Animal Crossing: New Horizons (20 March 2020) OT - Island Getaway

I have not been paying attention to this game, so I’m sure this is old news, but the fact that a save is tied to your system is incredibly stupid.

My good friend got Animal Crossing and his wife fell in love with the game, but they didn’t really want to buy another switch just to play one game together. I offered to lend them mine, since there isn’t anything I’m excited about on the release calendar, but there’s no way to transfer your save to another system. That’s bonkers. I don’t know what they’re trying to prevent with this game, but I’m certain it’s a problem that has long been solved by other games that do not require your data being tied to a specific piece of hardware.

Especially for a game that dosn’t have a competitive element to it, I can’t understand why they’d take such draconian measures.

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm waiting in line to offload turnips now. I got kicked out of one queue after selling my first batch, so I had to find another to join. :/

Yeah, it’s hit or miss. I’ve been kicked from a couple queues, but once I’ve gotten to someone’s island, it’s been smooth sailing. 

Just now, Emblazon said:

Yeah, it’s hit or miss. I’ve been kicked from a couple queues, but once I’ve gotten to someone’s island, it’s been smooth sailing. 

Like, I'd just asked the person if they required payment for each trip, she replied, "no, you're good." and as soon as I got on my flight out, I got booted.

I'd wait for this board this week, but I'm about to have a crappy work schedule and may not have time after tonight.

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I have not been paying attention to this game, so I’m sure this is old news, but the fact that a save is tied to your system is incredibly stupid.

My good friend got Animal Crossing and his wife fell in love with the game, but they didn’t really want to buy another switch just to play one game together. I offered to lend them mine, since there isn’t anything I’m excited about on the release calendar, but there’s no way to transfer your save to another system. That’s bonkers. I don’t know what they’re trying to prevent with this game, but I’m certain it’s a problem that has long been solved by other games that do not require your data being tied to a specific piece of hardware.

Especially for a game that dosn’t have a competitive element to it, I can’t understand why they’d take such draconian measures.

They're trying to prevent save scumming to keep the games played at moderate pace. The Switch has no mechanism for moving saves between consoles except through cloud saves, so they disabled cloud saving for this game. However, they didn't do anything to prevent time traveling so what they didn't want to have happen happened on day one. They killed interest rates at the bank to try to slow folks down, but I doubt interest was much if a money maker for very many players. Nintendo has a very specific idea for how this game should be played and they're really trying to prevent people from min maxing this game. I'm almost positive that's the reason they even introduced durability into tools and limit crafting to one item at a time.

20 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I'm almost positive that's the reason they even introduced durability into tools and limit crafting to one item at a time.

Then why is it we can only buy things 1 or 5 at a time?

We should be able to choose a number we want to buy of. :p

38 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I thought @Triage had an impressive island but I just went to another island that is close to giving her a run for her money. :o

I've seen some amazing islands and terraforming.. There was one creepy style completely up my ally and I was impressed. Well I do have graveyard now. 

11 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

They're trying to prevent save scumming to keep the games played at moderate pace. The Switch has no mechanism for moving saves between consoles except through cloud saves, so they disabled cloud saving for this game. However, they didn't do anything to prevent time traveling so what they didn't want to have happen happened on day one. They killed interest rates at the bank to try to slow folks down, but I doubt interest was much if a money maker for very many players. Nintendo has a very specific idea for how this game should be played and they're really trying to prevent people from min maxing this game. I'm almost positive that's the reason they even introduced durability into tools and limit crafting to one item at a time.

I guess I hadn't really looked into it before since I'd never had any reason to. I figured that save games would either be stored on SD cards or even the game cartridges themselves, I forgot the Switch even has internal memory.

13 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Save scumming isn't even completely blocked though. Loaded up the game and I broke one of my rocks so I quit the game and tried again. Not sure why the rock broke in the first place because if I had a piece of fruit I'd eaten that I'd forgotten about reloading the game and promptly hitting the rock again shouldn't have prevented it from breaking the second time. And when sblfilms had everyone over to his daughter's island I accidentally put my Switch to sleep after selling my turnips but before getting back to my island so that was all undone. You can't play for an hour and decide that you want to save scum but there's still room to undo unfavorable outcomes.

IMO it just adds to the incentives to jailbreak the device, just like not wanting to let you back up saves locally because that presented a jailbreak opportunity on past systems is probably one of the main incentives people have for jailbreaking.

15 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Anyone have some yellow roses? I'm trying to build a garden wagon and I need three of them. I'm more than happy to also build one for anyone assuming I get extra yellow roses. I have plenty if the other flowers.

Yeah brother, I can send you some seeds in a bit. 

• Thanks 1