|||| Canadian Election 🍁 Sorry |||| Liberals win plurality, stay in power.

The Rhino Party Maxime Bernier has received more votes than the previous Rhino Party record so running a candidate with the same name seems to have paid off. Too bad the difference between first place and Bernier isn'tΒ closer,Β it would beΒ hilarious if Bernier lost by fewer votes than the other Bernier gets.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Canada is now the first western nation to complete shut down the populist right...which is fantastic. Bernier is done, I think, and the CPC's worst tendencies have also gone nowhere.

Β 

Edit - having said that, I almost guarantee that people in the west are going to start talking about Wexit.

lol it's already happening with the boomers and boomers at heart on my twitter feed.Β 

18 minutes ago, atom631 said:

I dont follow Canadian politics but from what I hear around here, Trudeau is really disliked in Canada. Other than the blackface thing, why is he so disliked? and if hes so disliked, how did he get re-elected?Β 

Β 

I think there were some folk from other leftist parties who strategically voted for the Liberal party according to an NPR report I quickly heard during my drive this morning.

2 hours ago, atom631 said:

I dont follow Canadian politics but from what I hear around here, Trudeau is really disliked in Canada. Other than the blackface thing, why is he so disliked? and if hes so disliked, how did he get re-elected?Β 

Andrew Scheer (the leader of the other major party, the Conservatives) is just-as (or more) disliked than he is.Β  Trudeau has had several major ethics scandals including inappropriately getting involved in an RCMP investigation of a company that had bribed the Libyan Government, and accepting gifts from foreign royalty.Β  He is viewed by many on the right as an ineffective leader, who has multiple failings in dealing with foreign governments.

He was re-elected because of the similar dislike for Scheer, and the fact that his support was more efficient than Scheer's at delivering seats in the House of Commons.

IMHO, Scheer's social conservatism (anti-abortion, viewed as intolerant of LGBT community, etc.) hurt his chances in the largest province of Ontario, and made him unpalatable to many centrists there.

23 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Even more Wexit tweets this morning and on Facebook. Russian bots are moving fast.

Β 

I cannot wait for the Western Provinces, and England and Wales, to join the United States of America!Β  You will finally be free of the shackles of the crown.