Introducing the Analogue Pocket

chakoo

I wouldn’t get too distracted with it playing off real carts. Expect a firmware that would allow playing games off the sad card like all their other fpga consoles. 

This looks cool even has a dock for tv. $200 is steep but I’m interested in the rare consoles the losers like the lynx, game gear, neon geo pocket and wonder swan.

this is Kevtris again and he is really good at this stuff.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

It looks nice, but requiring physical cartridges makes it much harder to actually use. I imagine there's a very niche market for this, but it's not me, and in an age where convenience is king, I don't think I'm alone.

Uhh, all past units got “unofficial” firmware that ran games off the sd card. So not an issue. They’re also adding a second fpga that other devs can use, which means ported mister cores and more systems.

with that said, the retro forum is filled with crazy people who still have a decent amount of carts. :D

I am for sure getting this. I have literally hundreds of Game Boy/Game Boy Color/Game Boy Advance carts so this is a slam dunk for me. Looking forward to the peripherals that allow use of Game Gear, Lynx and Neo Geo Pocket carts, too. Not sure if I need the dock, though.

On 10/27/2019 at 11:23 AM, DPCyric said:

The design is super classy but I've been finding it difficult to convince myself to play anything on that small of a screen anymore.

You could just get the dock (sold separately) and play the games on your TV or monitor.

I'm considering getting this for the Lynx functionality as it's the only handheld from my childhood I hung onto.  It's especially exciting as Lynx emulation has never exactly been perfect.  I just wonder how it'll deal with a few of the titles which operate in the vertical position such as Gauntlet.

• 2 years later...

IT HAS ARRIVED. AND IT IS GLORIOUS. 

FHE_X29XIAAVag2?format=jpg&name=small

FHE_X2_XIAk-jCD?format=jpg&name=small

FHE_X29WUAc05Eg?format=jpg&name=small

I got the handheld itself, the dock and the Game Gear adaptor. Also the link cables and HDMI cords, etc. And a tempered glass screen protector. I would get the Lynx and Neo Geo Pocket Color adaptors, but they were not available when I pre-ordered. But that's fine. For now. Anyone else get theirs yet? @chakoo @CastlevaniaNut18 @sblfilms

• Like 2

Beautiful, I really wanted one but could not pre-order when they were up, plus not a fan of paying that much for something that takes almost years to show up (I give an exception to new wave toys because they update customers all the time unlike analogue).

I’ll probably end up not getting one till 2023 when they’re more commonly in stock with all the adapters.

Got my Pocket last week and decided to wait until Christmas to open it.  Mine is a dud unfortunately.  My Pocket does not seem to want to power on constantly.  It's pretty much a 50/50 gamble if the screen will turn on from a cold boot or from sleep mode.  Last attempt I made, all I got was a glowing white light at the bottom of the handheld.  Got the LED light to go dark, hit the power button again, LED lit up again and no display.  Boxed it up after than and have sent an email off to request a replacement.  

I wish somebody could test Smashing Drive for the GBA on it.  It's the only game I tested on it and the speakers on it were distorting like crazy.  Would like to know if it's a firmware bug or just my handheld being broke in more than one way.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Raggit said:

@Kal-El814 @GameDadGrant Would you recommend picking up the screen protector with it? I'm thinking about getting one, was wondering if I should get the screen protector with it. (Yeah, I realize that I'll be getting it in 2023....)

I did, mainly because of my long standing love affair with accessories. Whether or not you’d need it is probably a personal thing. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Raggit said:

@Kal-El814 @GameDadGrant Would you recommend picking up the screen protector with it? I'm thinking about getting one, was wondering if I should get the screen protector with it. (Yeah, I realize that I'll be getting it in 2023....)

As with any screen protector, it’s not *absolutely* necessary. It’s purely up to personal preference.

That said, I got one and I love it. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Biggie said:

So it’s update time. How is everyone enjoying their Analogue Pocket?! @Rodimus @GameDadGrant @Raggit @Kal-El814 @vaxick 

Sending my Pocket to Analogue for repairs.  While my original power issue was fully resolved with the latest firmware update, my right shoulder button has almost no travel on some spots on the button.  Hopefully it'll be all good to go once I get it back.  Waiting a month for a response from their support team wasn't too fun.