~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Fat chance of convincing people without symptoms to allow a blood test. I thought this was America!

If we can get the 75+% of people who are cool with lockdowns (per latest polling) to do it, the last 25% will be able to free ride their way into safety.

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Imagine the current generations having to live through WWII.

Uhgggghh...but I want butter for my toaaast! I've never even seen a German, I think the government is blowing it out of proportion. If I can't buy whatever I want, then that's not freedom. End the war and let the Germans do whatever they want, it doesn't affect me, and I want my butteeeeeerrr."

Except they don't want butter. They want cheesecake factory. 

Very good thread. To stop this virus and return to something resembling a normal life, we need to actually care for some of the most vulnerable and exploited members of society.

So fat chance of that happening in this US. We can't even guarantee these people health care, let alone protect them from a deadly virus.

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Very good thread. To stop this virus and return to something resembling a normal life, we need to actually care for some of the most vulnerable and exploited members of society.

So fat chance of that happening in this US. We can't even guarantee these people health care, let alone protect them from a deadly virus.

Jesus loved America and we're going to do this the Christian way and make them pray! 

Sweden either peaked or is a few days away according to officials there. Their big failure seems to be a one shared all over: old age homes. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/30/health/report-covid-two-more-years/index.html

Expert report predicts up to two more years of pandemic misery

The new coronavirus is likely to keep spreading for at least another 18 months to two years—until 60% to 70% of the population has been infected, a team of longstanding pandemic experts predicted in a report released Thursday.

They recommended that the US prepare for a worst-case scenario that includes a second big wave of coronavirus infections in the fall and winter. Even in a best-case scenario, people will continue to die from the virus, they predicted.

They said government officials should stop telling people the pandemic could be ending and instead prepare citizens for a long haul.

Three scenarios are possible, they said:

Scenario 1: The first wave of Covid-19 in spring 2020 is followed by a series of repetitive smaller waves that occur through the summer and then consistently over a one- to two-year period, gradually diminishing sometime in 2021

Scenario 2: The first wave of Covid-19 is followed by a larger wave in the fall or winter and one or more smaller waves in 2021. "This pattern will require the reinstitution of mitigation measures in the fall in an attempt to drive down spread of infection and prevent healthcare systems from being overwhelmed," they wrote. "This pattern is similar to what was seen with the 1918-19 pandemic."

Scenario 3: A "slow burn" of ongoing transmission. "This third scenario likely would not require the reinstitution of mitigation measures, although cases and deaths will continue to occur."

States and territories should plan for scenario 2, the worst-case scenario, they recommended.

Plus, he said, some states are choosing to lift restrictions when they have more new infections than they had when they decided to impose the restrictions.

"It is hard to even understand the rationale," Lipsitch said.

I think most of us here realize this...but many in the public do not. I still see people thinking that life will return to "normal" in the fall/winter, and that a vaccine will certainly be rolled out in Jan/Feb. Yes, there is a chance that the Oxford trials (or others) could go well and production starts, but as the article says, the roll out of a vaccine will take time, and likely won't be readily available until mid-2021 at the earliest.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Sweden either peaked or is a few days away according to officials there. Their big failure seems to be a one shared all over: old age homes. 

Sweden has about triple the total number of deaths as the other three Nordic countries combined. It also far eclipses other Nordics combined in new daily deaths, and new daily cases. These other countries also have since passed their peaks in apparent new cases and deaths, while Sweden still has yet to do so. They're not exactly doing that great lol

9 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I think most of us here realize this...but many in the public do not. I still see people thinking that life will return to "normal" in the fall/winter, and that a vaccine will certainly be rolled out in Jan/Feb. Yes, there is a chance that the Oxford trials (or others) could go well and production starts, but as the article says, the roll out of a vaccine will take time, and likely won't be readily available until mid-2021 at the earliest.

We have mandated masks throughout our operation. I have an employee that hates wearing masks and thinks that they will only be wearing them for a couple more weeks and this whole thing will blow over. I didn’t tell him, but I plan on keeping the masks up for months with no end date. 

11 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

So we've got at least another year of this.   Does this mean a whole year of social distancing?

4 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

Is't because doctors and nurses are way overworked that causes them to commit suicide?

From my experience, it's a combination of the workload (the patients we're seeing are sicker than many other ARDS patients), the additional stressors of caring for a novel disease, and the extra emotional burden in supporting people in isolation (happening also in non-COVID units). Thankfully we haven't been hit hard, so we've been able to process things and provide support when needed.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Sweden has about triple the total number of deaths as the other three Nordic countries combined. It also far eclipses other Nordics combined in new daily deaths, and new daily cases. These other countries also have since passed their peaks in apparent new cases and deaths, while Sweden still has yet to do so. They're not exactly doing that great lol

They chose a different path.

Their neighbors had artificial peaks, as is most of the lockdown world that are now trying to figure out how to manage a large scale second wave. Sweden likely won’t have any sort of large scale second wave and they won’t have to stay in lockdown for an extended period of time. Maybe that is preferable.

10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Their neighbors had artificial peaks, as is most of the lockdown world that are now trying to figure out how to manage a large scale second wave. Sweden likely won’t have any sort of large scale second wave and they won’t have to stay in lockdown for an extended period of time. Maybe that is preferable.

Do we know what % of their population is likely infected though, based on the ICU/death rate? Because if they are only at 2x or 3x the rate of their neighbours, then they are still likely a long ways from herd immunity, too.

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

Florida and WWE, leading the way:

Didn't polls show that something like 90% of the population didn't expect large sporting events to return for monthes and even into the Fall?

It's insane just how much big business and the ultra wealthy are trying to drag the public along with this stuff. Yet you worry how much those opinions will change once Fox News and Trump put their weight behind turning it into a partisan issue.

Oh, and I'll have you know that Vincent Kennedy McMahon doesn't need some pandemic telling him to only sell a quarter of the capacity of arenas. He's been doing that at house shows for years!

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

No one knows what's going to happen with the second wave for Sweden or for other countries. It's supposition at this point. Interesting control group though.

12 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Do we know what % of their population is likely infected though, based on the ICU/death rate? Because if they are only at 2x or 3x the rate of their neighbours, then they are still likely a long ways from herd immunity, too.

A couple weeks ago they published numbers based on random sampling of antibody testing that in Stockholm they were already north of 1/3rd of the population and anticipated being over 60% by the end of May. Haven’t seen updated numbers since then, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they were still on course for that. The rest of the country was lagging a few weeks behind, so they estimated they could be north of 60% nationwide sometime in June.