Animal Crossing: New Horizons (20 March 2020) OT - Island Getaway

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Jason said:

Nintendo handling save scumming with a sledge hammer. They could have also like just only allowed one recover from the cloud with a call required for additional recoveries. I'm more concerned with my Switch dying than being able to move around my save like a crazy person.

22 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Nintendo handling save scumming with a sledge hammer. They could have also like just only allowed one recover from the cloud with a call required for additional recoveries. I'm more concerned with my Switch dying than being able to move around my save like a crazy person.

It seems it actually is cloud saving, you just can’t retrieve it. So lost or stolen, and I assume broken switches can get their save back by calling Nintendo. So you shouldn’t have to worry about losing it, at least. It doesn’t include moving to a different switch if say you have an og and a lite and want to move it from one to the other though.

Its still really lame but at least you don’t have to worry about actually losing your save like I did with pokémon let’s go when my first switch was stolen.

Doom Eternal And Animal Crossing Fans Have Become Supportive Friends

Over in the Doom subreddit, fans are posting a variety of artwork featuring the Doomguy and Isabelle, Animal Crossing's adorable little Shih Tzu. The crossover art is rendered in a bunch of different styles, from traditional Animal Crossing fare to memes and everything in between.  

The Animal Crossing subreddit is populated with similar art and memes. These include pictures of Isabelle "standing guard" in front of Doomguy, old-school Doomguy purchasing New Horizon's at an in-game shop, and more. Sometimes competition and rivalry aren't negative, and these communities show that.

I never really got into Animal Crossing, so the new one would be a good time to try, but what exactly is the appeal of the series? It's not like an adventure, or action, or puzzle game where I know the objective and what to aim for. It just seems to be a game about doing chores to decorate. I only ever tried the Wii game, but since online sucked for that system I guess I wasn't really all that engaged as I could be. I'll give this new one a shot to see if it's my thing. Seems like a game you need to play with friends. 

6 minutes ago, Brick said:

I never really got into Animal Crossing, so the new one would be a good time to try, but what exactly is the appeal of the series?

Collecting stuff, decorating stuff, fishing, visiting neighbors, upgrading your house. Seeing your friend's house.

If this doesn't sound like your thing then maybe it's not a game for you.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/21/2020 at 1:27 PM, Brick said:

I never really got into Animal Crossing, so the new one would be a good time to try, but what exactly is the appeal of the series? It's not like an adventure, or action, or puzzle game where I know the objective and what to aim for. It just seems to be a game about doing chores to decorate. I only ever tried the Wii game, but since online sucked for that system I guess I wasn't really all that engaged as I could be. I'll give this new one a shot to see if it's my thing. Seems like a game you need to play with friends. 

it's one of those games to get your gf/wife/mother to quit complaining to you about playing video games all day because they will be playing animal crossing all day/night.  Think it's considered a sim.

Game Information

Game Title: Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Platforms:

• Nintendo Switch (Mar 20, 2020)

Publisher: Nintendo

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 92 average - 100% recommended

Critic Reviews

CGMagazine - 10 / 10

Animal Crossing: New Horizons takes everything good about Animal Crossing, and improves it ten-fold.

Cubed3 - 10 / 10

As in the past games, Animal Crossing: New Horizons is rich with culture, community, humour and charm. There's a reason why the series has such a dedicated fan base - and with such hype, there's always the worry that the expectations may not match reality.

However, New Horizons exceeds expectations in every way! The perfect gateway game for many people and with added touches of magic, Animal Crossing: New Horizons is the perfect for players old and new!

Daily Mirror - 5 / 5 stars

Long time fans of Animal Crossing will have plenty to love with New Horizons and for younger players who may be unfamiliar with past entries, the appeal will become immediately apparent in its presentation. Animal Crossing: New Horizons is a must play for any Nintendo Switch owner.

Daily Star - 5 / 5 stars

Similar to how Breath of the Wild and Odyssey reimagined 3D Zelda and Mario, New Horizons represents an exciting new milestone for the Animal Crossing series.

Forbes - 10 / 10

Know that if you’re overwhelmed with the world, stuck inside, or adrift in a life that you know will look totally different next week — get Animal Crossing.

God is a Geek - 10 / 10

A beautiful, welcoming game that is everything and anything you want it to be. This is one you'll play all year and beyond, and it's exactly what the world needs right now.

Nintendo Life - 10 / 10

Animal Crossing: New Horizons takes Animal Crossing and not only drags it back onto home consoles, but improves upon every single facet imaginable.

Telegraph - 5 / 5 stars

While a deserted island is the setting for a shedload of games, from Fortnite to Far Cry, none have ever tried very hard to live up to the Desert Island Discs dream that most of us have fantasised about at one time or another.

TrustedReviews - 5 / 5 stars

Animal Crossing: New Horizons is the best game I've played this year, and immediately cements itself as one of the generation's defining experiences. Fans will be playing it for years, watching as the seasons roll by and unveil the true potential of what has been created here.

VG247 - 5 / 5 stars

Animal Crossing: New Horizons is everything I hoped it would be, and it’s yet another stellar release that showcases a confident Nintendo at its best. It is excellent, and is easily another must-own Switch title – at least, if you can understand and embrace Animal Crossing’s uniquely lazy pace.

Gamerheadquarters - 9.5 / 10

Animal Crossing: New Horizons is the sequel I’ve been waiting for, providing countless hours of gameplay and being a near perfect experience.

GamesBeat - 95 / 100

The best thing I can say about New Horizons is that I think it's going to win over some players who previously bounced off the franchise. And it will do so without losing any longtime fans in the process. Those players will find more to love than ever before.

Pure Nintendo - 9.5 / 10

Animal Crossing: New Horizons hit every checkbox for me. It's clear in their handling of New Horizons that Nintendo truly cares about this series and understands its value to its audience.

The Games Machine - Italian - 9.4 / 10

If you've never played a game in the series, New Horizons is a great start. On the other hand, if you are already familiar with Animal Crossing, you will find a good amount of nostalgia but also pleasant little news, which will make this new adventure worthy of being lived day by day.

Wccftech - 9.4 / 10

I adore Animal Crossing: New Horizons, and this is quickly becoming one of my most-played games on Nintendo Switch. If you've ever had a love slow-paced social sims like Animal Crossing or The Sims, this game is essential.

Areajugones - Spanish - 9.3 / 10

Animal Crossing is back with New Horizons. A game that feels big, polished and absolutely addictive. Ninteno has managed to create yet another entry in the series that has enough changes without leaving behind the feeling and philosophy of Animal Crossing.

Spaziogames - Italian - 9.3 / 10

Animal Crossing: New Horizons easily wins the "best entry in the series" title, bringing in much needed new content in the franchise.

Atomix - Spanish - 92 / 100

Animal Crossing: New Horizons is just the game we wanted and much more. This franchise demonstrates once more why it is so special.

COGconnected - 92 / 100

If you’ve ever had even a whiff of interest in this franchise, Animal Crossing: New Horizons will be an absolute slam dunk. Don’t sleep on this one for a second.

Cerealkillerz - German - 9.2 / 10

Good things take time, a luxury that benefits Animal Crossing in particular! New Horizons extends the life simulation with an impressive island building simulator that is bursting with creativity and richness of detail. This makes the trip to your own oasis of wellbeing a fantastic gaming experience that knows how to inspire for many weeks and months.

IGN Italy - Italian - 9.2 / 10

Animal Crossing: New Horizons change the game in a lot of subtly but meaningful ways, giving it more depth, freedom and a better flow.

GRYOnline.pl - Polish - 9 / 10

In case of Animal Crossing, a dull slogan like “this game is addictive” becomes true. I have been, with utmost pleasure, fishing, and planting flowers; I have decorated my house and talked to the residents of the island, and it was all fun. And even though I've spend more than 50 hours with New Horizons, there are still lots I of things haven’t seen. If you own a Switch and like splendid grind, you simply have to play it.

Game Informer - 9 / 10

A new challenge system reinvigorates the familiar core, providing a wonderful incentive to explore all of Animal Crossing's myriad activities. This cheerful life sim is the next best thing to an actual vacation

GameMAG - Russian - 9 / 10

Animal Crossing: New Horizons significantly expands the functionality of New Leaf, but remains the same familiar game in the genre of contemplative life simulator. It is a very competent, detailed project of amazing, subtle beauty, which must be in the collection of every owner of the Nintendo Switch.

GamePro - German - 90 / 100

Animal Crossing New Horizons creates a versatile and deep life simulation despite peaceful island life.

Gameblog - French - 9 / 10

The fresh thrill of discovering an uninhabited atoll tends to fade once such wild life gets cosier with crafted items, buildings, shops and incoming residents, until it looks like a village from the previous iterations. But the larger size of this wholly reshapable island, the customization's vertiginous level and the improved community interactions create an even more fertile ecosystem, hence Animal Crossing can slowly though decidedly stare further, towards New Horizons, equipped with an ever updating NookPhone.

GamesRadar+ - 4.5 / 5 stars

There continues to be nothing quite like Animal Crossing, and New Horizons proves that there's life in the old Nook yet.

Glitched Africa - 9 / 10

Animal Crossing: New Horizons is not for everyone. Its snail-pace progression may turn you off and its tedious mechanics can be an issue to get through at times. However, it acts as an escape from the world for a few hours where you can build your dream island, run around in the rain in your undies and catch a whale shark with a flimsy fishing rod. There’s a lot to love about the game but there’s also a lot to hate. One thing is for sure, Animal Crossing: New Horizons is like adopting a pet, you will be stuck with it for months and years ahead as you nurture it and love it every single day.

IGN - 9 / 10

Animal Crossing: New Horizons is an expanded, polished, next-generation reboot of a classic Nintendo game that's full of surprises.

Just Push Start - 4.5 / 5

There is no denying Animal Crossing: New Horizons won't appeal to everyone. However, given how so many things have changed, it's nice to have a routine and other mundane tasks that give your life a sense of normalcy. Not only is it relaxing in general, it's the kind of escape that is perfect in a time when things are everything but. It might not be the best in terms of pacing, but anyone willing to invest in this adventure and give the simple charms a genuine try will likely be surprised by just how fun it can be.

Metro GameCentral - 9 / 10

Animal Crossing finally gets a sequel that moves the franchise forward, in a surprisingly timely release that is perfect for this year in terms of both its gameplay and its philosophy.

Screen Rant - 4.5 / 5 stars

Tom Nook's latest venture is profitable for fans and villagers alike.

Tech Advisor - 4.5 / 5 stars

The hype for Animal Crossing: New Horizons wasn't an exaggeration - it's relaxing, heart-warming and an all-round beautiful game for the Switch that is likely to sit up with other legendary Nintendo games like Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey for years to come.

TheSixthAxis - 9 / 10

Animal Crossing: New Horizons is the perfect island escape, drawing you in to play day after day. All of the charms of the series' previous games are here, but with gorgeous new graphics, DIY crafting and the eventual ability to remodel your island, you can really create the island settlement of your dreams.

USgamer - 4.5 / 5 stars

With real-world headlines more harrowing than ever, there's never been a better time to go on vacation within Animal Crossing: New Horizons.

VideoGamer - 9 / 10

Animal Crossing: New Horizons is beautiful and peaceful, offering safe harbour from the stresses of everyday life. There's so much to do and so much to see, so what's wrong with making a back seat?

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 88 / 100

Animal Crossing New Horizons adds new customization elements, tools, objects and activities to the classic formula. It´s not a game for everybody, but fans will love it.

Critical Hit - 8.5 / 10

Animal Crossing: New Horizons is a game that manages to be wholeheartedly cathartic, relaxing and adorable for every second you play despite some legacy flaws and clunky menus that may vex just a little too much

Destructoid - 8.5 / 10

Honestly, 18 days is far too little time to generate a comprehensive assessment of Animal Crossing: New Horizons. There is still much I don't know about this game, including how in-game purchases will ultimately be incorporated. But based on what I have been able to experience, it's what I've wanted Animal Crossing to be for many years. While it fumbles its camping-inspired opening, New Horizons makes a nice recovery with a strong focus on player accomplishment, creating a potent sense of achievement in this idyllic piece of escapism.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 8.5 / 10

It's a special game, Animal Crossing: New Horizons. An addictive diversion that allows you to escape from the daily routine to discover an alternative, made of flowers to plant, of strange talking animals, of a wandering disengagement between rivers and beaches.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 8.2 / 10

Animal Crossing debuts on Nintendo Switch with New Horizons, a game that draws heavily from users of previous titles feedback, but with too slow a progression in comparison.

Digital Trends - 4 / 5 stars

Animal Crossing: New Horizons is the escapism we need right now.

GameSpot - 8 / 10

Animal Crossing: New Horizons gives you more creative freedom and more to do on any given day while preserving what makes the series special.

Post Arcade (National Post) - 8 / 10

Nintendo's adorable life simulator is blissfully free of anything more stressful or worrisome than rain showers and bug bites

Ars Technica - Unscored

Animal Crossing games have always delivered a compelling version of self-quarantine, and this one overflows with quantity, without sacrificing quality, to do so at a scale series fans have never seen.

EGM - Unscored

For now, Animal Crossing: New Horizons feels like a no-brainer for fans of the franchise, and a perfect place to start for newcomers—with the exception of ruining every other previous Animal Crossing game, should you ever want to go back to them.

Eurogamer - Essential

An impressive suite of improvements combine with a more clearly defined structure for Animal Crossing's finest outing to date.

GameXplain - Loved

Video Review - Quote not available

Kotaku - Unscored

I know this can’t last forever. But in the meantime, I’m going to absorb as much from my time here as possible in the hopes of taking at least a little bit of Aurora back with me.

NintendoWorldReport - Unscored

Even after all these years, there is a daily routine that I hold dear and makes me adore the various elements that glue this game together. It has been sharply dialed up to eleven, without disagrading any newcomers.

Polygon - Polygon Recommends

Animal Crossing: New Horizons is a respite from the current state of the world. I find my general anxiety slowly subside as I run through my town, water my plants, and build furniture for the sassy chicken gentleman living down by the beach. It’s exactly what I need right now.