BUTTERYMALES! State Dept. intensifies email probe of Hillary Clinton’s former aides

Jason

2 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Retroactive classification?!?

WHAT. THE. HELL.

We now have an established pattern of blatant abuse of classification authority coming from this administration. First classifying the transcript of the Ukraine call and now going after people over retroactively classified information (which if I followed right is CLEARLY not worthy of being classified). 

4 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

I assumed this was in pursuit of criminal charges but yeah on that I think you're right.

The article doesn't talk about criminal charges, just "potential security violations".

As many as 130 officials have been contacted in recent weeks by State Department investigators — a list that includes senior officials who reported directly to Clinton as well as others in lower-level jobs whose emails were at some point relayed to her inbox, said current and former State Department officials. Those targeted were notified that emails they sent years ago have been retroactively classified and now constitute potential security violations, according to letters reviewed by The Washington Post.

Many of those who have been targeted by the probe and found “not culpable,” described it as an effort to harass diplomats for the routine conduct of their job.

Those targeted do not appear to be in jeopardy of criminal prosecution — the FBI investigation of the Clinton email case has been closed since before the 2016 election. But many fear the results of the probe will damage their reputations and complicate their ability to maintain security clearances.

Several said they have received follow-on letters saying that investigators “determined that the [security] incident is valid,” but that they did not “bear any individual culpability” — an ambiguous designation that could pose complications in future background checks and confirmation hearings.

“It gives them a way to hassle pretty much anyone,” a former senior U.S. official said.

On 9/28/2019 at 7:59 PM, 2user1cup said:

It's a distraction

It’s more than a distraction. I’m struggling to think of the appropriate word, but Republicans always need some energy, some cause, to project their anger and persecution on to.

It was Obama, and then economic anxiety, Hillary Clinton’s emails, and now Joe Biden and Ukraine. 

18 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

It’s more than a distraction. I’m struggling to think of the appropriate word, but Republicans always need some energy, some cause, to project their anger and persecution on to.

It was Obama, and then economic anxiety, Hillary Clinton’s emails, and now Joe Biden and Ukraine. 

Victim complex

20 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Scapegoat?