|||| Canadian Election 🍁 Sorry |||| Liberals win plurality, stay in power.

So the Conservatives actually won the popular vote, but the Liberals won more ridings allowing them to win? 

Hmm after the electoral college bullshit that allowed Trump to win, and how I've said that America needs to adopt a winner by popular vote system (although not a winner take all approach), I'm conflicted how I feel about this when a similar thing just happened to us to prevent a right wing shit bag like Sheer from winning. 

3 minutes ago, Brick said:

So the Conservatives actually won the popular vote, but the Liberals won more ridings allowing them to win? 

Hmm after the electoral college bullshit that allowed Trump to win, and how I've said that America needs to adopt a winner by popular vote system (although not a winner take all approach), I'm conflicted how I feel about this when a similar thing just happened to us to prevent a right wing shit bag like Sheer to lose. 

revenge of the sith episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

8 minutes ago, Brick said:

Hmm after the electoral college bullshit that allowed Trump to win, and how I've said that America needs to adopt a winner by popular vote system (although not a winner take all approach), I'm conflicted how I feel about this when a similar thing just happened to us to prevent a right wing shit bag like Sheer to lose. 

Our situation is much better though, as we elect a parliament, not a Prime Minister. It is more similar to how the GOP in the US can win more seats in the House there while losing the popular vote to the Democrats. The difference, of course, is that gerrymandering is a real problem in the US, while in Canada it is not (except that some smaller provinces like PEI have more seats per capita than others). Having said that, because we have more viable parties now, we really do need some form of proportional representation.

31 minutes ago, Brick said:

Iirc conservatives got ~35% of the vote but lpc+greens+ndp ("the left"-ish, generally) got like 55% or so. Which is great since they have a parliamentary system

35 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Our situation is much better though, as we elect a parliament, not a Prime Minister. It is more similar to how the GOP in the US can win more seats in the House there while losing the popular vote to the Democrats. The difference, of course, is that gerrymandering is a real problem in the US, while in Canada it is not (except that some smaller provinces like PEI have more seats per capita than others). Having said that, because we have more viable parties now, we really do need some form of proportional representation.

Oh absolutely our system is much better. Could use some tweaks of course, but it's much better than the American system. More proportional representation would be nice so that no matter what party you vote for at least that will help them get more seats, rather than how it is now in that you have to hope your choice party wins in your area, otherwise your vote counts for nothing. That's why strategic voting happens, and why I voted Liberal to prevent the Conservatives winning in my area, rather than voting for Singh who I preferred as the better candidate. 

Bots are starting to fan western separatism, and it's working. I don't think it will go anywhere, but it is going to completely entrench the Conservative base, which will mean they will not adapt with a proper climate plan, etc. Also, people from AB are now attacking people from Newfoundland online for some reason, even though both provinces are quite similar...except that NFLD elected Liberals:

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

They are also saying that since the Liberals didn't get seats in two provinces (AB and SK) they don't have legitimacy. But the conservatives also didn't elect any MPs in 2 provinces.

You have now entered the "there are different rules for conservatives, as told by conservatives" phase of Western democracy