The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Need more info. It’s easy to assume there was no ill intent, but bullies will often find ways to harm others that give an excuse for their actions. School yard games are a very common place for it.

I’m 99% sure they were playing gaga-ball (I have 12/10/8 year old children, it’s all the rage on the playground) which explicitly bans throws above the waist.

14 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Need more info. It’s easy to assume there was no ill intent, but bullies will often find ways to harm others that give an excuse for their actions. School yard games are a very common place for it.

I’m 99% sure they were playing gaga-ball (I have 12/10/8 year old children, it’s all the rage on the playground) which explicitly bans throws above the waist.

Making kids pick teams was FAR more traumatic than getting a dodgeball to the face.

49 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Making kids pick teams was FAR more traumatic than getting a dodgeball to the face.

“The cruelty is the point”

14 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Look, if its so dangerous for the kid to get hit by a ball, he never should have been playing a game where he got hit by a ball. There are tort laws that protect athletes from assault charges like this, and this kid got charged for one reason, Because he's black. The cop that charged this kid should be suspended, and the complaining mom needs to realise if her child can't be hit, he should not be playing contact sports. 

There really is a problem with people babying kids nowadays. Not everyone has to be able to do everything, life isn't fair. IMO, this is on the childs mom, who didn't inform the school her son couldn't play a game where people people regularly get hit in the face. 

Theres no more info needed. Suck it up and walk it off, or don't play. I'm sick of hearing parents scream every time children get knocked on their ass. The mom who called the cops is from the worst part of society. Helicopter parents are ruining their kids. 

1 hour ago, Anathema- said:

Helicopter parents aren't so much around anymore, that was more of a gen X thing.

absolutely not. Todays parents (and schools) are terrified their children might get hurt, or get their feelings hurt. Instead of just letting them learn on their own, they try to remove every bit of danger. Society is safer than it's ever, and children are babied and fawned over more than they ever have been. Discipline has dissapeared in favor of feelings, and god forbid a child be around anything slightly dangerous! 

3 hours ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Look, if its so dangerous for the kid to get hit by a ball, he never should have been playing a game where he got hit by a ball. There are tort laws that protect athletes from assault charges like this, and this kid got charged for one reason, Because he's black. The cop that charged this kid should be suspended, and the complaining mom needs to realise if her child can't be hit, he should not be playing contact sports. 

There really is a problem with people babying kids nowadays. Not everyone has to be able to do everything, life isn't fair. IMO, this is on the childs mom, who didn't inform the school her son couldn't play a game where people people regularly get hit in the face. 

Theres no more info needed. Suck it up and walk it off, or don't play. I'm sick of hearing parents scream every time children get knocked on their ass. The mom who called the cops is from the worst part of society. Helicopter parents are ruining their kids. 

These weren’t athletes playing a sport, they were kids on a playground. If one child intended to hurt the other, that isn’t some protected action. Even within the realm of sports, an intentional violent action outside the norms of the sport IS cause for lawsuits and even in some cases criminal charges.

But again, this wasn’t a sports competition so none of that is relevant.

Helicopter parenting is very much still a thing. My wife is a high school teacher, and a good friend of mine is a college professor. They both deal with it, believe it or not. (Professor can tell the parents to pound sand, their kids are adults)

Very Involved wealthy white parents are the worst though

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

These weren’t athletes playing a sport, they were kids on a playground. If one child intended to hurt the other, that isn’t some protected action. Even within the realm of sports, an intentional violent action outside the norms of the sport IS cause for lawsuits and even in some cases criminal charges.

But again, this wasn’t a sports competition so none of that is relevant.

It was children playing a game of dodgeball (which is a sport, there are leagues), and a kid got hit in the head with an inflatable rubber ball, not a rock. The whole point of the game is to hit other kids. 

I seriously can't believe people are arguing that this could be a crime. 

1 hour ago, TheGreatGamble said:

It was children playing a game of dodgeball (which is a sport, there are leagues), and a kid got hit in the head with an inflatable rubber ball, not a rock. The whole point of the game is to hit other kids. 

I seriously can't believe people are arguing that this could be a crime. 

They weren’t playing dodge ball, the game they were playing doesn’t involve throwing the ball at anybody, and the alleged incident happened after the game was over. They weren’t playing sports, but even if they were, if one player did something outside of the norms of the game with the intent to injure another player, it wouldn’t be a protected action. Which is why the information presented in the article isn’t sufficient to determine the validity of the charge. You are making a lot of assumptions to arrive at your conclusion.

Anyhow, the charges were dismissed.

14 hours ago, sblfilms said:

They weren’t playing dodge ball, the game they were playing doesn’t involve throwing the ball at anybody, and the alleged incident happened after the game was over. They weren’t playing sports, but even if they were, if one player did something outside of the norms of the game with the intent to injure another player, it wouldn’t be a protected action. Which is why the information presented in the article isn’t sufficient to determine the validity of the charge. You are making a lot of assumptions to arrive at your conclusion.

Anyhow, the charges were dismissed.

No, you assumed they were playing some other game. Every report says it was dodgeball. And your point is still ridiculous, because ten year olds miss. He didn’t have to be aiming for his head to hit it.

its seriously fucked up to defend the decision to charge him in the first place. 

5 hours ago, TheGreatGamble said:

No, you assumed they were playing some other game. Every report says it was dodgeball. And your point is still ridiculous, because ten year olds miss. He didn’t have to be aiming for his head to hit it.

its seriously fucked up to defend the decision to charge him in the first place. 

The article linked to in this thread says they were playing something like dodgeball, not dodgeball. Later stories confirmed what the game was and it wasn’t dodgeball or any game that involved throwing a ball at other players. The later stories also included a key detail: the ball throwing incident happened after the game was over.

And read carefully, I didn’t defend the decision to charge, I said you would need more information than what was presented in the original story to make a reasonable assessment of the charge.

You really do a poor job of hiding your true identity :p 

7 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

I laughed unreasonably hard when she is in the back of the cruiser and is like “I’m a country girl”. I know a LOT of those types :lol: