17 dead from duck boat disaster

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/07/21/grab-the-babies-duck-boat-tragedy-kills-nine-members-of-the-same-family/?utm_term=.f9e9ab51262e

One survivor lost three children and her husband along with 5 other family members.

If you want to donate to help her with this tragic loss: https://www.gofundme.com/coleman-family-boat-accident?

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

But black people not knowing how to swim is legitimately a thing? 

It’s definitely a thing and harkens back to segregation when many pools were white only, and blacks were treated violently at the pools that weren’t officially segregated.

My Granny still won’t go near a pool.

But I’m pretty sure most folks who are proficient in the pool would have had difficulty in a boat capsizing scenario in the middle of a powerful storm.

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

But I’m pretty sure most folks who are proficient in the pool would have had difficulty in a boat capsizing scenario in the middle of a powerful storm.

This occurred to me, but 14 out of 31 people on the boat survived. 

• Guillotine 2

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

This occurred to me, but 14 out of 31 people on the boat survived. 

You are really committed to this angle :lol:

1 minute ago, SFLUFAN said:

There are life vests but they were not wearing them and were told they would not need them.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

There were. But the captain said you’ll most likely not need these.As they head towards a storm. It happened quick, no time.

Also I’m not sure you were aware, but black people were involved.

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

Is there any evidence that supports this notion?  If so, I would like to read it.  

Also, if so, would it be wrong to post it?  Why or why not?

https://www.amazon.com/Contested-Waters-History-Swimming-America/dp/0807871273?crid=2RPPDCTSRALG3&keywords=contested+waters+a+social+history+of+swimming+pools+in+america&qid=1532219544&sprefix=contested+water&sr=8-1-fkmrnull&ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmrnull_1

It’s a good book that covers the issue in depth.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

It’s definitely a thing and harkens back to segregation when many pools were white only, and blacks were treated violently at the pools that weren’t officially segregated.

My Granny still won’t go near a pool.

Back when I went through Navy boot camp in 2003, most of the guys who needed to learn how to swim were black.  There was a very shallow pool next to the real pool for all the guys who didn't know how to swim yet.  

2 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Depending on the facts and circumstances, there could be "criminal negligence" involved.

This is probably going to do them in:

The National Weather Service before noon had predicted the possibility of serious storms and high winds by late Thursday afternoon and issued a warning that a storm was imminent at 6:32 p.m.; the boat sank at about 7 p.m.

https://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/article/Inspector-warned-duck-boat-company-of-design-13094546.php

A private inspector said Saturday that he warned the company operating duck boats on a Missouri lake about design flaws putting the watercraft at greater risk of sinking, less than a year before the accident that killed 17 people during a sudden storm.

Steve Paul, owner of the Test Drive Technologies inspection service in the St. Louis area, said he issued a written report for the company in August 2017. It explained why the boats' engines — and pumps that remove water from their hulls — might fail in inclement weather.

He also told The Associated Press that the tourist boats' canopies make them hard to escape when they sink — a concern raised by regulators after a similar sinking in Arkansas killed 13 people in 1999.

The accident Thursday evening on Table Rock Lake outside the tourist town of Branson also is raising questions about whether storm warnings in the area went unheeded and whether any agency can keep boaters off the water when inclement weather approaches. 

"If you have the information that you could have rough waters or a storm coming, why ever put a boat on that water?" Paul said.

I was talking to a lawyer friend of mine and he said it’s unlikely given Missouri tort law that this company will face any real monetary penalty. Given the situation, it’s also unlikely the insurance company will pay out liability claims and will say the coverage was invalid due to operational and fleet maintenance issues.

Some truly infuriating stuff continues to come out about these jackals.

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I was talking to a lawyer friend of mine and he said it’s unlikely given Missouri tort law that this company will face any real monetary penalty. Given the situation, it’s also unlikely the insurance company will pay out liability claims and will say the coverage was invalid due to operational and fleet maintenance issues.

Some truly infuriating stuff continues to come out about these jackals.

better hit the gofundme link so we the people can help them instead of the people who should