-19-crisis/617838/

:lol:

8 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Being a vegan is totally fine! ... as long as you’re not preachy about it :nottalking: 

That's the problem... there literally is no way to talk about it without coming off preachy. Maybe there are a very small amount of people that are vegan for allergy reasons or something related, but 99.99% of people who are vegan choose to be so because they think it's either better for your body, better for the animals, better for the Earth, or some combination thereof. It is literally impossible to talk about any of those things without making it seem like you think everyone ELSE doesn't care about their body, doesn't care about animals, or doesn't care about the Earth. In a sense, it's a naturally antagonistic position. If they think they're right, it necessitates that you're wrong.

I say that as a shitty vegetarian (shitty in that I still eat meat every once in a while because I love chicken wings and fish, and I can't help myself sometimes)

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

That's the problem... there literally is no way to talk about it without coming off preachy. Maybe there are a very small amount of people that are vegan for allergy reasons or something related, but 99.99% of people who are vegan choose to be so because they think it's either better for your body, better for the animals, better for the Earth, or some combination thereof. It is literally impossible to talk about any of those things without making it seem like you think everyone ELSE doesn't care about their body, doesn't care about animals, or doesn't care about the Earth. In a sense, it's a naturally antagonistic position. If they think they're right, it necessitates that you're wrong.

I say that as a shitty vegetarian (shitty in that I still eat meat every once in a while because I love chicken wings and fish, and I can't help myself sometimes)

I mean, you can just say “oh, I’m vegan” if someone asks, you don’t have to get into your morals or whatever. I don’t get into the “why” if someone asks me what I want to eat.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I mean, you can just say “oh, I’m vegan” if someone asks, you don’t have to get into your morals or whatever. I don’t get into the “why” if someone asks me what I want to eat.

I've yet to have someone not ask why when I'm so much as eating a vegetarian meal

On ABC, I think I saw 66% effective overall (EDIT: "In the trial, the Johnson & Johnson vaccine proved to be roughly 66% effective at stopping a person from developing mild COVID-19 with symptoms. But it was 85% effective at preventing severe illness that could send a person to the hospital") and 100% in preventing hospitalization/death

"Highly effective"

johnson-johnson-vaccine-ap-mo-20210129_1
ABCNEWS.GO.COM

The 1-shot vaccine can be stored in a refrigerator for months, and 100 million doses could be ready by June if the FDA gives the green light.

In another promising development for vaccine science, Johnson & Johnson says its vaccine -- a single shot tested against a complex barrage of newly emerged COVID-19 variants -- is 66% effective at preventing symptomatic disease and 85% effective against preventing severe illness.

Broken down by region, the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, in the trial, was 72% effective in the U.S., 66% in Latin America and 57% in South Africa.

We are spoiled by the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines because they are revolutionary, but a vaccine being 65% effective at preventing transmission (and 85% effective at stopping severe illness) is, historically, massively effective. If 70-80% of people took the J&J vaccine, we would stop COVID-19. So, combined with the mix of other vaccines, it is a great vaccine especially because it only requires normal refrigeration, meaning it can be sent to remote parts of the world more quickly and easily.

I will never understand people who are exhausted by vegans. I’ve heard more about paleo and ketosis in the last several years than I have about being vegan in the entirety of my life and I’m married into a family with several vegans. Where are you fuckers going where vegans don’t shut up about being vegan?

EDIT - I mean this sincerely, it’s not a call out :p 

7 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I will never understand people who are exhausted by vegans. I’ve heard more about paleo and ketosis in the last several years than I have about being vegan in the entirety of my life and I’m married into a family with several vegans. Where are you fuckers going where vegans don’t shut up about being vegan?

EDIT - I mean this sincerely, it’s not a call out :p 

I’ve never even met someone that was paleo. People do keto in phases and might be excited to tell people they are doing it (I’ve been there), but they are nowhere near as preachy or judgmental as vegans. 

15 minutes ago, Joe said:

I’ve never even met someone that was paleo. People do keto in phases and might be excited to tell people they are doing it (I’ve been there), but they are nowhere near as preachy or judgmental as vegans. 

There's moral, ethical, and environmental aspects to veganism/vegetarianism that doesn't exist in other dietary preferences. So even if you matter of factly state in response to "why are you a vegetarian/vegan?" that "I'm vegetarian because of the carbon or environmental impact / the cruelty of the conditions in the raising and slaughter of meat for consumption/etc" it is not preachy or judgemental, but it is seen that way because many people accept these answers but they also accept the implication that because they do eat meat they don't care about reason x as to the preference of the person being questioned. So people get defensive and complain about judgemental and preachy answers.

When I was vegetarian I didn't bring it up and if asked at work or anything i just said it was for my health and you get about the same response as if you're paleo or whatever.

10 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

There's moral, ethical, and environmental aspects to veganism/vegetarianism that doesn't exist in other dietary preferences. So even if you matter of factly state in response to "why are you a vegetarian/vegan?" that "I'm vegetarian because of the carbon or environmental impact / the cruelty of the conditions in the raising and slaughter of meat for consumption/etc" it is not preachy or judgemental, but it is seen that way because many people accept these answers but they also accept the implication that because they do eat meat they don't care about reason x as to the preference of the person being questioned. So people get defensive and complain about judgemental and preachy answers.

When I was vegetarian I didn't bring it up and if asked at work or anything i just said it was for my health and you get about the same response as if you're paleo or whatever.

I don’t think explaining why you are vegan is preachy at all. That’s not what I was referring to! I dislike the people that make comments to you for eating meat, etc.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Joe said:

This is what I mean, though. I’ve literally never encountered a vegan being preachy IRL. I have seen plenty of people eye roll at vegans when we order takeout or something and they ask if we can order from a place that has more than one vegan thing on the menu, or heard people tell them that humans only evolved the way we did because we eat meat, etc.

I know it’s sampling randomness, it’s just funny to me to have literally never encountered the thing that people complain about and have only encountered people complaining about THAT.

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

This is what I mean, though. I’ve literally never encountered a vegan being preachy IRL. I have seen plenty of people eye roll at vegans when we order takeout or something and they ask if we can order from a place that has more than one vegan thing on the menu, or heard people tell them that humans only evolved the way we did because we eat meat, etc.

I know it’s sampling randomness, it’s just funny to me to have literally never encountered the thing that people complain about and have only encountered people complaining about THAT.

Yeah it's all anecdotal, I guess. My godmother is vegan and she is quite a handful lol, Even yelled at me when I excitedly told her about the Impossible Burger years ago because she said "meat is disgusting! I don't want anything that appears meat-like!"

15 minutes ago, Joe said:

Yeah it's all anecdotal, I guess. My godmother is vegan and she is quite a handful lol, Even yelled at me when I excitedly told her about the Impossible Burger years ago because she said "meat is disgusting! I don't want anything that appears meat-like!"

Literally had someone at a bbq say they had to go inside when the grilling began because meat cooking smells like rotting flesh to them, and how much better off the world would be if everyone was a vegetarian like them.

Anyway, any and all people that preach dietary nonsense are assholes that should be avoided - whether vegans, intermittent fasters, keto-zealots, or the average omnivore. I will say that the anti-sugar people are legit the worst, though. :p