The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

Wait, so a criminal will be deterred by lights but not an actual locked door? Yeah that's bullshit... sorry.

Yes. For the same reason that homes on cup de sacs are more likely to be robbed. Or houses with no cars parked out front are more like to be robbed. The thief is looking for houses that seem vulnerable and give them the maximum time to get in and get out unnoticed. By the time a burglar has made the decision to break in to a home, a locked door isn’t a factor in the equation generally because residential locks are junk and they can just kick the door in.

The stats on this are quite clear. I’ve mentioned before that prior to the theater business, I was a locksmith for a decade. Helping people make good security decisions was my job and knowing how thefts tend to go is a big part of that.

Door locks on your house keep honest people out, that’s about it.

6 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Home invasions happen, of course, and I understand the fear. But I'd wager that making your home look occupied and having a security system are dramatically more effective than keeping a gun in the house to thwart a robbery, since robbery is a crime of convenience.

I've said it in the past, but I just want to clarify, I don't have guns because I'm fearful and want to defend myself. That wasn't in my mind when I bought them. Most of the time, I don't even think about them or notice them. It's just more what I'd hope to be able to do in a hypothetical situation. I agree that deterring criminals is more effective than having a gun around. 

And I don't usually think about home invasions, except when these discussions pop up or I've watched too much true crime on Netflix. :p 

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Uh they absolutely do exactly that... are you kidding? They know that a lot of folks don't like their doors apparently.

Sorry, should have been more clear. They weren’t on my street which always had people on it and someone doing that would be obvious. If someone gets into an apartment building or if they’re in an area where they can do that non obviously, it happens for sure. Just meant to suggest that “opportunity” means different things in different areas. 

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

Yes. For the same reason that homes on cup de sacs are more likely to be robbed. Or houses with no cars parked out front are more like to be robbed. The thief is looking for houses that seem vulnerable and give them the maximum time to get in and get out unnoticed. By the time a burglar has made the decision to break in to a home, a locked door isn’t a factor in the equation generally because residential locks are junk and they can just kick the door in.

The stats on this are quite clear. I’ve mentioned before that prior to the theater business, I was a locksmith for a decade. Helping people make good security decisions was my job and knowing how thefts tend to go is a big part of that.

Door locks on your house keep honest people out, that’s about it.

My father and other law enforcement professionals I know would disagree so forgive me if I take their opinions and expertise on the subject over yours and continue to lock my doors.

5 hours ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Ridiculous. Nobody ends up in someone else’s home by mistake. 

lolno

The dude passed out on my couch was pretty clearly there by mistake. Based on how he was dressed and how it went down I'm pretty sure he was intending to get into a different apartment in the building after a night of partying, and then stumbled into the wrong apartment after getting buzzed in. 

I have yet to meet a cop or security expert who would say "Lights are more secure than a good strong locked door." Maybe against mole people or Nosferatu... but actual criminals? Damn the hills people strive to die on on this board never cease to amaze me.

31 minutes ago, Jason said:

lolno

The dude passed out on my couch was pretty clearly there by mistake. Based on how he was dressed and how it went down I'm pretty sure he was intending to get into a different apartment in the building after a night of partying, and then stumbled into the wrong apartment after getting buzzed in. 

I actually did this myself once... came home in a particularly festive mood and walked up to my neighbors door instead of mine. He must've had his door unlocked because I opened his door and stumbled in before realizing I was in the wrong apartment.  Thank God he didn't shoot me but if he did, I wouldn't have liked it... I also couldn't really blame him.

• Haha 1

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

I have yet to meet a cop or security expert who would say "Lights are more secure than a good strong locked door." Maybe against mole people or Nosferatu... but actual criminals? Damn the hills people strive to die on on this board never cease to amaze me.

That isn’t what I said. What I actually said is that proper exterior lighting matters more (to avoiding home break ins) than locking your doors, and that is true because home break ins start way before the person ever gets to your door. This isn’t a remotely controversial notion in the realm of home security.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

That isn’t what I said. What I actually said is that proper exterior lighting matters more (to avoiding home break ins) than locking your doors, and that is true because home break ins start way before the person ever gets to your door. This isn’t a remotely controversial notion in the realm of home security.

It's pretty :duckhuntdog:to somehow make the leap that it's therfore not worth locking your doors. 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

It's pretty :duckhuntdog:to somehow make the leap that it's therfore not worth locking your doors. 

I didn’t say that either. I said locking your doors doesn’t really stop break-ins because you just get your door kicked in instead. The vast majority of home invasions involve forced entry because once the decision is made to break in, a locked door isn’t likely to deter the person. My point isn’t that you shouldn’t lock your door, only that is of minor consequence to whether or not you will be the victim of a home invasion :) 

Just like a week and a half ago someone tried to get into my apartment while I was out, they removed the bottom door knob. But I had the top lock also locked so they did not get in. They didn’t make a big scene trying to kick my door open, they gave up and my place was not robbed (again).

Idk, locks can be p kewl.

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

Just like a week and a half ago someone tried to get into my apartment while I was out, they removed the bottom door knob. But I had the top lock also locked so they did not get in. They didn’t make a big scene trying to kick my door open, they gave up and my place was not robbed (again).

Surely you must have had mad floodlights deterring them doe.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

Surely you must have had mad floodlights deterring them doe.

Every inch of my apartment is covered in hue light strips, from the walls to the floor to the ceiling. Walking into my apartment is like walking into the middle of a rainbow.

11 minutes ago, stepee said:

Well clearly you had some underachieving criminals there... to let something as simple and pedestrian as a LOCKED DOOR prevent them from robbing you. A REAL criminal would have battered your goddamned door down with his only worry being a bright shiny light.

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Uh, because people actually break into people's houses maybe?

Damn D1P teaches me something else once again... apparently locking the doors to your home is unusual or something? :silly:

I lock my doors. That was not my point.

I probably shouldn’t advertise this but I have zero security other than locking the door. No gun, no weapons, no bat by the door. So if you break into my house my shit is yours now. I need to look into a security system. Also maybe a dog. But  I’m not ready for a dog to be shitting all over my lawn amd cleaning it up. 

Im also fat and out of shape, but if for some reason I can take you, I will kill you if you break into my house. 

3 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I probably shouldn’t advertise this but I have zero security other than locking the door. No gun, no weapons, no bat by the door. So if you break into my house my shit is yours now. I need to look into a security system. Also maybe a dog. But  I’m not ready for a dog to be shitting all over my lawn amd cleaning it up. 

Im also fat and out of shape, but if for some reason I can take you, I will kill you if you break into my house. 

Intruders beware lol.

19 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Bruh just buy some maximum security garden lights. 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I recommend a well-built katana. 

FYI, that's a joke, in case Emblazon sees it. No harm intended. :p 

6 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Locking doors to your home doesn’t stop break-ins, it just gets your door kicked in too :p

Auto burglaries are different though. Locked doors and your crap hidden away makes the probability of your car being broken into drop dramatically.

I mean if you have reinforced doors and door frames it can't be kicked in.

7 hours ago, Dodger said:

All you need is a good bright flashlight and you'll be ok. Those things are like goddamned light sabers to crooks :lol:

• Haha 2

On 8/31/2019 at 5:11 PM, sblfilms said:

I didn’t say that either. I said locking your doors doesn’t really stop break-ins because you just get your door kicked in instead. The vast majority of home invasions involve forced entry because once the decision is made to break in, a locked door isn’t likely to deter the person. My point isn’t that you shouldn’t lock your door, only that is of minor consequence to whether or not you will be the victim of a home invasion :) 

What about security doors, they do anything? I think they are ugly but I leave mine on so I can open the front door and let a breeze in and it keeps my cats from getting out.